Homebrew

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Chop apples
Press juice
Strain Juice
Leave to ferment
Drink

That hard!

Bit like this...

DSCF2078copy.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I can get the plain bucket (no tap) for about a fiver. But its worth getting a kit form with all the bits. They last for years

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
There are a couple of other options, besides those covered, that may suite, depending on your circumstances. eg

I opted for an ibrew setup, for my recent delving into homebrew.
The main reason was for the 10 pint at a time tap-a-draft dispensing system, which is just about managable in my fridge.
I got mine for £60 inc P&P http://www.thethriftyshopper.co.uk/homebrew-starter-kits.aspx

Minimal range of refil kits from trheir own range but the fermenting bin is big enough for standard sized kits, though you need another 20 pints worth of storage vessles ( eg 2 more of the same bottles or 6 or so 2lt pop bottles )

The brupak brubox kits are worth a look, if you'd like to get several different kinds of brew on the go and don't have a great deal of space, being 10lts a time

Personally I'd like to find a CO2 dispensing system that screws onto a 2lt bottle.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
sorry for the thread jack but i struggle with keeping brews up to fermentation temp any ideas to help me overcome this issue?

I was thinking of a thermostat controlled aquarium heater, the ones that have the thermostat built in and then just plonks in the tank

what do you knowledgeable fellas think?

Dave

E

ex member coconino

Well, according to the link I just posted, you chuck in a heated stone every ten minutes. ;)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
sorry for the thread jack but i struggle with keeping brews up to fermentation temp any ideas to help me overcome this issue?

I was thinking of a thermostat controlled aquarium heater, the ones that have the thermostat built in and then just plonks in the tank

Dave

Yeah, I know some guys have gone down that route. Only thing to watch for is that the thermostats aren't especially good so you'll want to get the set-point right using a proper thermometer (better do it in a bucket of water rather than messing around in your beer) and they do eventually fail - and when they do, they tend to fail hot rather than cold. But as a reasonably-priced, simple option, it's certainly well worth considering.

Nice link coconino! :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Dave

There are heather belts (strap around the brewing vessel) and heater pads (that the vessel sits on) commercially available to manage the temperature if that helps?

Red

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Having read this thread, I am now thinking about dusting off my homebrew gear :)

Has been a long time, think the last kit I bought was from Boots!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
There are heather belts (strap around the brewing vessel) and heater pads (that the vessel sits on) commercially available to manage the temperature if that helps?

Red

I've never seen any with proper thermostatic control though... They're generally just off or on. Personally, I'm starting to think that my ATC800's control range of +/- 1 deg C isn't tight enough - I'll probably be buying a better controller soon.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Personally, I'm starting to think that my ATC800's control range of +/- 1 deg C isn't tight enough -

For fermentation? I'd tend to disagree. +/-1 is pretty good Don't be chumped by any of those controller's claims of +/-0.2 in practice they will never achieve anything approaching this.
By the way, before I was selling bushcraft gear I had a firm making temperature sensing probes so I know there's an industry wide fog regarding temperature accuracy of systems.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE