Rattling Trangia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
I got a swedish army trangia today which is great...already used it to make a cup of tea. I've checked rest of the forums and found the excellent tutorial to use it but I can't work out how to put the thing together properly. I read something about putting the hook into the second notch so it doesn't rattle. I can't work it out. Do they all rattle or am I being dim? Is there a way to 'lock' the windshield onto the main parts for ease of carrying or does it always come away? Any advice would be helpful. Sorry if I'm being dim.

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
Khimbar:

To the best of my knowledge, the only neat thing to do is run a belt through the square tab (on the big pot) and around the outside of the whole unit to more-or-less hold it together. At least you'll keep the hook from rattling so much.

The center detent on the bail is for using the hook. The off-center detent is so you can lay the hook flat against the windscreen when it's packed up. (You should run your new belt over top of the bail and hook.)

It's not really slick with the hook in the off-center detent, just marginally better.

Bear

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
or just find an old hessian sack or sandbag, it keeps the rattling down and helps to keep soot away from your other kit. it also has a ncer bushcrafty feel than plastic bags or nylon stuffsacks

cheers, and.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
In fact I'm planning to make just such a bag from the leg of an old pair of trousers who's waist seems to have shrunk (again!)

Dave

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
I like that idea Dave. I must get the same shrinking trousers as you.
Is there an optimum fuel amount for a trangia? I'm trial and erroring at the moment. Any recommendations?

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
just tie the ...damn......oooh....get in there.....aaaagh....push.....no don't come undone....aaaah almost got you.....
......Rattle!......... DOH!

i can just immagine it! :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

ahhh the good old ways are the best! :wink:

tip:
put some vaseline on the threads of the fuel cap this will stop it getting stuck as many have found to their dismay! i always now carry a small pice of rubber innertube to slip over the cap to give me better grip when it has got stuck. immagine it cold hands cold cooker cold food! :cry:

another tip:
because it's difficult to see the flames in sunlight when you think it is lit stick a used match in the meths if it burns you know it's lit!

another:
if you spill unlit meths don't worry to much, it will clean whatever it went on it will evaporate very quickly.

another:
if you spill burning meths, again don't panic too much it burns at a low heat and can be quickly smothered with out too much damage. do not throw water on it!

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
Thanks all for the advice and information. I've just put a piece of leather thong I had through there now. Should keep it rattle free for a while. Roll on the weekend so I can have a proper play...err...I mean test.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
An excellent question. The big hook drives me nuts and the windshield always hits the deck! Great stove but lousy stealth equipment! :-D

Does anyone know why it's designed this way or is there an extra part that you get only if you're in the Swedish military??

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Mine doesn't rattle at all - I just hook the big hook into one of the small holes on the windshield. If I can I'll do a pic.

Mine is green - some are plain aluminium but AFAIK they are otherwise identical.

I'm so impressed I've ordered a couple more - surely the supply can't go on forever, especially at these prices. I mean, there's only 9 million Swedes.....maybe the government planned to issue two each.....

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Kath said:
An excellent question. The big hook drives me nuts and the windshield always hits the deck! Great stove but lousy stealth equipment! :-D

Does anyone know why it's designed this way or is there an extra part that you get only if you're in the Swedish military??

Don´t blame the equipment, mine are silence as a mouse it does not rattle or anything like that. And there are no special made for the army.

I am working on a tutorial about the mess kit, but since nothing happens on the bcuk site this wll be published on another site.

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I keep mine in an old fashioned canvas child’s shoe bag (the type with a drawstring top). John Lewis sells them at a reasonable price. This seems to stop any rattling for me.

ranger

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Kath said:

Thats strange mine is the opposite I have to force mine off with my thumbs it always seemed to be stuck on, never looked at the reason why :?:

I keep it together with an old piece of inner tube round it, like a big rubber band.

If I am just taking the Mess Kit with me I put it all in a plastic bag then put it in a haversack (Shoulder bag) I also have a water bottle with a filter in the top with me as it saves me carrying water.
All the brewing gear fits inside the messkit.

MickT :wave:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Viking said:
I am working on a tutorial about the mess kit, but since nothing happens on the bcuk site this wll be published on another site.

Good for you Viking, don't let busy people hold you back. I'm happy for you to mention where you put it so we can all have a look :biggthump

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I'll see if I can get a pic up.

Incidentally, the Swedish Army Trangia sells for up to £22 on evilbay (you could get three of them, delivered, from Surplus and adventure for £23.85!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE