Scouting for boys - Camp Equiment.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just got a box of my old books from my parents as they were clearing out there house. One of the book is the 1919 print of "Scouting for boys" By Baden Powell. I read this bit in it about Camp equipment and thought I would post it.

Camp Equipment
When you have decided waht kind of camp you intend to have and whereabouts, you next point is to look to the equipment that is to say, what you will need in the way of buckets, brooms, tools, and so on. Here is a rough list of the things that are useful in a standing camp, but they will not all be neccessary in a bivouac or shifting camp:
FOR TENT: Bucket, lantern and candles, matches, mallet, tin, basin, spade, axe, pick, hank of cord, flag and pole-strap for hanging things on:
FOR KITCHEN: Saucepan or stewpot, fry-pan, kettle, gridiron, matches, bucket, butchers knife, ladle, cleaning rags, empty bottles for milk, bags for rusks, potatoes, etc.
FOR EACH SCOUT: Waterproof sheet, two blankets, cord or strap for tying them up, straw mattress (to be made in camp twine and straw required), ration bags, (one for sugar and tea, one for pepper and salt, one for flour and baking powder).
CLOTHING: Each scout, in addtion to the suite of clothing which he is wearing, should take to camp the following things. If you are going for a tramping camp you need only those marked with a *
Old greatcoat or waterproof coat
*One flannel shirt
One extra flannel shirt
One pair drawers
*Two pair socks or stockings
One vest
Flannels or sleeping suit
One pair stout walking boots or shoes
*One pair canvas shoes
One sweater or old jacket
One pair of bathing drawers
Hairbursh
*Soap and towel
*Toothbush
Two handkerchiefs
PERSONAL EQUIPMENT: haversack, billy, staff, kinfe, fork, and spoon, matches, whistle, portion of tent.

I have copied this out as it was layed out and printed. Too many commas i think.

It quite intresting to see what was taken then and is taken now.

Last edited:

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
It's not that much different from the basic kit list a Patrol here in Ireland would take. The only difference if you looked in a 1919 patrol box and 2010 one would be the difference in materials used for the equipment and the foods. I think in that sense it's a very interesting list. I bet the 1919 box weighed about the same?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Did anyone else read about a triple entendre into

"Scouting for Boys - camp equipment"?

I was expecting pictures of a diamante dutch oven :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE