most useless kit ever seen on the market

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
deffo signage! i think some of the signs in use are utter rubbish, i once saw one that said 'Blind people this way' with an arrow showing direction, it was huge as well, kinda like when english people shout at foreign people in an aid to be better understood, it was like the sign needed to be as big as possible to get the message across! also it was next to a road, very scary thought!
i know it was for people being taken to wherever the destination was but, can you imagine being the sign-maker and getting that job. ceh?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There are so many useless signs I wanted to be the founder member of the Campaign for Punctuation in Road Signs. "Lambs keep dogs out" is probably my favourite.

Mind you, "Bridge works" is very reassuring when you are approaching it at speed...

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Even more infuriating...what do you do after you wash your hands?...open the door to get out of the Lavvy, et al...or worse you go out side and touch the 'real world'....OMG you may actually get dirt on your once supposed clean hands!!! :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:
Oh Don't get me started on the 'advertising man' I can't abide by their whole 'profit from fear policy' AAAAARRRRGGHH!!!!!
oooh you've got me on my high horse now...it'll take all day to jump off....:rolleyes:

I once saw a programme on TV that two presenters used a series of toothbrushes then left them in various locations in a room set up as a typical bathroom. They then tested the toothbrushes for fecal matter (****e to you and me). Anyway theey found all of them had it in some degree and the brushes left on top of thee toilet weren't the ones with the highest levels!!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I liked the one that said "Goat eggs for sale, $1.50 a dozen".

Or the one that said "This sign is not in use".

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Police Slow

is a favourite - the rest of you lot, quick as you like :)

A mate of mine really hates grammatically incorrect signage. Visible from a major motorway is a JCB warehouse with the logo "world parts centre". My buddy called in and requested a continent and a brace of fjords

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Most "useless kit" is invariably good for a laugh though...

'Combat sunglasses' with unbreakable camouflaged frames..That's what the advert said.... They also had mirror reflective lenses I noticed...:lmao:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
no really whats the point?.unles you run a motel that "Mother"watches from the wierd house behind, and you want a bit more accuracy.
laser_scissors_2__28636_zoom.jpg

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
After reading the insructions i think it's a brilliant idea, as it says visually impared, all joking aside are there braillle maps?

If they make braille maps then night navigation would be a thing to invest in but you'd need to sell your shares in torches. Think of the possibilities though: stealth map reading! Ninja navigation!! I wonder if they come in anti-radar reflective covering? That big flat area's gonna make a pretty big blip on the radar.

Just wondering though. If they make braille maps then how would the user know which bit of grass he has under his fingertips at a particular time in realtion to that shown on the map? Maybe the sheep ate that bit of grass that day and the map maker didn't take that into account. What's the difference between that stream and this stream and would the map show the difference accurately for the blind outdoorsman?

Searching questions which I'm sure there are answers for ... somewhere.

sgw1

Aug 16, 2010
Yorkshire
Not only the most useless piece of kit but has to rank among the longest running:-

eK7OoYRXv-H1CsM3yvVagdv1I_CFOQ9_0Y74RU1zdqPYYITuzsdk3GGH2inhKh5RKaX5xM2-3CWkiimf8hAM90uUlW0cwi-Xl28HKsLK7eimOHrTe2XJs3f48V1cRdHRkbEE4guVvcySQiCX9s_fT33E-IwpSg

I remember my parents buying one back in the early 60s and they are still making, and apparently selling them!

sgw1

Aug 16, 2010
Yorkshire
Toddy is closest with a bread steamer but I like the bridge idea too.

Meant to be a camping toaster but all it actually achieves is to turn fresh bread into stale bread in about 10 mins.

They must have sold thousands of them over the years.

btw... Anyone wanting a toaster to use on a gas stove should look for this type:-

41jiQjlehbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Toddy is closest with a bread steamer but I like the bridge idea too.

Meant to be a camping toaster but all it actually achieves is to turn fresh bread into stale bread in about 10 mins.

They must have sold thousands of them over the years.

btw... Anyone wanting a toaster to use on a gas stove should look for this type:-

41jiQjlehbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

These also work well on a Trangia - but thats taking this thread in the wrong direction :)

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
ah...Biker got a knife in there already...I took too long to formulate a reply :(

But yes....signage

Down the A14 last 2 weeks ago I saw BIG Electronic road signs that had just been installed...and mile after mile I'd chuckle at the little yellow signs underneath saying "Sign not in use"....how confusing ;)
I'm sure the 'darwin effect' will show up as some one will look at the yellow sign in isolation and sit there for a day or two thinking 'does not compute' until there head explodes....Tee hee hee

We have road signs that say something to the effect of: "Obey road signs"!!! ***!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE