really big old trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sgw1

Aug 16, 2010
Yorkshire
That Yew is unbelievable! Just imagine if trees could talk the history lesson they could give you.

The Fortingall Yew being another that could tell a tale or two. Estimated at 2 - 5,000 yrs and the oldest living tree (thing?) in Europe. Legend has it that Pontious Pilot played under it as a child! The dates and the Roman occupation of the area fit but it sounds too convenient. It does put the age into perspective though. Not so impressive to see unfortunatly, surrounded by a protective wall and looking more like a ring of separate trunks than a single tree.

Nice pics Robin. Looks like nature has taken over the deadwooding now. ;)

Last edited:

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Robin, I can't help but wonder if you have a calculation for working out how many bowls you can carve out of a big tree like that. :)

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I have a picture sent by my brother who lives in Tas. This shows the remains of a tree that was 16' across at the butt. The sad thing about the trees in this part of the world is that they are still cut regularly for the pulp industry. No respect is shown for their age, simply their volume in produce terms.
Luckily the pulp industry is on a downturn and as a result there is mass un-employment in the north west region of the island. not good for the people, but very good for the trees! (My daughter has just been contracted to look after the 'teenage health' of this area)
I would recommend, if you can, visiting Blenheim park (next years Game Fair venue) and seeing the old Oaks there. These are truly huge! I think we measured 40' with a tape around one...
Another item to be aware of is the 'Acute Oak Decline' problem that is relentlessly spreading across the UK. As yet not quite making headline news, but scary none the less. I visited a region in Suffolk recently and saw first hand the results of this. I have been inspecting every dead Oak that I come across here at work in Bucks. Luckily the Agrilus beetle has not raised its head here....yet!
Swyn.

sgw1

Aug 16, 2010
Yorkshire
Another item to be aware of is the 'Acute Oak Decline' problem that is relentlessly spreading across the UK. As yet not quite making headline news, but scary none the less. I visited a region in Suffolk recently and saw first hand the results of this. I have been inspecting every dead Oak that I come across here at work in Bucks. Luckily the Agrilus beetle has not raised its head here....yet!
Swyn.

Very worrying. I still mourn the loss of our elms.

:(

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire

Yep, Ive only a winter pic. Its not mahoosive but jolly nice. Im hopeing to climb it one day, but i think i'll do it on a nice calm day as the base is a tad dodgy.

elvopadock.jpg

Plenty of big narly old oaks in Sherwood, and im still trying to get permission to have a sneaky peak at the ones in Chatsworth that are closed off :)

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Plenty of big narly old oaks in Sherwood, and im still trying to get permission to have a sneaky peak at the ones in Chatsworth that are closed off :)

Sherwoods stag headed oaks are great, I must dig some photos out, have them on the computer somewhere. I turned a bowl from a branch when they had their big TV lottery bid in. I have been meaning to ask about seeing the oaks at Chatsworth sometime too the tree surgeons I get most of my wood from do a lot of work on them. If you get permission for a tour fancy asking for 2?

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
There are some really nice old trees at Capesthorne hall near me, I love going there for a look round, there is a monster Sweet Chestnut there its got to be 10 ft at the base.

There are some nice Oaks there, this photo doesn't do it justice really.

DSC_1510.jpg

DSC_1515.jpg

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Found some pics of the Chestnut. not very good as it was on a camera phone.

Photo0210.jpg

Photo0211.jpg

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
There great trees Simon, sweet chestnuts one of my favourites, there's some excellent spiral twisted bark patterns near me.

I'll ask Robin, although it sounds like your halfway there already :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
There great trees Simon, sweet chestnuts one of my favourites, there's some excellent spiral twisted bark patterns near me.

You might like the Chipperfield Chestnut in that case Addo :)

Reputed to be over 300 years old and a girth of 21ft
Chip4.jpg

Sorry about the pic but it was done on my phone

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
There's a lot of lovely big trees at Fingask Estate near Dundee - for those in the area.

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
got a couple of pics wilst out cycling today,
was thinking what to use for scale, then thought ill use my bike :) 5 1/2 ft end to end
not the best of pics sorry
an oak
P9130058.jpg

P9130059.jpg

P9130061.jpg

pine 1
P9130064.jpg

P9130067.jpg

pine 2
P9130071.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE