Best real bushcraft film I've seen in years

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
That was an incredible film. Thanks for the heads up.
The thing that struck me was keeping the kids away from school otherwise they forget the ways of the bush. This statement actually had a profound effect on the way i think about indigenous cultures now. It made me realize that they don't need to do 'white man' jobs as they don't participate in the false or dream way of life we do. They are living in harmony with nature and have no need to learn how to type or file or operate a copy machine. Even though life is hard it is fulfilling to them. Every one has their place... Granny using a chainsaw and the toddler playing with an axe and learning through play. They do in a simple blazer and cheque shirt what the white man would do in several hundred pounds worth of down clothing.
These people are truly alive and awake and i envy them for i long to wake up for us to wake up and be.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A narrow veiw.

They dont need to do white man jobs, but they do need the opportunity to do so if they wish.

And theres the whole interlectual stimultion bit.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Hi Tengu. If anything i would have said that i had made a broad sweeping statement induced by the passion i felt for these people after watching the film.
Of course for the population as a whole to live like this is impossible. In order to sustain our numbers we live on ancient sunlight and cultivate modern farming methods to provide food. Industry and technology provides housing and transportation for the masses.
So yes, i can see your point of view too. Without the white man from the hudson bay company and his plane the indians would not be able to sell their pelts. Without Industry there would be no 5 gallon drum of vegetable oil sitting the lodge shelf etc.

I never found school intellectually stimulating though, or at least not in a good way. I believe people need education however the curriculum and methods used in modern schools is wrong in my opinion. People fail to see the importance of The Arts as a form of stimulating the mind. However these Cree Indians maintain a strong culture which in some instances can make a good substitute.
Anyway, going off track a bit...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE