New Drinksafe waterbag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
The one thing that I find a pain when going out to camp overnight is taking water with me. At 1kg for every litre of water it certainly takes its toll on my legs, so the idea of carrying a means of purifying water AT camp seems to make sense.

My solution was to buy a gravity fed Drinksafe waterbag, i got the new model which isn't even on their website yet!

The water collection bag will hold approx 10 litres of water and is made out of a tri-laminate dry-bag, you just open the bag and submerge it in the water – obviously the cleaner the better so as not to block the whole thing up.

IMG_9069.jpg

This system is a gravity fed filter, so once the bag is full, roll the top of the dry-bag over and then clip around the branch of a tree.

IMG_9084.jpg

Inside the bag there is a stainless steel enclosed primary filter – for removing the large pieces of sediment etc, this can be removed for cleaning.

IMG_9074.jpg

On the outside of the bag there is a plastic bolt into which the tubes etc screw.

IMG_9073.jpg

If you want to remove the steel filter inside the bag, you must undo the blue plastic bolt from the outside.

I got a very good seal when screwing in the piping, which is made of good quality material, all secured with ribbed connectors so the tubes dont slide off.

IMG_9076.jpg

In the middle of the tubing is the plastic housing for the micro purification filter, again all with ribbed connectors for a secure fit.
The filter chamber unscrews to be able to replace or check for blockages.

The great thing about this set up is the little tap at the end of the pipping which allows me to regulate the flow a little, or turn it off completely. The website states a flow rate of 300 + ml per minute.

IMG_9082.jpg

All in all i have found this to be a very effective product, it does everything i could ask of it. It weighs in at about 400g and will filter 1600 litres of water on one cartridge.
The only improvement i have made is to put a simple muslin filter at the opening of the bag, just to remove as much sediments as possible before filtering

Hope this is of interest. Usual disclaimers aply...
... No connection to the seller, just a satisfied customer.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been looking at similar systems from the States, care to share how much it cost and where you got it ? Did you buy it direct from their website ?

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Hi Rich,
Cant believe i forgot to put the price on, Doh!

The one i bought goes for £36.95+ P&P but i believe they do a smaller size, maybe a more subdued colour too :)

The website is: http://www.drinksafe-systems.co.uk
Just email the inventor/owner Giles Butler and i'm sure he will sort you out, i found him to be a very helpful chap.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
If you're going to Middlewood, ill be bringing it with me. You can give it the once over then if you like.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Looks light enough but I cannot seem to find any specifications on their site with regards to the level of filtration as in microns...... and that sets off alarms bells IMHO

Just found out the filtration level is only 2 microns- way short of the mark- what a pity-
Lifesaver bottle will filter to 0.015 microns
That should help you draw your own conclusions!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
The important thing to remember is that both systems deliver safer drinking water. While the DrinkSafe may have a larger pore size it will still filter out most bacteria and protozoa. Anything that slips through the screens is caught with chemical treatment. In that respect it's not a whole lot different from your domestic water supply - in many cases it tastes better too! It's also worth pointing out the DrinkSafe is significantly cheaper than the Lifesaver.

I'll be the first to admit I've had something of a love-hate relationship with my early filtration bag it's good to see DrinkSafe responding to customer feedback. The improved mechanical filtration and proper hose fittings go along way to solving my previous irritations. The early bag was good but this new version seems to do the job a whole lot better. As Trunks pointed out, a more subdued colour might not be a bad idea.

Last edited:

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Looks light enough but I cannot seem to find any specifications on their site with regards to the level of filtration as in microns...... and that sets off alarms bells IMHO

Just found out the filtration level is only 2 microns- way short of the mark- what a pity-
Lifesaver bottle will filter to 0.015 microns
That should help you draw your own conclusions!

Fair points Bert, but i suppose it depends on what you want from the product.

It is unlikely i will be taking this out of the UK and most of the water i'll be running through it would probably be ok without treatment. This product gives me added "protection" at a good price and a light pack weight.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
As Trunks pointed out, a more subdued colour might not be a bad idea.

According to their site, the only colour is black. A bit confusing when one looks at the photos :confused:

Drinksafe Waterbag

Purifies and filters water instantly

* Replaceable maintainable purification filter cartridge
* Serviceable stainless steel sediment filter
* Over engineered ‘Fill no spill ‘ waterbag with carry handles
* Auto shutdown system will always protect
* Can be re used stored and re used until end of filter life
* Can be filled in situ without spilling - As a simple shower / Waterbowl
* Insulating cover weight and hang strap and Tap trickle adaptor
* Full user operational guide included English and Pictograms
* 1 year warranty

Water delivery method: Gravity feed

Delivery Rate: 300 +mlnute

Water capacity: 7.0 lt (7 kgs water weight)

Water Delivery / Filter Life expectancy: up to 1600 litres

Supplied with: Carry bag Sediment filter wadding (discs)
Tap Trickle adaptor and Anti bacterial tubing On/Off valve

Total system Weight: 375g

Dimensions packed: 220mm x 100mm

Colours available: Black
Drinksafe Waterbag £32.95
http://www.drinksafe-systems.co.uk/products.php

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think the black one on the website is the predecessor to the one Trunks has just got, he mentions in the OP that it's not advertised yet.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I think the black one on the website is the predecessor to the one Trunks has just got, he mentions in the OP that it's not advertised yet.

Just what Rich said :)

I ended up buying the prototype! As far as i am aware there will be two colour options, Black or orange.

Email drinksafe for more details on the "NEW" version, as above.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How's the bag fairing these days James ?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a gravity filter and the Supalite keeps popping up in my searches.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
It's been great Rich. I've only used it a handful of times, but have found it to be a lot more robust than the previous models. Sometimes the pre-filter mesh gets a bit clogged, but that's not a massive problem to clean out.

The larger version i've got is quite big, but the tri-laminate bag is as tough as old boots. I presume the smaller one is made of the same material?

Hope this helps. If you want to have a loan of mine, PM me your address & i can post this out to you to have a "try before you buy".

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's been great Rich. I've only used it a handful of times, but have found it to be a lot more robust than the previous models. Sometimes the pre-filter mesh gets a bit clogged, but that's not a massive problem to clean out.

The larger version i've got is quite big, but the tri-laminate bag is as tough as old boots. I presume the smaller one is made of the same material?

Hope this helps. If you want to have a loan of mine, PM me your address & i can post this out to you to have a "try before you buy".

Thanks for the offer mate but I've already pulled the trigger :)

I think the Supalite is made of a proofed nylon so is a fair bit lighter and less bulky than the PVC one. Looking forward to giving it a go when it lands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE