Track Identification Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Polydactyl kittens with the extra 'toe' on the inside of their feet are called mitten kittens. Some of them actually end up capable of using it almost like a thumb. Some of the smart wee blighters end up able to open door handles and unhook catches and the like.......don't think they've mastered the ring pull on the Whiskas cans yet though :D

Isn't the snow fun to track in ? :) I followed a line of prints down the back lane path under the trees and couldn't work out what the hang it was; turned out it was a seagull :rolleyes: out for a quarter mile walk :confused:
It flew off fine, maybe it just needed a wee break.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao::lmao:

That'd be a first; a seagull who doesn't fly as high as it can before it lets loose with a, "Garde de l'eau!" :D

cheers,
M

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Well it is in snow (how deep is the snow btw Red?) - could it be a cat that doesn't like snow on it's fur and is putting it's back paws down where it's front paws have been. thereby superimposing one print over another ?
I was reading through the thread and sure this is what was happening but you got there first. The firth toe doesn't look like from the same pad, I reckon its either walking directly on older tracks or more likely putting back feet onto spot vacated by front and overlapping slightly.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Could be that indeed, I have seen such things before, but I would have expected more blurring of the toe marks - the clear "between toe" definition lead me towards concluding it was a single print...I have been wrong many times before though!

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Did a bit more research :

From Animal Tracks and signs - Bang + Dahlstrom:
page 55 said:
Print Pattern: When walking on firm ground the hind foot is normally placedd ahead of the fore print: In snow it is placed on top of the fore print.Stride length is approx. 30cm and the straddle is distinct. When trotting, the hind foot is placed in the fore print and the stride length increases to 35-40cm.

Also from the Hamlyn guide to Animals : tracks, trails and signs by R.W.Brown, M.J.Lawrence and J.Pope:
page134 said:
Trail: many gaits are adopted. Stalking tracks are close together, frequently almost toe to heel. Walking gives widely spaced separate tracks. In trotting or running there is partial to complete registration and stride length increases.

so... was it walking or trotting? :)

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I'm no expert so don't laugh :) My first thought when I saw those prints was Otter (but you would see some tail marks if that was the case, yes?)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Snow has gone now - but I'll set a camera trap up when I get a minute

I like the theory of two prints superimposed, but the toe definition is so clear that I just can't see it in this case ...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You would see the web between the toes if it was an otter, besides they are too small. I don't think the overlapping print theory holds up on this one, the gait and definition on the edges of the print is too precise which suggests a single print. This is almost impossible to achieve on every print as evidenced by those in the picture, but as it is only a small section of the track, certainly should be considered improbable rather than impossible.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, if it 'is' a polydacyl cat, it's most likely to be someone's pet. Cats are territorial, it'll be back through if it is one.

I think, even with very cold snow, that the prints are too crisp to be oversteps. I freely admit though I'm no tracker, I just sort of keep an eye open for what's passing by :)

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
Supposedly they're lucky cats :D
They are generally very tame since folks think they are incredibly cute kittens and they are very used to being handled.

I quite fancy a Maine Coon or a Norwegian Forest Cat. One of them with polydactyl paws :D Now that'd be a set of tracks to worry about :)

My wee British Blue dislocated a toe when she was a kitten, and the vet said it wasn't bothering her and operating to fix it would mean finding hair like tendons, so it was just left alone. It means though that I can pick out Tamsin's tracks relatively easily.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If it is a cat, it is indeed a lucky cat....I didn't see it on our property ;)

Can't stand the things and generally ensure they won't be here again if I see em!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Your antipathy to the furry felines is well known :)......it's just a beast following it's nature, and they can be discouraged without hurting them.
Mine does a good job on keeping the mice out of the sheds :D

cheers,
M

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
I saw a fox walk on snow covered paths around my house and when I check out the tracks he had put his hind paws into the front paw track leaving an unusual track

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE