what's your sleeping setup.?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There are a few on eBay, £39.99. What me and mate Nigel have found is that the more you have an open fire under it the more waterproof they become, must be the tar from the smoke I guess. Its what we use now all year round and my tent(s) really are just for setting up beds etc in.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There are a few on eBay, £39.99. What me and mate Nigel have found is that the more you have an open fire under it the more waterproof they become, must be the tar from the smoke I guess. Its what we use now all year round and my tent(s) really are just for setting up beds etc in.

Grooveski and Toddy kind of share one which we use on trips sometimes, just fancied getting one of my own although I'm sure we don't actually NEED two :)

Endicotts have some nice South African ones in at the moment which I'm looking at.

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
Depending on where I am going/doing

Tents -

MSR Hubba Hubba
Vango Hurricane 300

Hammocks -

Ticket to the moon double
Warbonnet Blackbird double skin

Tarps -

OES Deluxe silnylon
Integral Designs 12ft silnylon

Insulation -

Rab Quantum Endurance 250
Rab Quantum Endurance 600
Thermarest Neoair Regular
Unsponsored 3/4 Down underquilt 3 Season in black pertex
Unsponsored 3/4 Down underquilt 2 Season in black pertex
Unsponsored Down over blanket in black pertex 2-3 season

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
well am new to bushcraft but this is what i have bought.....shogun

dd tarp 3x3
british army basha
snugpak special forces combo sleep system..
softie 3 for summer
softie 10 for winter
british army gortex bivi bag
karrimor self inflating mat

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Grooveski and Toddy kind of share one which we use on trips sometimes, just fancied getting one of my own although I'm sure we don't actually NEED two :)

Endicotts have some nice South African ones in at the moment which I'm looking at.

To be honest Shewie, if my knees and back were a bit more co-operative I'd dump all my tents and just use the chute. You can rig it as a tarp shelter in nice weather and then rig it as a tipi when it gets cold. For woodland and more sheltered camping its all you really need due to its versatility in rigging configurations. It must be an age thing with me but I love the idea of the chute as a meeting place and kitchen, somewhere to eat, have a pint, chat, get warm and then retire to my cot bed in a tent; somewhere different from any sort of communal area. As much as I love camping with my son and friends sometimes its nice to have a few moments 'me' time so having the tent provides this.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
To be honest Shewie, if my knees and back were a bit more co-operative I'd dump all my tents and just use the chute. You can rig it as a tarp shelter in nice weather and then rig it as a tipi when it gets cold. For woodland and more sheltered camping its all you really need due to its versatility in rigging configurations. It must be an age thing with me but I love the idea of the chute as a meeting place and kitchen, somewhere to eat, have a pint, chat, get warm and then retire to my cot bed in a tent; somewhere different from any sort of communal area. As much as I love camping with my son and friends sometimes its nice to have a few moments 'me' time so having the tent provides this.

So you find the chute water resistant enough, even in foul weather or do you also need a tent/tarp for the heavy rain?

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I have three types of Shelter and I use the same bag and Mat for them all.

Hellberg Akto
Henessy Hammock
Green Bivvy bag & 6x8 DPMTrap (Need to replace the Tarp with a larger square one)
Golite Adrenaline 3 sleeping bag (looking at getting an additional Light synthetic bag for bivving)
Peter storm Self inflating mat 3/4 lenght. (no longer self inflating need to replace)

James

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
O' how things have changed in 5 years!

DD Frontline hammock
Hennessy Hammocks hex tarp
Unsponsored 3/4 down under blanket
Nanok -5 comfort down sleeping bag
British army arctic bag

That's it. Only thing that changes is the choice of sleeping bag.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
These days i use the same setup all of the time with a single variation

dd travel hammock on the ground (this is the waterproof ground bivvi version)
10cm thick self inflating mat
UK Arctic Sleeping bag (i sleep ontop of it in warm weather)
cheapo tesco £1 inflatable pillow
In good weather DD 3x3 tarp A frame setup on trekking poles
In bad weather DD 4.5x3 tarp A frame setup on trekking poles

i've got loads of other kit from tents to all in one sleeping systems but it just never gets used these days as the above setup fits any need i ever have of it

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
Currently;
Dutchware 11 foot single layer in Hexon 1.6
UQ - Hammock Gear Phoenix 20 (plus sit pad in footbox)
TQ - 2 Tesco 2-season down bags stacked
Tenth Wonder Sargasso tarp
(plus a bit of Reflectix held in reserve, in case the dreaded CBS strikes)

Last edited:

Darwen

Jan 20, 2016
Lancs
Tarp (DD 3x3)
Sleeping bag
Pad

Sometimes I'll use a bivi bag instead of the tarp, but I'm not a fan in general. I don't like hammocks much either, but sometimes they are necessary, so I've a DD one in the kit cupboard.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Dd Superlight Tarp
DD Superlight Hammock
DD Superlight Mossie net
DD Underblanket
DD Overblanket

So I have to go where there are trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hammock:
TW super XL with woopie suspension and structural ridgeline.
TW sargasso tarp
Snugpak uq
Snugpak tq

Bivvy:
Alpkit Hunka XL
Luxe tyvek groundsheet
Exped downmat lite 5 s
Snugpak elite 2 for most of the year or softie 9 in winter.
DD 3x3m or terra nova adventure tarp 1.
Klymit kush pillow

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
True enough. It's doable. In a roundabout way I was saying that unless there are trees I don't camp. I hate sleeping on the floor. But rocks are good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE