lets buy some woodland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
i was just reading the thread about how the forestry commision are going to be selling off land, this may sound silly but if theres enough of us from one area(derbyshire) why dont we all chuck a grand in and buy ourselves a small piece, iv seen a few parcels of around 5 acres for less than 30 thousand.
probably think its asilly idea but its just a thought.
feel free to tel me im mad!
cheers ash

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
You pay a huge premium for small parcels, 30 acres and up the price comes down.
I have known quite a few folk that have done the coop buying a wood thing, it has often been suggested in the green woodworking world. The big problem is whilst everyone goes in thinking they have joint ideals somewhere down the line you all have to agree on what you do with this place. Some will want to put a hard road and car park in so they come with camper van and kids, some will want to bring all their mates for a big bonfire and party, others will want to bring their dogs and let the crap everywhere, others will want somewhere for their kids run free whilst others will want peace and quiet. Some will want to build permanent shelters and run bushcraft courses maybe shelter building and cutting trees, others will want nothing cutting and it being left "just as it is". It is a nice idea but a nightmare in practice. If you go this route I would advise talking to folk that have done it (eg read up on Clissett wood) and then draw up a very clearly defined management plan so folk know what the ground rules are and what they are buying into.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I'd agree with Robin,there are too many different wants in any group for it to work easily.Get it all in writing and legally binding before taking any money to pay for it.That way everyone knows what they're buying into.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
agreed, and here is a good example of a Woodland management plan from the FC. You could adapt it for your purposes by expanding on the Land use parts.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/guidancenote12.pdf/$FILE/guidancenote12.pdf

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
i understand what u are saying but i thought id put the feelers out before making rules and regs after all i dont have the right to do so as it would be a joint venture so any rules would have to be decided jointly by those interested,but to point out the obvious the woodland would be for bushcraft use only not practicing felling trees. nobody would have the right to invite dozens of mates for a bonfire but id hope non out the members on here would anyway,as numbers would need to be kept realistic as to not ruin everyone elses peace and quiet.
basicly u would use as u do the woodland u currently use that u dont own.(leave no trace)
and im sure nobody would want to put hardcore down to make a car park
so are u interested?

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
I'm currently in Sheffield but move frequently! Cromford, Belper, etc. is a beautiful area for land. I would only stipulate, leave it as you would like to find it. As there are only two of us so far its a bit out my budget! :)

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
thats one rule we both agree on then and i think that one rule will cover most problems,think we might need a few more of us yet

rancid badger

You're mad:togo:

Seriously though; there are always too many different ideals/ideas/attitudes/expectations to make something like this, work.

I was member of a small local angling group a few years back.
All they had access to; was a 100m square gravel pit and an adjacent quarry pond.

The gravel pit has been fished for at least 60 years and has a good population of fish, which only occasionally get topped up with fresh stock, while the other pond, has been stocked with fish from the main pond as well as farmed fish.

The problems, come from the fact that you have different interests within the group.
There are real strains and conflicts between the "serious":rolleyes: carp boys and the lads who just want a peaceful few hours tiddler bashing:fishing:

"clean up days" are organised and its always the same folk who turn out and do all the work.

Its often the loud mouths who avoid these activities.

The point is; that any small group has exactly the same issues, whether it be a tiny angling club, model boat club, RC flying club or indeed;

a tiny group of folk ( as it would have to be, to be sustainable) wanting to buy a few acres of woodland to play in.

Good luck but it's almost certainly a non starter:sadwavey:

RB

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I'd be game, but there are a few potential hurdles to overcome as quite a few guys have outlined above.
I'd imagine the real benefit would be as a purchasing cooperative by means of clubbing together to buy a large woodland, and then once purchased, divide it up according to the individual's initial investment. Just a suggestion but sadly probably full of pitfalls too.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
ok i no exactly were your coming from and i doupt enough people will come forward, but im thinking positive in bushcraft and on the forum im yet to meet or see pictures of anybody who has done anything disrispectfull or non bushcraft like, from what i can gather we all have similar views on what we call bushcraft.
so my proposal is if you are interested or not sure please say so and specify what you would like to use the woodland for ie walking the dog getting a small fire going for a brew, carving/making cord etc. this thread is to get an idea if it is doable or not so by saying u may be interested your not saying a definate yes.
to be hon i think peoples activities will be similar and hopefully not cause too much of a problem, what concerns me is it only takes one one not so easy going person to start making life difficult because someone camped in there spot for example

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
silverhill forge
to be honest im not sure what would be the best way to go with it im open to ideas i think it will come down to numbers, there will be loads of hurdalls to overcome but im trying my best to think of positive ways to overcome the negatives if u no what i meen
cheers ash

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm usually very dubious about group purchases like this, but then again, why shouldn't it work ?

Do it right, make the guidelines ones folks can live with, and for heavens sake make the effort to meet up and camp and work together before you buy together.

Take on board what Robin has said, what Rancid Badger has posted too; it's sound advice and that's how things usually fail so those are the pitfalls. Find some way to work them, and best of luck with it :D

cheers,
Toddy

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I know where you're coming from Ash, it certainly wood be nice to own a few acres. I doubt we'd get much of a look in round our parts though; Chatsworth owns a shed-load and the rest is either council or private already. If we do get any released, I'll be there with my cheque book!

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
There have been several previous threads, in the past, with similar ideas/aims, worth looking through.

When I stated looking into it I think the big stumbling block was the default only 28 days recreational camping allowed, unless planning permission for change of use is sought.

Having said that, if the latest goverment woodland sell off idea does go ahead ( I don't want to get into if that's a good idea or not thanks ;) ) then the chances are that change of use would be easier to get than say last year.

The other option might be to subdivide the woods up to individual members of a managing co-operative, 13 people multiplied by 28 days would give someone access to some part of the woods all years round. Though getting all the papertwork nice and legal might be a pain.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
iv thought about the 28 days limit but i think that would be down to people using there head if you know what i mean, i think alot of people may not wish to stay overnight as much as others,like me i cant always comit to overnighters,although it would be nice to have the option.
all i can say is if we can get a list of maybes we can take it from there
cheers for all the input though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE