2011 bcuk Arctic Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We'll be announcing the dates and details of the 2011 Arctic Exped soon so I thought i'd let people have a taster of what it's like :D

[video=youtube;Vs8YRyrQ1Bc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs8YRyrQ1Bc[/video]

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I did last years trip and for the money its well worth it, it was oversubscribed though which meant a lot of rushing around and maybe not enough one on one tuition, but that aside, just to see the northern lights and go dog sledging in the arctic night with the stars out above, well that alone was well worth the money, and the staff where easy going and good fun. if you get a chance go for it, but just remember that bushcraft expeditions arent exactly making a fortune out of this, so dont expect your own lavvu with en suite....

Col...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Don't want to be a pain , but providing the numbers are there to run it , Is this also planned to run early 2012??

Cheers

TD

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
I did last years trip and for the money its well worth it, it was oversubscribed though which meant a lot of rushing around and maybe not enough one on one tuition, but that aside, just to see the northern lights and go dog sledging in the arctic night with the stars out above, well that alone was well worth the money, and the staff where easy going and good fun. if you get a chance go for it, but just remember that bushcraft expeditions arent exactly making a fortune out of this, so dont expect your own lavvu with en suite....

Col...

Dont expect your own lavvu.......LOL

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I would do this trip again in a heartbeat!
And considering the cost this maybe one of the few ways that most of us on fairly modest means, can take a trip of a lifetime.
( I may start saving my pennies all over again! )
My best.
Chris.

Nick93

Dec 27, 2009
Devon, England
Are these expeditions done regularly? And is there an age requirement. Im nearly 17 but I wouldnt be able to go on this exp. anyway, I have to pay for car insurance and lessons this year D:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
These Arctic ones are planned to be yearly and we've a number of others that we want to introduce and so we'll have Expeds and courses on a regular basis. As for age I'm afraid it's 18+ unless accompanied by a parent or legal guardian and then it can be 17.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I would do this trip again in a heartbeat!
And considering the cost this maybe one of the few ways that most of us on fairly modest means, can take a trip of a lifetime.
( I may start saving my pennies all over again! )
My best.
Chris.

You've hit it on the head there Chris, the whole point of these is that it gives people the opportunity to have an excellent experience, or as you say 'a trip of a lifetime' without the huge cost, it makes going on an expedition possible and worthwhile goodjob

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I'm watching this with interest.

I wanted to do it last year but couldn't quite raise the finances.

Things look better this year but I'm just hoping it falls across the school holidays again.

Me too, though it was an imminent death in the family that had me keeping all spare time free, for matters domestic rather than expeditions abroad.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Hi guys.

Haven't got time to write a full review/account of this trip - but i went on it last year and it was absolutely brilliant!!!!

As a result of this trip, I am now training to be a wilderness guide myself - thats how much i liked it :D :D :D :D

Ridiculously cheap for the quality and variety of instruction!! And the guys at Bushcraft Expeditions weren't bad either ;)

Just go...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm holding out till 2012 http://wikitravel.org/en/Northern_Lights

In the longer term, auroral displays are correlated with an 11-year cycle in sunspot activity and other perturbations of the sun; the more restless the sun, the more aurorae. Unfortunately, 2006-7 corresponds to a minimum in solar activity, and therefore the number of Northern Lights-lit nights. However, at the most favorable latitudes, the Lights are still likely to be seen even at solar minimum; it's mainly at lower latitudes that they get scarce during the inactive times. The next maximum in solar activity will be in about 2012, with frequent Northern Lights displays likely for another two or three years after that, so you have plenty of time to plan a trip.

Jun 27, 2010
tyne and wear
hi tony,
i am still very interested in this 2011 trip. will have possibly 2/3 people interested in this. Let me know when to sign up - don't want to miss it!!!!
thank you

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
I was one of the fortunate few to go in Feb of this year....
For anyone thinking about it, don't think....seriously.....if you can...go, you will never ever be lost for something to talk about again.....

As my missus keeps telling me as I watch those wimps on 71 degrees North.....wusses......

I might even see you there :rolleyes:

I've sent a couple of short video's and a shed load of pictures to Bushcraft Expeditions, so their should be no shortage of visuals.....
If their is anyone who would like to see more PM me and I'll post some pics.....

Tom

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
...A few tips, if I my offer them!
NO TIGHT BOOTS!! Make sure that you have plenty of wiggle room and that they are wide enough for those thick, extra socks.
Bring the warmest bag you can.
Bring chili sauce, piri-piri, Tabasco, friut teas , plenty of chocolate and a whole salami.
Grow beards ( you too ladies! )
C da C.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
I will have to miss 2011, ( lost my job, losing my wife! )
However, I have started saving my pennies for 2012.
Chris.

Sorry to hear that CDC, hope your fortunes steer you to better days ahead.

...A few tips, if I my offer them!
NO TIGHT BOOTS!! Make sure that you have plenty of wiggle room and that they are wide enough for those thick, extra socks.
Bring the warmest bag you can.
Bring chili sauce, piri-piri, Tabasco, friut teas , plenty of chocolate and a whole salami.
Grow beards ( you too ladies! )
C da C.

We all put together a list of things to consider for the 2010 course most of which can be found in the thread you are reading and also this thread

Cheers
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE