I want to buy a decent water bottle but don't have a clue what one!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
£40 UK for a water bottle? you must be a wealthy man lol

LOL, no, not really. I just like titanium for some things, leather for other things and so on. I especially like certain materials (leather, titanium etc.) for personal stuff. For instance, my calender/notebook is leather bound, I use a classic no-nonsense fountain pen (Lamy 2000) to write with, and even though it isn't titanium it has this understated luxury to it, my toiletry bag is leather , and I like classic Danish furniture made from oak and ash and so on and so forth.

Titanium for something like a drinking bottle is perfect in my book. I could use a bigger one than what is in the links, and I'd prefer it to not have any writing on it. A peel-off sticker should be enough as it can easily be, well, peeled off. So, in short, a titanium Klean Kanteen the same size as the one I have would be awesome, for want of a better word.

But until something like the big Klean Kanteen comes in titanium, I will stay satisfied with my steel version, as it's the best compromise (to me), I can find.

Last edited:

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
As Simon mentions a pee bottle, I use a square 1L whitish Nalgene for that. The reason I opted for a square is because it seems to stand better on the ground, just for that extra "safety" if I'm half asleep and manage not to screw the lid on properly.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
LOL, no, not really. I just like titanium for some things, leather for other things and so on. I especially like certain materials (leather, titanium etc.) for personal stuff. For instance, my calender/notebook is leather bound, I use a classic no-nonsense fountain pen (Lamy 2000) to write with, and even though it isn't titanium it has this understated luxury to it, my toiletry bag is leather , and I like classic Danish furniture made from oak and ash and so on and so forth.

Titanium for something like a drinking bottle is perfect in my book. I could use a bigger one than what is in the links, and I'd prefer it to not have any writing on it. A peel-off sticker should be enough as it can easily be, well, peeled off. So, in short, a titanium Klean Kanteen the same size as the one I have would be awesome, for want of a better word.

But until something like the big Klean Kanteen comes in titanium, I will stay satisfied with my steel version, as it's the best compromise (to me), I can find.

66$ US is the Lord's way of saying you have far too much disposable income lol

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I have a few I often take, but always the MOD bottle & cup. I will also take a collapsable bottle that holds 2 litres for over nighters when there's no water on site. In colder weather I will take a Nalgene bottle (wide opening). Once I have drank the water it becomes my pee bottle which is used to keep me warm in my hammock.

They split easily after a couple of outings though.

Can't be relied upon, that's why they're made for recycling after one purchase really.

Although it's a good sentiment and useful in a survival situation.

they last a fair old while even rolling up for storage they are designed as pressure vessels so are pretty tough the water ones can be thinner and not so rugged
so stick to fizzy drinks ones.
you can get a drinking top of a small one and save £5 on the platypus version (also fits platypus as its the same thread ;) )

bottle3.jpg

bottle1.jpg

i do carry a full 58 water bottle and the lemonade one rolled empty to fill for camp use over night etc

for larger base camps i use the 3-4 ltr robinsons squash bottles which have a carry handle ;)

ATB

Duncan

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A few of my regulars ...

1L Sigg - 15 years old a bit dented and battered but still solid
1L Nalgene
1L Guyot Backpacker
1L Gsi Duckjug

For hiking I use a 2L Platypus or a 3L Source Vagabond bladders

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
If you can find the Dutch waterbottle with fitting steel mug that's a great piece of kit.

I also use cheap wide-mouthed nalgene bottles and mod them with paracord and duct tape ala Cody Lundin.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
58 pattern bottle here too, as my bottle of choice, although I do have several others that have a similar look (and less expensive) :)

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
how do you guys manage multi day trips with less than 2L water capacity? I'm seeing some of you only list one bottle! I need 3L at night for dinner, drinks and brekky.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
how do you guys manage multi day trips with less than 2L water capacity? I'm seeing some of you only list one bottle! I need 3L at night for dinner, drinks and brekky.

If more water is needed to be taken, then i'd simply take an extra bottle or two - unless I was close enough to a supply that is.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
This is the real big issue! Water carrying for a weekender is a nightmare. Been looking into a decent waterfilter so can top up on the run and only carry small amount (about 2 litre). Don't like water bladdders like Platypus, had problems with dripping, leakage and seem fragile IMO.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
if your camping with a water source near by then its boil and let cool for use
other than that sigg bottles are very light when empty
dutch black 1 ltr or the smaller green ones are very strong and fit the cup
british 1 ltr 58 with metal mug is strong and fantastic aswell
next up german alloy with nesting mess kit and french army aswell also alloy

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I use 2 58 pattern Osprey water bottles, with crusader cup underneath one, works for me. Also Have a 1 Ltr Vango stainless flask I take for bimbles when I don't want too much hassle for a brew.

If I need more I have a 2 liter Ortlieb water bag or tatonka stainless 1 ltr bottles.
They have same lids a siggs but not the delamination problems i've had with alloy sigg bottles. bit pricey but worth it.

Clean water IMO has to be one of the most important things to look after so I don't take risks with it.

Keep your plastic and other bottles clean with Miltons steralising tablets or equivalent, something that gets overlooked by a lot of people, (because water looks clean) can put a real dampner on a nice weekend in the bush.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE