Kit List - Scottish Highlands November 2 Weeks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peasantchurl

Banned
Jun 11, 2009
Have I left anything of ?
No car - will be building shelters, walking, maybe hire a canoe, basically scouting around and exploring

Karrimor Sabre 75 + side pockets and yoke (for day trips)
Woodlore Golden Eagle sleeping bag
2 plastic water canteen 1litre each
1 man tent
Fire steel
Mora Clipper Knife
Small Forest Axe
21" Saw Blade (will make a buck saw )
DD Tarp
Sleeping Mat
Waterproof trousers
Rain Poncho
Sealskinz Waterproof gloves + socks, wool trekking socks
200gsm Wool Thermal Top + Bottoms
Long sleeve mid layer fleece
Swanndri Ranger style fleece outer layer
Poly Cotton trousers
Warm hat
thermal gloves
honey stove with meths (for the hills) and wood burner (when in forest)
whistle
head torch

Wash Kit
First Aid kit
Food for 4 days - aim to restock on travels

Extra Items
Animal Tracks & Signs book
small Notepad and pencil
Binoculars - ( I like perving of nature lol )
Camera phone
Wallet

any suggestions recommendations welcome :)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
you going alone?

just been going thru my 3 day bag mentally,...

i'd take a backup blade, a folder or decent SAK, multi tool..

even in the highlands you're gonna spend some time in an urban setting, so i,d consider some civvy bits and bobs too

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like you've got it all covered I'd say, what are you doing for water ? Maybe add a millbank bag or a piece of fabric for filtering out some sediment before boiling if that's the plan.

Can't see a pot or billy can but you've probably just missed it off the list.

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
If you are still planning on venturing on the Cairngorm plateau, I'd suggest a good wind/waterproof jacket is essential rather than a poncho. Good waterproof trousers and gaiters too.
Spare maps always a good idea too. I'll often use the 1:25000 primarily, but carry 1:50000 of the same area as spare.
Spare compass too. I can't overemphasise the potential effects of strong winds up there - maps and compass can be gone in a flash!
Are you happy with the SealSkinz socks/gloves? Personally, I wouldn't like to walk far in them and prefer Smart Wool or Thorlo wool socks.
What boots you gonna use?

I'm really looking forward to your reports on this trip - I'm really rather envious and would love to be doing the same, but no more leave left.

Nick

I should add: clothes that are easy to dry out will be preferable to those that take longer to dry. Getting stuff dry can be a pain on longer trips that time of the year

Last edited:

peasantchurl

Banned
Jun 11, 2009
some paracord, tick remover is in with first aid kit...cheers

I don't know how high I will be going yet....see what happens.
The poncho is waterproof and windproof got waterproof trousers, I'll take a map and compass just incase but I always follow the gnosis.
I wear wool socks then use waterproof ones as and when boots are wet, I wear Lowa PTB boots.
Fire will dry any wet clothes.

Thanks for the comments :)

Last edited:

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Some whisky and beads to bribe the natives :)

Otherwise I would only comment that a Honey stove is unlikely to stand up to the winds you are likely to experience - best take a collapsable windbreak or alternatively something like a Trangia.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Otherwise I would only comment that a Honey stove is unlikely to stand up to the winds you are likely to experience - best take a collapsable windbreak or alternatively something like a Trangia.

Notwithstanding the above, I would not want to be trying to put a Honey stove together with cold and/or mittened hands.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Since they have already had snow up there, then depending how high you are going I would add axe and crampons and the knowledge of how to use them. The Highlands can be vicious in winter.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Looks good to me, though the total pack weight looks a bit heavy.
I've never found it necessary to carry more than a litre of water in Scotland. There's rather a lot of it around!
If you have a saw and knife, you can likely do without the axe, especially if you will be in mountain country.
I find ponchos a bit flappy in the wind, but it's a personal choice.
Crampons and ice axe may or may not be necessary in November - depends on where you are going and the forecast.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
A lighter and a can of zippo fuel (couple of oz).... firesticks are great, but if you really depend on warmth, plan B if plan A fails... loose your firestick, what next :)

Some form of dependable communication? personal flare kit. a whistle is only as effective as its range...
which may not get the desired results in the highlands and you wander slightly off track and no-one realises you need assistance, just my ho.

TBL.

Last edited:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
A few thoughts, not intending to set a negative tone or teach grandmother but to make your trip more hassle-free

- I assume you are familiar with the Scottish Outdoor Access code.
- When you say "shelters" I assume you mean with your tarp - natural shelter building will not be welcomed on most estates.
- Fires big enough to dry clothing may not be welcome on a lot of land (eg Forestry Commission). For this reason maybe spare dry base-layers ?
- You can expect all woodland in Scotland to be quite busy at this time of year as it is the peak of the shooting season and gamekeepers, beaters and shooters will be regular visitors to the woods in November. Any tooled-up solitary stranger on land used for shooting will be viewed with increased suspicion at this time of year.
- Since you are not using a car, it goes without saying that the ironmongery needs to be kept well out of sight in public places and even when you get where you are going, there are cases where police have been called to woods where someone has been seen with an axe. Personally I wouldn't bother with the axe and would rely on saw and knife.

I, too, wouldn't trust to a poncho in Scotland in winter (and last November we had a lot of snow already) but that's a personal choice

Sorry if you are already aware of all this
NS

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I would add a route card at the local bobby shop, i know its basics, but it is a life saver,

Cool trip, where are you going from\to, on the clear\cloudy\stormy\sidewaysrainy\snowy\sleety\cold\windy days it is a stunning place to be,

Dropbear

Oct 2, 2010
scotland
agree with duct tape, it's like the force, it's got a dark side, a light side and it holds the universe together. Also take maps of more areas than you plan to visit, walking off the map in the letterewe wilderness makes for a long night. enjoy the long nights!

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I would add a route card at the local bobby shop, i know its basics, but it is a life saver,

Cool trip, where are you going from\to, on the clear\cloudy\stormy\sidewaysrainy\snowy\sleety\cold\windy days it is a stunning place to be,

Is sounds like overkill but if the local bobby knows your plans and area, then he is able to steer any rescue if you suffer a accident. Local advice is invaluable, stick a silver foil blanket/shelter in as well, I have had to use mine twice due to really bad wind+rain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE