A Days Herping for Adders - Loadsa pics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
My method is not to find the snakes, but find the sort of places that an adder loves to bask in.

As a friend of mine did last year around this time when he almost sat on one in a northern glen. It was on a pile of rocks, probably the remains of an old sheiling, when his dog barked a warning. He got a great photo of the adder actually raised and hissing, although it couldn't have been perturbed in the least as it was in the same position an hour later. We wondered if there was something amiss with it but what you say above confirms that as normal behaviour.

It could have been a close run thing all the same, with the road a fair 3 hour walk over the hill and him not as young as he used to be.

Cheers.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm sure there are loads of folks who have seen an adder just as it's disappearing into the undergrowth as you walk by. Here's a tip. Sit down close to where it was basking, with your head and shoulders below the snakes horizon and downwind. Within five minutes or so, the snake will be back to bask in the same spot. Sometimes it only tales them a minute, but generally they will be back and you can get some great shots or watch them as they settle down to bask again. They will generally use the same basking spots, so even if you came back on another day, you should still see the same individual there.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My first adder was in Glentrool hills on way up to Merrick. Me Dad nearly stood on it but jumped back last minute, onto my sister who then saw the adder and ran 100m back down the path screaming. I was 2 years younger so I ran forward to try to catch it. Bugger could shift some. I just couldn't catch it. Gave up after a few failed lunges. I was only about 7 at the time and was waiting til my 10th birthday when a pet snake was promised to me.

Since then as a kid I used to see loads in the Lakes. Still remember a cub scout trip over Loughrigg terrace when they were all over the place. You had no trouble seeing them. Any but of raised, sunny ground had at least one on it from memory. I must admit that was probably best part of 25 plus years ago and I have probably only seen about 4 adders in the last 6 years in the Lakes. I am sure the populations have dropped off a bit in the intervening years. Do like them. I found a nice young'un last year and took a nice piccie. Would have been one from the year before I guess as it was May and it was about pencil thin. It eas found by the Hadrians Wall on our first day. We missed the first day and did long days so possibly 1/3rd of the way along from the Eastern end. Used it as my facebook profile for a bit.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's a sad fact that populations are plummeting dramatically. 25 years ago I could find at least ten in the same amount of minutes in my area and you could easily recognise the same individuals year after year. It is a very different story these days.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yep I reckoned that was the case. Perhaps the likes of NT or BTCV could do with setting up those snake shelter thingies I once saw that part troll part klingon comedian make on one of his "saving nature" shows. He did one on Barn Owls, another on scaring deers from busy roads (since used in Lakes now for years) and a snake shelter for winter. Had a name but like most things I forget it.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yep I reckoned that was the case. Perhaps the likes of NT or BTCV could do with setting up those snake shelter thingies I once saw that part troll part klingon comedian make on one of his "saving nature" shows. He did one on Barn Owls, another on scaring deers from busy roads (since used in Lakes now for years) and a snake shelter for winter. Had a name but like most things I forget it.

Artificial hibernaculum.

unfortunately, it's the destruction of natural hibernacula that is causing the problems. It's known as heathland restoration and although it does restore heathland, it destroys the reptile sites and hibernacula during the seasons when they are either using them and so causing mass wipe out, or when snakes are in breeding season, and so dispersing them, when they should be congregating. These are conservation organisations that are causing this too. Despite several meeting we have with them, they disregard all of the research and go ahead anyway. It seems pretty parks are more of a concern, than the creatures living in them.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
Fascinating Jonathan.

I've taken every opportunity to wander the Scottish hills all of my adult life. I see common lizards often and am amazed they can survive harsh winters with deep frost penetration in the high moors but can only say I've seen adders on half a dozen occasions,

I've been to scotland once, 2 weeks ago to the forest of ae. I came a split second and 14 inches away from stepping on one.

sods law really, i utterly, utterly, hate snakes. :) ...so i ran like hell.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
They're great pictures. Cheers for putting them up.

Herping - new word for the day. :)

There are adders in the gorse bush that we stash stuff in at a pals bit. Usually only catch a brief glimpse as I'm pulling out the fish crates or lobster pots but on occasion you'll get one sunning itself on one of the branches for a while and get a good look at them.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Some big female adders out basking yesterday. They were very alert due to the heat though, so no pics. Got some nice ones of this juvenile slow-worm though..

01Sept20107.jpg

01Sept20108.jpg

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Loads in Aldershot. I've recorded stacks over Puttenham Common.

Hello Jonathan,when in Aldershot have you ever recorded any in Hankley Common? When i was young recruit many many years ago i seem to remember the place swarming with them . Great pictures you have taken there.Cheers.
Darren

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I know Hankley very well. Great chunks of the common were destroyed to make way for the golf course, and prime habitat that had Smooth snakes, sand lizards and adders etc were cut up because of it. Amazing that the common was a protected area because of these rare reptiles, but Natural England rolled over in the wake of golf course planning applications. Sadly the adders there are killed regularly as they can be found in the rough ground around the golf course and bask there too. The population is nowhere near what it was three years ago, and is being reduced year on year.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I normall like adders (grass snakes, slow worms, etc) but right now I'm a bit more ambivalent. The reason is that my two dogs tangled with an adder, with the expected result (i.e. vet bills). All appears to be well, we'll get the final verdict in 3-4 weeks when we take follow up tests (for internal organ damage). But they are nice to look at, and have as much right to live as any other living organism, so I would still not kill one unless I had to.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
so I would still not kill one unless I had to.

Why would you have to? It is illegal to kill or harm any reptile within the UK, they are protected by law and they are fast becoming a rare sight now. I find it upsetting that many people consider killing snakes OK (even though protected), but would be horrified at the thought of people doing the same to otters, red squirrels and bats.

That's not a direct statement at you forestwalker, just an observation of some animal lovers within the UK.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Why would you have to? It is illegal to kill or harm any reptile within the UK, they are protected by law and they are fast becoming a rare sight now. I find it upsetting that many people consider killing snakes OK (even though protected), but would be horrified at the thought of people doing the same to otters, red squirrels and bats.

Well, this being Sweden out laws are a bit different than those in the UK. Here they are just as protected, byt you are allowed to kill the near dwellings and so on (and culturally many people will kill snakes regardless, often making no distinction between a totally harmless grass snake and an potentially dangerous adder). So, with two small children one could argue that it would be justified (I certainly would be on ok ground legally), but I see the risk as fairly modest (even for the kids), so I would not kill one. I've seen them around the house and barn a few times, but just kept away, so no problem. But with a few hundred quid in vet bills one does get a bit annoyed, even if the dogs were probably the ones that provoced it.

But if one was living right where the kids (or dogs) were all the time, and there was a significant risk of someone getting too close and getting bitten, I would have to do something (easy to tell a grownup not to go there without looking, but try that with a 6 year old...). Probably I would just transfer into a bucket and dump it out in the woods; not optimal, but safer for all involved parties.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE