Bathtub ground sheet for bashering?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I'm failing miserably to refind a site that had a range of lightweight groundsheets with raised edges to use under a basha?

I think they were refered to as bathtub groundsheets and came in a range of sizes. The only things similar I have found have been these

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product471.asp?PageID=36.

Help? I dare say I could make something similar but at the mo i am short of spare time.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
OK, that ones proved a non runner so can anyone point me towards a small lightweight ground sheet about 1 metre by 2.25 metres in a subdued but non camo (herself takes the ****) colour? Just something to keep me off the wet ground. I've a bivvy bag but thats far to heavy for what I want to do.

Cheers!

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!
thats just the sort of thing but the price is a bit steep (well, a lot steep!)

It's looking like I will have to use some of my copious free time to make something

ATB

Tom

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... can anyone point me towards a small lightweight ground sheet about 1 metre by 2.25 metres in a subdued but non camo (herself takes the ****) colour?

Would you consider a bit of DIY? If so, an IPK might fit the bill. Big enough to make at least one bath tub ;)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thats a damn good idea! i'd totally fogotten about those things and I think theres one squirreled away under the stairs minus the tent peg thingies and cord..

Tent sealent should work on any seems.

Cheers!

Tom

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Hi mate, the Robens tents come with groundsheets in the porch area that have zips in the corners to make them bathtub. Probably anywhere that sells the tents will sell the groundsheets seperately. Just another option. Cheers.

sgw1

Aug 16, 2010
Yorkshire
Please let us know how you get on sticking that stuff tombear. I have yet to find anything that will stick the usual groundsheet material properly. Best so far is some industrial strength double sided tape but it's not perfect.

btw... why a bathtub under a tarp?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
btw... why a bathtub under a tarp?

Because sometimes this

rough_close_dec_08_004.sized.jpg

happens (pic borrowed from addo - post #339 this thread)

Admittedly, thought will need to go into stopping the sides from flopping when/if pushed by water :22::thinkerg:

sgw1

Aug 16, 2010
Yorkshire
I think I would tend to concentrate on pitch selection rather than building a boat. ;)

My own experience of bathtubs is not very good. If they are perfectly waterproof they hold any water that does inevitably get in, wind blown, on clothes and gear, spills etc. However, they usually acquire pinholes after some use. Then, under flowing ground water conditions as in your pic, it percolates through the pinholes and fills the appropriately named "bathtub".

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I think I would tend to concentrate on pitch selection rather than building a boat. ;)

:lmao: If it rains for long enough, a good choice of pitch can be more luck that judgement/experience :lmao:

My own experience of bathtubs is not very good. If they are perfectly waterproof they hold any water that does inevitably get in, wind blown, on clothes and gear, spills etc.

To a varying extent, the same can be said for a tent, hammock or bivi bag.

However, they usually acquire pinholes after some use. Then, under flowing ground water conditions as in your pic, it percolates through the pinholes and fills the appropriately named "bathtub".

Again - the same goes for tents and bivi bags.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
When I find the damn sheet (emptied out under the stairs at 11 PM, much to everyone elses annoyance, no sign of it!) I intend to sew the corner folds at the top and slap plenty of seem sealer on.

I'm not quite sure how to stop the middle sections collapsing.

Cheers for all the input folks.

Ah for the days when i was young and humped a Buffalo sleeping bag about, I didn't care if it got wet or muddy!

ATB

Tom

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... I'm not quite sure how to stop the middle sections collapsing.

You could always use some of the excess IPK to create a series of 'little buckets' along the sides and ends. Or make a stretcher type affair - but have the base of the stretcher dropped. Use locally foraged natural materials as props/stays - or possibly, walking poles (if they're suitable or long/strong enough :confused: ).

sgw1

Aug 16, 2010
Yorkshire
:lmao: If it rains for long enough, a good choice of pitch can be more luck that judgement/experience :lmao:

To a varying extent, the same can be said for a tent, hammock or bivi bag.

Again - the same goes for tents and bivi bags.

All very true but I was realy considering the potential advantages of a bathtub over a flat groundsheet, not over a tent, hammock or bivvi.

I just don't personaly see any advantage with a bathtub groundsheet that would help enough to make one worthwhile. Even with some sort of support at the corners, few bathtub groundsheets would keep out a stream of water running underneath. Any that did, wouldn't do it for many trips on anything rougher than a bowling green.

At first thought they seem such a great idea, but I have found the expected advantages to be missing for use under a tarp. I do like them sewn into inner tents though. Each to their own I suppose.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just a very small dam to stop the worst of the crap coming in, I could live without it and have a plain flat sheet but for the sake of a ounce or so of extra material.

I never bothered when I used a full sized thermorest but now I've one of those 3/4 megalight jobs (in oh so subtle luminous orange) I want something to stop my sleeping bag doing its giant sponge impression!

One step forward, two steps back!

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE