advice on a lightweight solo tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Hi Jonnie, I've got coleman one person, and it was the weight that made me get it, but it is small, and there's no room for your pack. I've just got a vango banshee 200, but not had chance to use it yet, but it does have more room, but comes in at about the same price, but at 2 kilo's.
Have a look at saunders tents on ebay, the jetpacker is a good weight, if you can find one.

Rob

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
the vango tempest 200 is a good little tent. We actually have the 300 for 2 of us, but it'll take your rucksacks in the entrance area (allbeit blocking you in if its a big pack). Would recommend checking it out at least.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
as a curiousity, whats the draw of the banshee over the tempest ? - i remember at the time having a toss up between the two. I think i didnt like the size of the space at the side for packs ?

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
cheers guys :) had a look at them both but they are a little heavy, I like how the coleman has aluminium poles that arent bent like carbon ones- my mates £150+ ME solo tent broke at the join on one of the carbon poles due to wind, I wouldnt want that happening to me!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have a Force10 Vitesse and rate it, however it is a single skin with the perceived problems. I haven't found condensation too much bother, just need a small, spare UL towel for the condensation in the morning IF it is really bad. However you can always leave the outer door (inner is a midge net door) open and you get very good airflow through. It shouldn't let rain in, unless it is really heave and probably driven rain too. It is down as a two ma but I use it for one and at 1.5kg (less if you don't count trekking poles which can replace the ligtht tent poles.

Not for everyone though.

If you have money you can get down to 560g apparently. If not there are cheaper tenst about 1.3/1.5kg. These are heavily compromised on some way though. Your choice on which compromise suits you. Whether that is condesnation from single skins or even from poorly ventilated / cheap tents (Banshee and Colemans have condensation problems too apparently). If you have about £260-£300 to spend get the Laser Competition. If you are really big then don't as I'd say it is only just good enough space for someone up to about 6'3" or 6'4" at the most.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
cheers paul. Im used to a tarp, not too bothered about room for my bag as I use dry bags and a rain cover- I've had a look at the force ten but its a bit out of my price range, I only really have upto £100 to play with. I would be expecting condensation from any tent tbh, im only used to budget argos ones that always have condensation in.

Andy woodsman

Sep 15, 2006
Herefordshire
Hi Jonnie - I have used a Terra Nova Laser Comp all over the UK and abroad in all weathers and it's brilliant - very light, small (but more than enough room for 1), bug net etc, but unless you can get it second hand, a bit pricey - Cotswoldsoutdoors sell it.
Andy

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
cheers paul. Im used to a tarp, not too bothered about room for my bag as I use dry bags and a rain cover- I've had a look at the force ten but its a bit out of my price range, I only really have upto £100 to play with. I would be expecting condensation from any tent tbh, im only used to budget argos ones that always have condensation in.

Craigdon Mountain Sports does it for that. There are cheaper ones around. I got mine from Kendal Camping a few years ago for less than that. I think you said your budget was up to £100. Although I do hear you, it is always better if you can find something a lot lower than your top price so that you can spend the excess on something else that you might need!!! :D

http://www.craigdonmountainsports.com/force-10-vitesse-200-tent

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
SASS Kit have one that might suit you in your price range - £37.50. A little heavy for what you want and low-ish hydrostatic head, but probably OK, and I would trust them to source a good product.

full_JURA%20TENT%20HIGHLANDER.jpg

http://www.sasskit.co.uk/product.php?id=52

NS

Last edited:

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Blacks have a massive tent sale on at the mo,if you can get an "octane" they only do them in red but otherwise really good for the reduced price

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Get the Gelert solo tent, I have and its brilliant. It so much smaller than I thought it would be and is about 1.3kg. Used it last month in bad wind and rain and I had no problems. :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A bit over your ideal weight but worth a look ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Lightweig...re_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item27b45bc5b2
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Action-Hi...re_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item4aa4a39ed4

Others to look out for too ..

Vango Force Ten Vapour
North Face Mountain Marathon

I think with your budget you're going to have to make a sacrifice with the weight, I'd be tempted to save up a few more pennies and treat myself to a Terra Nova Laser or similar.

Is a hooped bivvy bag and tarp an option ?

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
thanks for all the help guys! the pro action looks like a real contender, especially with the alu poles, a bit heavier than the coleman though. I've read some reviews about the gelert, it sounds good but I hear the poles are fragile- not good!

I've already got a tarp and bivvi combo, great stuff but a bit heavy at 2lb (GB issue tarp and dutch gtx bivi) and thats without poles- I want something for trips up to the lakes where I can pitch it with or without trees.

cheers for the suggestions shewie, I have had a look at the bottom two and they are a bit out of my price range. On a good note though I've got myself down on the waiting list for a pipedream 600 :) I've got a bit of money coming in as a bonus from work so I thought I would treat myself.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I just got a vango Banshee, only done one night in it and got another one this saturday but I like it, I like Vangos though, had a few and never had a problem with them.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Ive had no trouble with the poles on my gelert. I can see how people have snapped them because of the way they fit but aslong as you are careful and look at what your doing without being heavy handed then they will not break.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
rich your a star mate- that looks perfect, I guess the weight is lost with it being a single skin which is good, v.light for a 2 berth!

does anybody know what the shangri la 1 is like? seems to be going for 80 squids at most places, cant find how much it weighs though?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE