Kipping out in the wilderness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

How many nights have you spent out in one go?

• 1 night?

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • 2 Nights (weekend)

Votes: 17 11.8%
  • 3 - 6 nights (week)

Votes: 46 31.9%
  • 7 - 14 nights (1 - 2 weeks)

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • 15 - 21 nights

Votes: 17 11.8%
  • 22 nights or more......quite a while!!

Votes: 26 18.1%

• Total voters

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Most i've been out is 2 nights i'll be honest, but i'm willing to give longer a go, problem is i have a family to support :D

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
Most i've been out is 2 nights i'll be honest, but i'm willing to give longer a go, problem is i have a family to support :D
your not the only one! my outdoor excursions have taken a back burner this year due to my 4th and definitely last son being born,and my camping buddy very selfishly deciding to have a minor stroke (just kidding chris!).

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Don't know exactly, didn't count, several months on a sailing boat on several occasions. Loads of stories, some hilarious, some involving danger to life, all very educational. One of my favourite moments was a swan in the Dart estuary repeatedly trying to eat the purple fleece that I was wearing. No idea why it found it so attractive.

One of my most vivid memories wasn't actually part of a voyage at all. While sailing somewhere off the south coast of England I was called back to work (VHF telephone linkup in those days, no mobiles) because of some computer problem that urgently needed my attention. So I put into somewhere like Rye, can't remember exactly where, and went to the station to catch a train. Wherever it was, this seaside town had a sleepy little station and I bought a ticket and got on an almost empty train to London. In London I would have to change trains to get to Derbyshire.

When I got off the train in London, for an instant I was absolutely terrified by the massive throng of people rushing towards me, hell-bent on getting on that train before anybody else did.

I'm not kidding about this. I've lived in London. I've driven fast motorcycles. I've worked with high explosives. I've practiced engine failure procedures in an R22. I've even sailed a 21 foot wooden sloop over Brancaster Shallows in a northerly gale (definitely not recommended, even for the most experienced; my crewman started to sing hymns to keep his mind off things but when he got to 'Rock of Ages' I asked him to stop). And yet for an instant, looking at that crowd of expressionless faces storming towards me along the platform was the scariest moment I've ever experienced.

After I'd recovered from the fright I rationalized it away by telling myself that it was just because the pace of life is so different when you're in town from when you're out on the sea. But ever since that day, the feeling has never really left me that we're doing something wrong.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i did that once after a canal holiday when i was younger, spent 2 weeks doing a section of the cheshire ring and when we got off the boat we just could not face traffic!
people zooming around, it was like a different universe. we'd just spent two weeks ambling through countryside and locks, seeing birds and whatnot then found ourselves plonked in the middle of this speedy horror.

must be what the victorians felt when they first saw trains..

TaTanka

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
Longest for me was 2 weeks. It's been a long time since I've been able to go out for anything more than just a weekend. Last time was a full week spent up in the Rockies in January.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
in a tent, in a field, 8 weeks whle doing archeaology in Dorset, but the pub was near... 3 nights is the longest with a bivi bag etc.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
John O'Groats to Lands End when I was 30.
52 days, of which 48 spent walking, just over 1000miles sleeping in barns, hedges and old crofters cottages ( in the highlands ) Just a tarp ( didn't have much money, me and a mate, £5 a day between us, wax cotton Belstaff jackets! )
Grew beards, lost weight, saw our own country, had fun.
My best.
Chris.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
John O'Groats to Lands End when I was 30.
52 days, of which 48 spent walking, just over 1000miles sleeping in barns, hedges and old crofters cottages ( in the highlands ) Just a tarp ( didn't have much money, me and a mate, £5 a day between us, wax cotton Belstaff jackets! )
Grew beards, lost weight, saw our own country, had fun.
My best.
Chris.

Sounds like great fun.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Sure was Jon!
Followed it up a couple of years later with Wainwrights ' Coast to Coast' with a pack on my back again.
Had the sense of adding the width to the lenght!
.. Just got to go around the coastline now!
Cheers.
Chris.

F

fiskman6666

in a tent, in a field, 8 weeks whle doing archeaology in Dorset, but the pub was near... 3 nights is the longest with a bivi bag etc.

twelve nights down in dorset ,chapmans pool area fishing ,getting cut off by tides and just fishing and living it ,small tent,meths primus and cooked what i caught or found on the beach ,great stuff but at 25 it was always going to be anyway .Caught merry hell from mum and g/f tho when i finally decided to go home lol.
Dave

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Years ago I read about a trapper who lived somewhere in the barren lands in NWT in the 50's who never saw another person for 11 months of the year,
and it was figured that he was the only person in about a 10,000 square kilometer area for most of that time....and he remarkably remained sane...

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Great stuff!

Whether walking the hills and glens, out on "fishing trips", nosing around our ancient archaeology or just mooching about with no real purpose in mind, I've walked near enough the whole of Scotland.

I went to the sea as a boy and then into the oilfields, so have done a lot of travelling internationally. The oilfields gave me the luxury of unrealistic amounts of cash but the real Rat-Trap was working 4 weeks on and 4 off, which allowed me to go wherever and do whatever I felt like doing for 6 months of the year, which normally involved stravaiging in mountainous country somewhere on Mother Earth.

There is one delightful 3 months which is branded on my memory though. Aged about 21, I took a job with a crowd contracting to the Forestry Commission near Aberfeldy. They were a rather scary looking bunch of misfits but they were all good lads who'd have taken the shirts off their backs to give me.

They lived in an array of caravans, a camper and one lad who was about 6'2" slept in a Fiat 126, which the other lads called "The Hen Hut"! I lived for most of that time in my wee Force Ten tent at a variety of stunning locations.

At 6' 0" tall, I was the shortest. They called me The Poison Dwarf, as apparently I had a short-arses bad attitude!

The problems arose when I went home to my parents for a weekend and my dad started interrogating me as to what I was doing. I told him as much as I thought was wise but all that did was arouse his curiosity even further. My job was to hook up cut timber to the chains and drag it down the hill to a stacking point where it was loaded onto trucks. It was the answer to "Drag it with what?", that did the damage... "A horse, dad!" (Although I was never sure whether the horse, Dobbin The C#nt, handled me or I handled him. At 5 pm on the dot he would stop and refuse to move until I unchained his load, at which he'd canter straight to his horse-box.)
My dad leapt straight from "horse" to "Show me your Forestry Commission pay-lines!"

I'll never lose the image of my dad sitting with his head in his hands saying...
"Ye'll be happy now. Ye'r a bliddy Wid Tink!" :lmao:
(A Wood Tinker - an itinerant forestry worker)

Last edited:

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
14 years old, one week in lake district on my own.......

Hitch hiking, pup tent that didnt know how to erect, tried to pretend I was 16!

Felt like thrity years!

Got wet, (Limefit Park!) wimped out caught a train to my aunties in Warrington was in 1973.

When I was 17yrs old hitch hicked around all of Ireland wearing a 3 piece suit, a tan flasher mac and a small suitcase..... smashing!

My eldest daughter will be 14 in April next year..... Would I allow her to do it.............. You must be joking!

She got an even bigger adventure coming, Boarding school!

Alan L.

Last edited:

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Great stuff!

Whether walking the hills and glens, out on "fishing trips", nosing around our ancient archaeology or just mooching about with no real purpose in mind, I've walked near enough the whole of Scotland.

I went to the sea as a boy and then into the oilfields, so have done a lot of travelling internationally. The oilfields gave me the luxury of unrealistic amounts of cash but the real Rat-Trap was working 4 weeks on and 4 off, which allowed me to go wherever and do whatever I felt like doing for 6 months of the year, which normally involved stravaiging in mountainous country somewhere on Mother Earth.

There is one delightful 3 months which is branded on my memory though. Aged about 21, I took a job with a crowd contracting to the Forestry Commission near Aberfeldy. They were a rather scary looking bunch of misfits but they were all good lads who'd have taken the shirts off their backs to give me.

They lived in an array of caravans, a camper and one lad who was about 6'2" slept in a Fiat 126, which the other lads called "The Hen Hut"! I lived for most of that time in my wee Force Ten tent at a variety of stunning locations.

At 6' 0" tall, I was the shortest. They called me The Poison Dwarf, as apparently I had a short-arses bad attitude!

The problems arose when I went home to my parents for a weekend and my dad started interrogating me as to what I was doing. I told him as much as I thought was wise but all that did was arouse his curiosity even further. My job was to hook up cut timber to the chains and drag it down the hill to a stacking point where it was loaded onto trucks. It was the answer to "Drag it with what?", that did the damage... "A horse, dad!" (Although I was never sure whether the horse, Dobbin The C#nt, handled me or I handled him. At 5 pm on the dot he would stop and refuse to move until I unchained his load, at which he'd canter straight to his horse-box.)
My dad leapt straight from "horse" to "Show me your Forestry Commission pay-lines!"

I'll never lose the image of my dad sitting with his head in his hands saying...
"Ye'll be happy now. Ye'r a bliddy Wid Tink!" :lmao:
(A Wood Tinker - an itinerant forestry worker)

longest time spent in a tent was 1.5 months whilst in the andes. god i hated that thing by the end of it. longest trek ive been on is a good couple of months without a break. longest time spent backpacking was

n277701121_1179751_3265.jpg

Last edited:

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
2.5 weeks through the Pyrenees is my longest. A combination of camping and mountain refuges/huts. Fantastic time. At the end of the walk we were in a Spanish town called Benasque. On the evening we went to town, got drunk and decided Portugal was our next stop!

From NE Spain to Lisbon takes 27 hours by coach. This is a long time when one of your Goretex boots gets filled with rainwater...

Aaahh, Halogen days...

Jay

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE