Herts Newest Allotment Owner!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
5 year waiting list its more like 20 years here!
I have started a co operative with some other like minded frustrated allotmenteers are now negotiating 4 acres of land!
Lots of hard work to do even before we put a spade in the ground!
D

W0lf

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2009
London
I took on a piece of land earlier this year, still lots to do, but some of it hadn't been touched for about 100 years, the rest about 25 years.

It started like this
2dir1vo.jpg

And looks a bit like this now
a4naiq.jpg

Have had a few bits and pieces from it already, 80lb of spuds, about 20lb of runner beans, and we have added three chickens and a huge shed.

Wings

That IS impressive! Need to work on a plan I think. Wouldn't be a problem if I could draw!!

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Once upon a time it was a victorian workers cottage garden, the houses have a good sized front garden but no back gardens, so they put them all at the end of the lane.

An old chap used to potter around in them up to 25 years ago, then he died and nothing was done with them, then his wife died a few years back, so I asked the son if I could buy from him, as you may tell, he said yes.

It took hundreds of hours I guess, and a heck of a lot of trips to the tip with the rubbish we had to remove, two trailers of scrap went to the recyclers for £60, that bought some fence posts and wire.

The raised beds are 8ft X 6ft or 10ft X 6ft so easy to reach from the sides without treading on them. I started with a plan, then it changed, then changed again, and again, so don't get too bogged down at this stage, if you go for planting areas then keep them simple, and use them for crop rotation, set aside a BIG area for compost bins, we have two 1mtr cubes and two compost bins already.

The better the job you do now the less you will eed to do later, it is to be enjoyed, not laboured over.

The shed is going to have an LPG hob and 12v lighting circuit, plus a genny for other stuff.

My patch is just 65ft X 20ft, very small compared to a "proper" allotment.

Enjoy it, it is great fun learning to grow your own and you will make loads of new friends as you work.

Wings

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
W0lf, big apologies for my tardy reply but i've been quite ill recently.
anyhoo those books i was talking about:

the first is a readers digest book called Food from your garden & allotment
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Garden...2636/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291629012&sr=8-1
actually a really good book giving a comprehensive guide on setting up the garden and maintaining it, an A-Z guide on crops, a growers calender, a section on pests and diseases and a section on preserving.

the second book is Allotment Month By Month
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allotment-M...0851/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291629158&sr=1-1
this is my bible, it tells you how to setup and gives you the know-how of your plot.
the big bit is the calender, its VERY comprehensive on what should be maintained, what should be planted and what should be pulled.
then it has another fantastic section on crop planning, what each crop likes and how to look after it etc. there's also a troubleshooter with pests and diseases listed etc.
all picture friendly too.
tbh this latter book is going to be my bible for my allotment (when i finally get one).
hope those help ;)

W0lf

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2009
London
W0lf, big apologies for my tardy reply but i've been quite ill recently.
anyhoo those books i was talking about:

the first is a readers digest book called Food from your garden & allotment
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Garden...2636/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291629012&sr=8-1
actually a really good book giving a comprehensive guide on setting up the garden and maintaining it, an A-Z guide on crops, a growers calender, a section on pests and diseases and a section on preserving.

the second book is Allotment Month By Month
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allotment-M...0851/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291629158&sr=1-1
this is my bible, it tells you how to setup and gives you the know-how of your plot.
the big bit is the calender, its VERY comprehensive on what should be maintained, what should be planted and what should be pulled.
then it has another fantastic section on crop planning, what each crop likes and how to look after it etc. there's also a troubleshooter with pests and diseases listed etc.
all picture friendly too.
tbh this latter book is going to be my bible for my allotment (when i finally get one).
hope those help ;)

No problem and thanks for coming back! I am currently reading John Seymour's Self Sufficient Gardener and so far it's going well! I have heard his self sufficient books are top notch.

However I love books and think you can never have enough so I will definitely look your suggestions up! Thanks again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE