Bushcrafters beware

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
Swaps etc are supposed to be based on trust!! but sometimes you can send the items in good faith and never recieve the item when you wait for weeks!!
after sending countless messages and recieving not even one reply it sort of lowers your trust levels.. has this happened to you!!
hope he enjoys using his freebees!!!
p.s. I even sent him messages asking if he had recieved what i sent to him still no reply!!!

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Wow - That sounds not good mate!
I´m happy to say, that this didn´t happen to me until yet - and I´m very glad about it!
Really hope that you get any reply from him soon and maybe there is a happy ending in sight!

all the best
Mike

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Alas this can happen and non face to face transactions can and will sometimes fall through, whether due to personal issues, or dishonesty.
but take heart that at least its not a regular occurrence on here and some even still come through in the end

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
it seem to be quite common place but having said that up until the deal I mentioned and excuse me for not going into detail,, but all my dealings on swapshop have gone smooth as silk... am worried about doing anymore now unless I wait till I recieve what I have swapped for before I send my trade items.. and I dont want to do that cos its unfair on the genuine folk!!! but then again dont want to lose out agin either!!!
Its a shame cos we all have stuff on here other members would like to own!!! myself included!! but I wont reply to their ads naming gear I either dont have or have no intention of sending... and I know its not just an error on his part cos he would have replied to the pms I sent or sent my items back as Id not got what he was supposed to send... he did neither!!!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had a similar experience with a trade recently - peer pressure seems to help and alerting folk who may be in a potential trade situation is helpful in avoiding others getting stung.
My potential "bad Trade" has been resolved now - after ages of PMs that were not replied to and my getting very frustrated! :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Quickly checks inbox for unread messages
eek.gif

Not me phew !

Sorry to hear about this although it does happen from time to time, is the other guy a regular poster or is there a chance they've just not been on the forum for a while ?

I'd take Tony up on his offer though, PM him the name and he can have a quiet word :)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
This does seem to be a regular(not on here though)occurrence, on some sites, i tried to recover a "lost" swop for a member on one site, and have had the run around myself, again not on here. But as sites get more popular & membership larger, it is an unfortunate fact that, those of a less honest nature, will try to take advantage of what is basicaly a "gentlemans"agreement.

I do however support a name and shame policy, which will at least deter some, and help other members.

Rob

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
You have his name and address so can probably get his phone number. Me, I'd make it a point of principle to jump in my car and turn up on his doorstep.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Sorry to hear your bad news!!! Luckily it dosn't seem to happen on here very often nor on BB forum, the only advice I can give is what I use myself, and only deal with peeps who have a history on the forum with a reasonable number of posts!! failing that get a phone number and talk to the person 1st.

I'm also in favour of naming and shaming!!! I know of peeps on other forums with at least eight different forum ID's !!!!!!!!!!

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Naming and shaming could deter this kind of behaviour. That said, I hope the chap has not stepped under a bus.

See thats the prob, i knew of a chap who was struck down with pnumonia during a trade, the forum at the time went ballistic at this so called cut and run etc. (another forum)
when he come back his inbox was full of abuse. he did hte trade and never frequented the forum again.
not his fault tho.

Gavmar

Life Member
Jan 24, 2010
Dagenham Essex
Hi,

Could you PM me and let me no the name. I sent a brand new wildlife axe to someone two weeks ago and the exact same thing. said they sent the cash, no cash pm'ed him asked for a tracking number no reply. I'm well :censored: Personnally I think these people should be named and shamed, so no other members get stung.
He has been on the forum and obviously seen my PM's. so he has'nt killed himself with it.:mad:

Last edited:

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Yeh i know what ur talking about , I't s happend ti me aswell mate ... sent loads of emails but know luck , there's a lesson to be learned there bud ..

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have on one other forum used a soft name and shame, by asking if any one has hear of any reason why "insert name" might not be able to reply to my pm as i have traded this for this and having posted my trade haven't received theres, at least it is not a straight "This blokes a crook don't deal with him" but it still lets people know whats going on, as ha been said there could be a very good reason why theres no response or they are a crook and someone else is about to trade with them,

I hope it works out for you dude,

Southey

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Not being cute gavmar, but if some one is buying from u - you don't send anything till u have the cash in your hand. As to naming and shaming, i'm sure if someone has a problem peeps will understand, but it seems that this problem is gettin more frequent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE