Recommend a bushy course.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I've not done a course, but have been outdoors for a fair proportion of my leisure time, walking, camping, climbing, etc. and I'd like to build on what limited skills I do have. I built shelters (Badly mostly) as a kid, and have been lighting fires safely for as long as I can remember. (I'm 36 now) I'd like to learn more about identifying edible plants, building something that'll keep me dry, and I'd love to light a fire by friction.

I live in Aberdeenshire, Bushcraft ventures are near here, and my parents are in Cumbria, so woodsmoke are local to them, but I'm open to other suggestions too.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Hi ya

I'd vote for Wildwood http://www.wildwoodbushcraft.com did a navigation course with Leon the other week up in the mountains around Fort William. He has just relocated up there, but is still running a few courses down in Sussex. Check him out, not too far to travel (I think).

I'd also say Woodcraft School http://www.woodcraftschool.co.uk/ again down south. John Rhyder is a great instructor and I have done quite a few courses with them now.

Hi nickliv,
A few of us from here were on an axe workshop with Lawrence from Bushcraft Ventures this weekend and it was very good and very useful. The courses are run in Aberdeenshire, down near Aboyne/Glen Tanar, so pretty local compared to the other schools. I am thinking of going on another couple of his courses next year.

I can also vouch for the Woodsmoke week long fundamental course, was on it last year and it was great, learned a lot during it and still know a lot of it today, even though I still cannot master the Bow Drill!

So both are very good.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Backwoods .... I travelled all the way from Cork in the south of Ireland for his course based on the experience of people I respect ... Well worth it ...

Andrew

seb.h

Nov 28, 2010
Mid Wales
I'm also interested in courses and would like to learn more, I've read a lot but need to put this into practice. Shame about the funds. When I was working down in the southeast some of the guys from Woodlore would often come into the shop, they all seemed like very knowledgeable and approachable guys, the prices at first looked a little expensive but I soon found they are pretty average. I've got a friend who did one with Woodsmoke who said it was especially good but like others have said very intensive so this may feel like you are getting more for your money. these are two I would definitely check out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE