Ray Mears lecture tour 2010

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
I went to his one in Glasgow and thought it was great, this years was advertised under the same title, but woodlore replied to me saying it would be different, and the ticket was bought as a present for me, can't wait !

The details on the woodlore site are a bit vague, i saw his lecture last year and would like to know if this is going to be very simmilar or a bit different?

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Sorry, I didn't see this thread so started an other, we met in the Press Bar last time, nearest non-trendy pub, am I on my own..?
jon

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
hi jon, i'll be happy to meet up with ye beforehand, as stated b4 im on my lonesome so would be nice meet a few people b4 heading up. i know the press bar but will keep an eye out on here for any changes.

what time you thinking of meeting up at??

cheers

gaz

jimcall

Oct 15, 2008
Falkirk
I'm going to the Edinburgh one on Sunday, was at the event last year and it was very entertaining so looking forward to this one.

Jan 11, 2007
Killearn, Scotland,
Guys, I have a ticket I can't use for the Glasgow evening, If you know anyone who who like to go along, and hasn't yet got a ticket, I'd be happy to exchange it a donation on my justgiving page, I'd be happy to meet up and hand it over during the day. PM me if you can use it.....

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I've just noticed this thread so it's a little late, but I came up to Glasgow largly to see this and I'd of said it was worth it. The lecture is him sitting down with someone and answering questions about the people and places he's been to over the years. Threre must of been the better part of a 40 minute Q&A afterwards too with some interesting questions being asked.

The passion and respect for the people and cultures he meets really came over. Plus I bought his Bushcraf Survival book (which I've been meanng to for years now) and he signed it for me. All in all a top night.

I'll be going to his next tour, but I just hope it's a bit closer to home as 300 mile is a bit far. Mind you Scotland has some really nice views out the train window and from what I could see some really great rivers. If I didn't need to get back home for work tomorrow I'd stay up here and have a nice wonder about.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I was there in Glasgow last night and, unfortunately, it did not meet my expectations.

I have seen Ray twice before and the format was him effectively giving a talk and a slideshow, with a short question-and-answer session at the end.

I really didn't rate this new format, which, as described above, involves Ray sitting down with an interviewer, who asks him pre-agreed questions.

I felt the interviewer was not that au fait with the subject of bushcraft, didn't listen to Ray's answers, asked the same question twice and - frankly - I did not pay to see someone else speak. I believe this meant that, although they could spin the show out longer, it meant we actually learned little and heard less from the man himself. Whilst I'm sure the interviewer guy is a well-known TV personality, I think they could have found someone more suitable (Cameron MacNeish, Dougie Vipond or the like?). Ray is a great photographer and I would rather have seen his still pictures (which probably have not all been published before) than a few short DVD-extra style video clips.

Perhaps worst of all was the long question and answer session at the end, which involved a merry d**k-dance with two microphones being passed around the theatre and the 'interviewer' attempting to chaperone it all. I felt sorry for the guys in the balconies who didn't really get a look in. A few of the questions were good, most were pretty banal, and me and the missus were actually starting to get bored by about 9.45 as it also went on way too long. At times, it was a cringeworthy as a Radio 5 phone-in. There was the obligatory Bear Grylls question (sigh...), a question on knives (both of which I thought were diplomatically answered), and someone even asked him in all seriousness if he would come and be the Chief Scout if he was asked! Now, I know the guy who asked the question did not have the authority to ask this question and I also know that there is already a recently-in-post Chief Scout, Bear Grylls; so, was this just another dig at him? I have heard from a number of people in the Scout movement that Mr Grylls is doing a very good job so this could be seen as quite an insulting thing to say. I would also suggest that a question-and-answer session at Glasgow City Halls was not the right venue to ask this question - surely a nicely written letter from the Scout Association is the way that potential new Chief Scouts are addressed?
Regardless, at least the answers given to all of these questions were thoughtful and considered (even when the same question was asked by two different members of the audience - weren't you listening?).

Perhaps the worst one of all was someone who seemed - and I could be wrong - to be advertising a book! The book, 'Ribbon of Wilderness', looks a very interesting read; however, the guy mentioned it's name four of five times and kept going even when they were moving onto the next person who wanted to ask a question. Again, this really was not the venue or occasion. It was embarrassing and, from where I was sat quite near the front, I could see both Ray and the interviewer looking quite uncomfortable.

Surely, the best way to do the question thing is to get people to write the questions on a card, collect them at the interval, and pick the ones which would lead to a good, entertaining and informative answer?

Anyway, I do not have a downer on Ray Mears - quite the opposite: I have the utmost respect for him. However, I do not believe this was the right format for him and I certainly will not be going to see him speak again in the 'An Evening With ...' style.

Again, I paid £21 to hear Ray Mears speak and to gain the benefit of his expertise and experiences. There was not enough of this.

I hope for the sake of those who have tickets to see him in future that the 'show' improves, I really do. I know I am going to get a slating for making these comments but I think that we need to look critically at shows that we are paying good money to see. You may have to lower your expectations of the evening or you might be disappointed.

A real shame.

Last edited:
Well I got to meet him before the show in Glasgow where he took the time out to present my son with his Gold Scout Award and then sat with me, my daughter and son for twenty minutes for a chat in his dressing room before signing a couple of books and posing for a couple of pics.
I thought some of the questions were great in that they allowed him to answer in a way which, for me, proved his honesty, commitment and genuine love for the great outdoors and the people he has worked with and among.
The presenter was a pain in the **** tho'

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE