Rohan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
What do you think of Rohan gear? The reason I ask is that I've been using it on and off for over 20 years - before it became a sort of yuppy Gucci. I've still got some Rohan Bags (trousers!) from that era that are perfectly serviceable, although slightly faded now. True, they may not survive campfires as well as cotton gear, and aren't cheap, but are extremely well-made, light, easy to wash, very quick to dry and last for ever!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got a khaki windproof smock which I've had for donkeys, it's a bit thread bare round the cuffs and hem but it's a cracking little jacket.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Himself and the boys have Rohan kit that I bought nearly twenty years ago and it's still sound.
The reversible fleeces/ windbreakers were superb. My trousers died a death (archaeology kills clothes:( ) but one of the men's pair from at least seven or eight years ago are still going strong; a wee bit faded maybe.
If you can find just what you're looking for in their sales :D :D

cheers,
M

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I had a lot of their stuff many years ago, in fact I used to live in it. I loved the Hyde and Olfio. I have heard form others that the current stuff is pretty good, but not tried it. Gave up on Rohan when Clarks took over. Some of the old stuff used to be very whacky and I got teased relentlessly about it, but it performed really well. There's a flickr stream with some old shots which is worth a look if you used to be into their stuff.

Last edited:

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I have a lot of Rohan gear, assembled over the last 20 years and I think it is great kit, by and large, especially if you are travelling light and want to pack stuff away small (and not worry about it creasing badly). Having said that, it is horrendously expensive for what it is and I don't think I have ever bought anything that has not been in their sale! You have to be quick though, if the sale is on, go the first day.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I might as well mention that the last time I was in T K Maxx they had Rohan hiking boots at their usual generous discount prices. They had two different styles.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Rohan stuff is great IMHO. I have several pairs of their trousers that have lasted 15 years plus and still going strong. They are expensive to buy but given their long lifetime tin service this becomes less important. Some of the gear is a bit too fashion conscious for my liking but for trousers and shorts and shirts, it's the business.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have loads of the stuff as well.
I started out with bags, got plenty of them now, also winter bags, thems great.
The only stuff that I did not like was there shirts.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Think i've still a couple of pars of bags,haven't worn them for a while.

Not sure if I tore them when I think of it.

Hathor

May 3, 2008
Prague
I am a major Rohan fan. I wear the Rohan Essentials trousers which are now back in the product line about 8 months of the year (until the temperature goes below zero). Great for hiking and working in a hot, sweaty environment.

Great quality stuff and not cheap even when in the sales!! I would gladly swap some cheap junk i bought for Rohan gear any day.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I was one of the original Rohan fans in the early eighties - jeans in a coke can etc. I remember coming down stairs all Rohaned up and my big brother asking why I was dressed like Captain Kirk (he had a knack of putting his finger on just the thing that would burst my bubble).

I wore it on and off through the eighties but bailed out when they were bought out and became a bit of an outdoor fashion brand. I think they still have good stuff, especially their wicking tees, but for the money now I would rather have Noronna or Haglofs, or Ventile or Swanni or etc etc

NS

Last edited:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I still have a lot of Rohan gear, which has lasted for years despite daily use.

Recent stuff though has been trouble with pocket stitching coming undone and colours fading more quickly than seems normal. The prices haven't fallen to match the lower standards.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi all
Their bags trouser are great had several pairs over the last 20 years ,yes they are expensive but in my experience will out last anything else on the market
Scott

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
I have 2 prs of Bags plus a pair of winter bags and superstriders plus two microfleece tops.
All have lasted several years of regular (Bags almost daily) use.
Good gear by and large, although some designs 'wacky'. You also need to be the 'right shape' for some of their stuff - I canna fit their jeans right - I'm 33 waist but I need a 36 to get me erse in (34 bags fit fine)
Good deals to be had periodically from their website and as somebody said - keep a lookout in TK max.
Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE