Cheap, lightweight stove pipe ideas please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Thanks in advance.

I'm in the process of making a small stove for use in my newly purchased £25 Argos medium tipi. I'm sorted with the body of the stove as i've dismantle 2 computer towers for the metal, it's the stove pipe thats making me think. The idea is to make the whole thing light enough to carry, but lots of tin cans together will be impracticle not to say bulky in the least. Vacuum cleaner metal tubes would be ideal but i've not found any at least 50mm in diametre.

So, any ideas?

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
go to the scrap yard and get some old exaust pipe or buy some flexi boiler hoze..... the hoze would pack down to nout, and then just make some sort of bracket to put a steel rod in to make it stand up............

job done whhooooooooooooo...........

mike 01302

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2010
doncaster
you get certain gas boilers that run off whats called a vertex flue it has a 50mm flue inlet for the combustion gases (air) and a 50mm flue outlet of the products of combustion (smoke) just cut lenghts down to about 2foot and slot together for use or shim steel rolls width ways for transport/storage then roll it out and roll it lenght ways for use so in storage it looks like a pencil battery and in use it looks like a staw just use 2" jubilee clips down the lenght (about 3 or 4 should do it) to stop it springing open

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
you get certain gas boilers that run off whats called a vertex flue it has a 50mm flue inlet for the combustion gases (air) and a 50mm flue outlet of the products of combustion (smoke) just cut lenghts down to about 2foot and slot together for use or shim steel rolls width ways for transport/storage then roll it out and roll it lenght ways for use so in storage it looks like a pencil battery and in use it looks like a staw just use 2" jubilee clips down the lenght (about 3 or 4 should do it) to stop it springing open

Mike,

Where can you get rolls of shim steel at?

Cheers, Michael.

mike 01302

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2010
doncaster
if you go to top of the page there is a space next to a question mark type in shim steel scroll down about 2/3 you will see a post by me entitled stove flues nigelp told me about shimm steel

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You will need a stove jack to fit the pipe through the tent wall, its a square metal sheet with a silicon centre the pipe passes through. That said I don't think computer towers will be up to the job, just too thin to take the heat. The Norwegian army woodburner I recently got is heavier steel and can glow red hot in places when in full swing so to speak and really can't see computer towers taking that amount of heat. Something like a large ammunition box has a better gauge of metal.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
depends on whether they are older sturdy wraparound cases or the modern slot together type. I'd look at alloy boiler flue which comes in 1m lengths. if its not big enough then you wont get the draw for the length without something in the flue to kick start it

a baby gas bottle stove would probably be the easiest to fabricate, an ammo box might work but also might warp.

some commercial cleaners have giant slot together pipes but even small commercial stoves use 3-4 inch pipe.

for protecting the tent you might try a teflon oven liner as it can be stitched into the fabric

mike 01302

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2010
doncaster
use a plumbers heat mat cost about 4 quid a 2"flue pipe will be more than enough for a fair sized tent stove (say about 12"x8"x8") its all about convection

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
The plan is a 12 x 7 x 7 stove and i'll get some of the shim steel for the flue as mentioned in another thread. I've moved on from the computer metal and i'm speaking to a fabricator we use at work who'll make it for me, I will discuss with him the possibility of flat pack for ease of transport because i want the whole thing to weigh around the 2kgish weight but we'll see!

mike 01302

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2010
doncaster
i have knocked together a collapsable tent stove i will try to get some pictures up loaded to give you an idea of what i have done ok mate

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Thanks for the idea Rich, but I'd still have to carry the meths which although not quite as heavy could be just as bulky if it uses 1.2litres a time. The tent is 2m high and 3.6 in diametre, but I've also got a 3m high x 4m canvas medieval bell tent that I was thinking of converting to a stove. Mike photos would be ace, and how heavy is your stove and the flue?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE