How to Get Started

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ij rowley

Nov 21, 2010
manchester
Hi All
Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum , as a nebie can somebody give me tips please as to how to get started , do you pick a site and just camp and practise your skills such a fire making , building a shelter etc , sorry for what may seem a dumb question but I really have very little idea nad Im keen to get going , anyone know any good spots to visit . Thanks Ian

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Things like pitching a tent/tarp/hammock etc and fire lighting are great to try out in your garden. Knots can be practiced in your sitting room, while watching TV. you can try out new cooking ideas in your kitchen or garden.

once you have got an idea of these, then you would be more 'prepared' for a trip to the woods. that said, a nice walk in the woods is good at anytime, for seeking out a 'campsite', tree/plant recognition, listening to bird song and if appropriate, a bit of forraging.

What, I think, I'm trying to say is, rushing out to the woods, with a bag full of nice new shiny kit, is probably not the best way to go about starting out, as you will need to know how to use it, and it limitations before you find that what you have might not be capable of doing what you wanted it to, therefore putting you off right at the start.

hope that makes a bit of sense??

Jus_like_that

Forager
Apr 9, 2008
burton
www.jltknives.co.uk
I totally agree, Get yourself out for a few walks, trying to identify tree species is a good way to start, and learning what species is good for carving and other uses. Try some tracking learning how to identify tracks too. A great past time is carving, which you can do in your back garden or if you can get away with it, indoors.

ATB

Adam

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Welcome aboard, you really need to spend time reading the forum and using the search function as your question has been asked many many times before and I'm sure the answers from all the past threads will help you.

Richard

addbad

Nov 19, 2010
durham
videos there's loads of videos on youtube about anything from fire making to shelter building.

a few basic things to look at are things like fire making, how to put up tarps and other sleeping setups. cooking ideas, knots just search camping knots.
you really get a good idea of what to do just by looking on video sites. naturalbushcraft is a great site loads of useful videos. and of course just ask any questions on here if your unsure

but don't forget practise some thiings before you go out dont just think because you seen some videos that your an expert. hopes this helps, :)

leon-1

Get to know the people in your area that also have this as a hobby. Ask them if you can tag along when they go out.

If there is a meet up in your area go along to it to learn from some of the guys there.

You'll need some kit to start with, don't buy the most expensive kit on the planet to start with. When you're learning you may damage something and if it cost a lot it will really put a downer on things. Also if you then decide that you're not really into it it hasn't cost you a fortune. Don't get an axe, get a small folding saw, they're easier to carry, they're safer and you'll get more use out of it, it'll probably cost you less in the long run as well.

Get yourself some Collins Gem guide books (Guide to trees, flowers, knots, animals and the like) that you can take with you on walks in greener places. Pocket versions of food for free are also available (about £2.50 on amazon at the moment).

A decent book to look at for skills is Northern Bushcraft by Mors Kochanski. You'll probably end up with quite a library after a period of time with authors along the lines of Ray Mears, Mors Kochanski, Cody Lundin, Joe O'Leary, David Montgomery, Bang & Dahlstrom and Richard Mabey amongst a host of others.

As others have mentioned some skills can be practiced in your backyard and some can be practiced in the house.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
you need to decide what aspect of bushcraft you first want to go into...for example when I first started I had no interest in tree or plant ID but was really interested in shelter building and fire lighting. After time everything else becomes interesting and you want a piece of it all but at least you have a place to start if you decide which area you are most interested in...

hope that helped a little :)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
just remember, dont be to hard on your self if things go wrong, and they will sooner or later.........

and most of all enjoy what you do, have fun but be safe at the same time..........

thats about it, enjoy all you can while you can.........

regards...

chris..................................................................

As i beginner myself i can only echo what everyone else here has said. Here, youtube and google will give you a wealth of information. Try bits and bobs around the house/garden and take little danders in your local woods. I rushed out ill prepared for my first camp and well it ended in a few humerous stories lets just put it like that. Oh and welcome to the forum buddy!!!

P.S. One thing i recommend is creating a favourite folder for it because you will find a mountain of resources on the old tinternet. Mine has over 40 sites on it now lol they are going to need sub folders soon lol.

Last edited:

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
i am a beginer myself mate , you will learn loads on here i started wild camping with a tent and quickly upgraded to a hammock and tarp, use a flint and steel, cook over a open fire etc etc etc .........
just have a wonder around the forum loads of usefull and free advice being given

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
As everyone has said start slow, pic a few things that interest you and work from there. Finding like minded people is a great way of learning and improving. As beginner some of the scout manuals are good for general reference. They often include aspects of all the ways you can enjoy the outdoors including basic flora and fauna indentification etc. Also your Backyard, Local Park etc. are great ways to learn.

For example were I work at present is near the Wicklow Mountains. The Business park has been landscaped to fit in so it's filled with Birch, willow, Ash, beech and various pine trees. There are also streams and ponds and they have been planted to look like natrual streams and ponds and the wild life approves so anywhere can be a wilderness to explore and learn from.

The key to is to enjoy it.

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE