Bergen / Rucksack / Pack what are the top 5?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
I plan on replacing my old kit with kit that's more robust and will last me a lifetime.

So I will start with the pack, I'm not interested in splitting my kit into modules, its one pack for all my needs. what are the best on the market? would you choose military or civilian. My current pack is the plce bergen.

Thanks
Frogo

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you're not too bothered about weight then the Sabres are good packs imho, not the lightest around but the cordura stands up well to playing in the woods. If you want lightweight the GoLite packs are worth a look.

As a guide, my Sabre 75 does me fine for extended trips and the 35 or 45 are perfect for just a couple of nights. The bulk is the determining factor for me, as the weather cools I add bigger bedding and usually a few more clothing layers. With my winter hammocking gear I struggle to go much lower than a 45L, if I'm bivvying then 25 to 35L is enough.

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
If you're not too bothered about weight then the Sabres are good packs imho, not the lightest around but the cordura stands up well to playing in the woods. If you want lightweight the GoLite packs are worth a look.

I've never used a Sabre, but they definitely seem to be popular enough, I was going to get one, but could never get any decent information about the back length for them so I went for aDeuter Aircontact Pro (65+10ltr). Like Rich says, GoLite are the ones to look for if you're going for a lighter pack weight. I use a GoLite Jam (50ltr), they also have a larger (72ltr) pack called a Pinnacle.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
it depends on:

a) how much are you willing to spend
b) what are you going to be doing
c) the fit. What is good for one person might be crippling for another.
d) one pack is unlikely to do "all" your needs. Summer vs winter, bivvy vs long camp, ski tour vs walk in etc..

Personally, I a big fan of Aguille Alpine sack. They are bombproof and will last a life time - plus I got mine custom made and I like them been local and at the end of the phone. Their repair service is very good as well.

For smaller sac I've also started using Haglof. However, mine are firstly climbing/mountaineering packs - bushcraft second.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Horses for courses.

I use a sabre 30 for daywalks, a Golite jam for ultralighting weekends or a few days, a Granite gear vapour trail for multi day walks and a homemade pack for playing in the woods. Is that only four? Does that mean I can buy another?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've got a Sabre 60-100 which is great- very comfortable (but quite heavy unladen). I also use the issue Bergen a lot, but the difference in comfort is remarkable- a decent hip belt for a start.

In my mind the karrimor SA back system is one of the best- to be fair i don't use it how it could be used (i.e. constantly adjusting it on the move), but you can get the straps spot on in terms of your back length, its very comfy, and it keeps some of the rucksack back a short distance off your own back, so you don't get quite as sweaty.

I've used a Karrimor for the past 18 years as a multiday expedition pack and swear by the design. However, when i realised it was really surviving on borrowed time, and looking for a replacement i realised the quality of most standard Karrimor stuff is reasonably poor. Luckily Karrimor SF (the military line of kit actually manufactured by a company called PRI) gives the best of both worlds- Karrimor designs, with excellent materials and construction (just like the Karrimor of old!).

I managed to get a Sabre 45 daysack from stores the other day too- good to see the quality isn't limited to their larger packs!

Aside from these, Berghaus and Lowe Alpine are probably some of the more accesible companies knocking out good packs in subdued colours.

rcs

Forager
Jul 24, 2008
Pill
For long trips its a Kifaru Marauder, and for shorter trips/day walks its a Kifaru spike camp. I've got a couple of Kifaru long pockets for the Marauder too, if i really want to carry a lot of kit.

Marauder is on the left, spike camp on the right.
April10001.jpg

If I'm in one of these

Offroading0ct09060.jpg

and weight isn't an issue and i just want something to keep my kit in thats hard wearing, its going to be one of these,

PLCE on the left, Kifaru Zulu on the right.
img_3316.jpg

The PLCE rucksack is great for car camping because you can throw it about without worrying about it falling apart, although if I'm being honest its not the most comfortable bag to carry for any length of time.

The Kif stuff on the other hand is both bomb proof and comfortable. The only thing wrong with Kifaru for me is the cost, they ain't cheep, but they are very robust bags, I've used my Marauder hundreds of times in the past few years and it still looks like new.

Heres a link to the Kif website.https://kifaru.net/index.htm

cheers,
Rob

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
whatever you do just stay away from the Snugpak Rocketpak system...ugh.
ticked all the boxes till i used it!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I plan on replacing my old kit with kit that's more robust and will last me a lifetime..."

I suppose it depends on how much use it will get, I do not think any of the packs mentioned would last a lifetime of day to day use. I own a Kifaru X-Ray and it is both well built and very comfortable on longer walks, pricey though. The Sabre 45 is very popular but I wouldn't want to use it on a multi-day long distance walk. If comfort is less important than durability maybe you should have a look at the Frost River packs?

These days I mostly use a Crux AK47.

:)

Last edited:

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Bomproof and last forever..........Berghaus Vulcan
bombproof and last forever and light.............Golite JAM2
not so tough and last a long time ......sabre 75
lightweight ,bombproof last forever and inexpensive........????????????

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
Personally, I a big fan of Aguille Alpine sack. They are bombproof and will last a life time - plus I got mine custom made and I like them been local and at the end of the phone. Their repair service is very good as well.

I'll second a vote for Aiguille Alpine. Although I don't own one (yet) when (if) my old Karrimor Alpiniste falls apart and Aiguille pack will definitely be in the running. We've been into the shop/factory in Stavely several times and they are really helpful, obliging folk. Plus you get the warm fuzzy glow of buying something thats built in the UK.
They make good gaiters and canoeing stuff - if you're interested.

Nick

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
i use a norwegian military rucksack made from canvas by bergans of norway bought ages ago for around a tenner its still going strong and gets used for anything from a day hike to a multi day out up to a week
leather straps are very comfy and theres no waist belt which i like

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
It might be a bit permature, but I'd recomend the sabre 60-100. Took mine out for a spin for the first time yesterday. Once i'd got the back length right, i found it very comfortable, allbeit a little on the heavy side.
IMHO it could do with some more smaller pockets, for the odds & sods, but that's my only negative observation. However, i can buy additional pockets seperately....which im just about to do!

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
it depends on:

a) how much are you willing to spend
b) what are you going to be doing
c) the fit. What is good for one person might be crippling for another.
d) one pack is unlikely to do "all" your needs. Summer vs winter, bivvy vs long camp, ski tour vs walk in etc..

For smaller sac I've also started using Haglof. However, mine are firstly climbing/mountaineering packs - bushcraft second.

Hi Eds

a) If the quality and comfort are right then up to approx £200 maybe more.
b) Long term camps, walking etc.
c) The fit is important, as I have a long back I don't really have a problem with a lot of packs but a little extra padding would be nice.
d) As storing my kit is a big problem I need to be able to keep it all my kit together Winter and Summer.

Thanks for your input

Frogo

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Have you got a web sites I can look at?..."

Sadly, it is no longer made. :(

There is a picture of the Lowe Vector Commando here.

Mine was slightly different in that there were two pouches on the waist belt which contained an abseiling harness.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE