Group buy anyone? ;)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sgw1

Aug 16, 2010
Yorkshire
"World's most expensive book goes up for sale.

Only 119 complete copies of The Birds of America are known to exist A rare copy of John James Audubon's Birds of America, billed as the world's most expensive book, is to go on sale at Sotheby's, it has been announced.

Only 119 complete copies of the 19th-century book are known to exist, and 108 are owned by museums and libraries.

A separate edition of the wildlife book sold for a record-breaking price of $8.8m (£5.7m) a decade ago.

The copy going under the hammer in December comes from the collection of the late Lord Hesketh.

"It contains 1,000 life-sized illustrations of almost 500 breeds.

It took wildlife artist John James Audubon 12 years to complete his study.

He did so by travelling across America, shooting the birds. He would then hang them on bits of wire to paint them.

The artist then went to Britain to print the volumes and targeted the rich to buy copies."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11242275

Full contents here:-

http://web4.audubon.org/bird/boa/boa_index.html

Obviously far smaller than the life sized originals.

Now lets see... £6000,000 / 15,589 members = only £384.8867791391366 each!

I think I will just have to stick with Bird Guide.
;)

Last edited:

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I was fortunate enough to see this book in the flesh, so to speak. There is a copy in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, which is exhibited every now and then. It is an absolutely stunning piece of work.

sgw1

Aug 16, 2010
Yorkshire
I was fortunate enough to see this book in the flesh, so to speak. There is a copy in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, which is exhibited every now and then. It is an absolutely stunning piece of work.

Wow I would love to see it, do you know if anywhere else shows a copy?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE