Does your kit shine or attract flies?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Ok, Kath said:

"Far too much of my kit is bright and shiny when it shouldn't be"

It's interesting because all of my kit is shiny, I'm a serial fiddler, I tend to get things out and clean them, have a play and put them back. I find that it's easier to find potential problems.

On the other hand, I know how it feels to go somewhere and have all ultra clean kit, looking like you've never spent a day outside... it's a little embarrasing :wink:

So, here's the question... nice and shiny or attracting flies... what's your kit like and do you have certain items that you keep clean or all of them?

Joe

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I like my kit to be bright and shiny. mainly because i buy the very best i can afford and want it to last as long as possible. seems strange to pay a fortune for kit then leave it damp collecting mildew.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
The kit I use doesn't shine! I am hopeless at cleaning my kit. There's probably loads of things I'm supposed to do to my knives but I never do. Just a sharpen every now and then (and more often than not that's done on the kitchen steel! :naughty:)

I do clothes in Nikwax every so often. The billy gets a pot scrubber on it occasionally (but it's older than I am, so any chance of getting the grime out out is long gone). My boots are way past ever being properly clean again let alone bulled. :?:

What I am guilty of is having too much kit that is yet to be used. I've got a brand new sleeping bag that I've not tried out. A knife that's never been out of its sheath. A Hennessy that I'm desperate to use again after having only slept in it one night! A backpack that I've not used on a single hike yet.

And when they're gifts and Christmas presents etc it feels really ungrateful not to have used them. :oops:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
:naughty: I jump up and down on my new gear while wearing my lugged boots. That way it matches the rest of my stuff.:lol:

Actually I keep my gear very clean, but because most of it is mil surplus, it don't shine much.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
My old kit is dying so I'm breaking in a new shiny one, even going to buy a new pack, looking at Duluth Packs like the canvass style. RA have you or anyone else used one or heard how they are?
just a thought

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
Most of my kit dose'nt shine. I just received a new haversack. The canvas is waxed and dyed. So even though new still dont shine. Hi Carcajou Garou, Im using a Frost River #7 pack now. Its made of waxed canvas and has a real good tump line. Use it both in the woods and at work. I work for California state parks as a Natural rescource managment maintance aide. Fancy name for a weed puller. But Im out in the rain alot and my gear is yet to get wet. Im very impressed with it.

jakunen

Native
Aside from brand new kit, none of mine shines.

Most of my kit has a 'lived in' look as its either old or been well used. I do keep everything clean, but as I like to blend in to my surroundings as much as possible, the brasso and duraglit don't go anywhere near my stuff. :rolmao:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
When I was in the TA we were told to make our kits cleanish, 100% serviceable but definately not to shine....I still do this with my kit now as a matter of habit....

The new stuff shines for a while but I have been known to use black insulation tape on any new shiney buckles on my packs etc...

Clean and serviceable is very important, if it's not serviceable then why am I bothering to carry it....if it's not clean then in the case of my mess kit, am I going to become unserviceable myself due to illness....

I think it's a matter of personal preferance and common sence... :eek:):

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sound and in good repair. I don't leave things in a state that will cause them to degrade but I'm not frantic with the shining bright and freshly ironed look. If it smells bad though, I'll scrub it thoroughly.

Toddy

Dave Farrant

Forager
Apr 16, 2003
Lancashire
I have a Friend whose brother was a Major General in the British Army and he would "break in" his Waxed cotton Jacket by getting a Tank to turn on it. Then get it cleaned and re proofed.

:yikes: :?:

W

Walkabout

After some time away i usually take over the conservatory, bung the heater and dehumidifier in there and give everyting a good airing so it wont rot or mildew in storage and wipe the mud off. Cooking kit gets scoured inside (outside stays black) and bunged in the dish washer. Then every now and again (when im at a loose end) ill get it all out sharpen things, oil things, strip things down and clean them, empty pockets etc. Although everything is clean nothing is really polished up. Its just kept servicable and rot, rust and mildew proof.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
My kit is clean and looked after as it will last me longer, allowing me to spend more money on it when it does need replacing. Most kit only really shines when it's in the shop because as soon as you use it it goes dull, well thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Brian

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
remember stainless steel billy CAN be put in the dishwasher :eek:):

most of my kit (depending on how new it is i guess) is maintained to the degree that it is like bam says '100% serviceable but definately not to shine' though i am a little lazy and some stuff doesnt get cleaned untill im just about to go out again.. found a bag of oranges in my backpack the other day which were festering to say the least.

my knives are the only thing which i pay special attention to.. and are generally and sharp and shiny as i can get them!

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
My kit I always give the due attention, so the odd item may shine, but most of it is used and looks it... I have soot on my Trangia that's been there for about 7 years and will never come off, but the insides I keep clean because of course it's food use! My boots are used and abused but I always clean them very thoroughly. A lot of the rest is just quite plain and wouldn't shine anyway, although you can tell the things I have barely used because they do gleam. You could say that I clean but don't polish.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i'm to lazy to clean it my kit back to a shiny new looking kit. I only clean it till it's clean enough. With most gear that means, barely or never. I like to called it a "experians" look. But i'm also guilty to having to much kit, so lots of shniy things too...

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Carcajou Garou said:
My old kit is dying so I'm breaking in a new shiny one, even going to buy a new pack, looking at Duluth Packs like the canvass style. RA have you or anyone else used one or heard how they are?
just a thought

Hiya CG, all I know about the Duluth pack is that they are excellent for heavy loads and stow well in the canoe, but can get wet, so everything inside will have to be watertite.

I sure do envy your ability to take the canoe out and wander the waterways at your ease and camp where ever you fancy. That to me seems to be a very peaceful way to travel and is a freedom few will ever experience in their lives. I can hear the loon's call, accompanied by the flute as they echo in perfect harmony over the hazy water of a silky smooth lake. Yeah man, now that's the way to live. :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE