Traser H3 not waterproof!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Hi all,

Back in May i bought a Traser H3 watch, which has performed brilliantly until this holiday :yikes:

I went swimming in the sea, just off the Gower (Wales), got back to the beach to see the watch face had misted up on the inside. I have not changed the battery and it has been waterproof up until this point.

It has been sat on the radiator for days now, but still mists up & i don't want to take the back off until i hear back from the manufacturer; i have emailed them to ask for their advice.

Anyone else had any problems with this watch/brand?

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Try applying a cube of ice to the glass to cause condensation inside the glass to get an idea of the size of the problem. It won't fix it but it brings all the water to one place.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
When you've done what Graham suggests, go to a shop selling yachting equipment and ask for Capt. Tolley's "Creeping Crack Cure".It is a liquid rubber solution used for stopping small leaks round window joins, or where fittings are screwed down. Put one drip on the backplate/watch body join and leave it for a while. The solution will form a watertight seal. Works on my ancient Casio when I change the battery. Worth doing if you're you're committed to fixing it yourself rather than through the dealer...:)

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
Mine mists up occasionally on the inside, Usually when going from differing temperatures,
It clears itself by the time i have to look at it again, I have had the battery changed and it re-pressurised

Then again it is 7 Years old and has had some serious abuse.

Take the back off and leave it to dry out, then make sure the seal is intact and replace the back, if you have an airing cupboard do it in there so there will be no chance of moisture in the air

the UK traser watchsmith is not far from me very helpfull guy

i have flooded mine as a scuba diver but it was because i didnt properly screw the side wheel back in after changing the Date (needs doing each month etc)
Had to change out the whole mech but they are pressure tested etc to check seals etc ( £27 was a few years back )
other than that iee taken mine many times to 40m (5 bar)

ATB

Duncan

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Thanks for the tips :)

Duncan, you say screw the date/time adjuster in? Mine just clicks into place, then turns freely, is this what you mean?

Am i right in thinking that if i take the back off, i need to get it re-pressurized?

You gotta love Captain Tolleys :) i got some years ago to fix a leaking windscreen on my Reliant Scimitar!

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
Its recommended but i was told next time that unless i was going to carry on using it at altitude have it pressurised (and i should assume under diving pressure it would be the same advise) if not then it did not require doing, just the seals checking and back screwing down tightly. (total cost of new battery and pressure test was £55 if i recall (but dont quote me i may have had something else done as well)) A new battery alone was £2 posted from the net

My date adjuster spins freely but when you pull it out it engages a latch to allow the date / time to be adjusted, by pulling it it moves from the seal, by pushing it back in after adjustment it re engages the seal

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
Thanks for the tips :)

Duncan, you say screw the date/time adjuster in? Mine just clicks into place, then turns freely, is this what you mean?

Am i right in thinking that if i take the back off, i need to get it re-pressurized?

You gotta love Captain Tolleys :) i got some years ago to fix a leaking windscreen on my Reliant Scimitar!

Mate its should't spin once you have screwed it down shut. Mine dosn't move once its tightened.
It will have to be presssure teasted if you are going to use it for scuba diving.
I would send it to the watch smith to get it sorted. Peace of mind and all that.

Hi all,

Back in May i bought a Traser H3 watch, which has performed brilliantly until this holiday :yikes:

I went swimming in the sea, just off the Gower (Wales), got back to the beach to see the watch face had misted up on the inside. I have not changed the battery and it has been waterproof up until this point.

It has been sat on the radiator for days now, but still mists up & i don't want to take the back off until i hear back from the manufacturer; i have emailed them to ask for their advice.

Anyone else had any problems with this watch/brand?

thats the Guy Graham is a great guy and a propper time served trained watch/clock maker etc

the Trasers arnt pressurised but are pressure tested to ensure the seals are inplace after any work ie battery change etc
its done by puting the watch in a pressure vessle and measuring the deflection of the face glass as the pressure is increased
the most critical point is actually low presure ( 5m depth 0.5m bar area ) where the seals havent been compressed yet which helps ensure the seal

ATB

Duncan

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
As it turns out, it is Graham who has responded to my warranty query - seems like a good chap.

However Graham says that my watch: "P5900 is rated at 3ATM which is not suitable for swimming or water sports". How can something be advertised as being the military's choice & water resistant to 100m not be suitable for swimming. SWIMMING! not scuba or even snorkeling! :yikes:

Graham has kindly offered to examine the watch to see if it's defective, then presumably fix it, but at what cost? Ho-hum

As it turns out, it is Graham who has responded to my warranty query - seems like a good chap.

However Graham says that my watch: "P5900 is rated at 3ATM which is not suitable for swimming or water sports". How can something be advertised as being the military's choice & water resistant to 100m not be suitable for swimming. SWIMMING! not scuba or even snorkeling! :yikes:

Graham has kindly offered to examine the watch to see if it's defective, then presumably fix it, but at what cost? Ho-hum

well 3 atm is 20m but i would only take a 200m rated watch in the water as i said the first few meters are actually the worst for lettin water in as the seals haven got enough pressure to be compressed but theres enough water pressure to push past its also the quickest rate of change of pressure as well surface to 10 m your doubling the pressure ie 1 atm to 2 atm to do that atain you have to go to 30m ie 2 atm to 4 atm

Graham will sort it hopfully not to much as well as i said mine was a full change of the internals for £30 ish but was a few years ago

ATB

Duncan

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Trunks.

Not only is your watch not living up to the claimed water proofness, but goodness knows how they get away with calling it the military's choice either! lol

But saying that, MWC (the military watch company) also spout a load of nonsense about their watches being military issue too.

At the price you must have paid for your watch, I think I am lucky I only have a cheapy Pulsar issue watch :)

Trunks.

Not only is your watch not living up to the claimed water proofness, but goodness knows how they get away with calling it the military's choice either! lol

But saying that, MWC (the military watch company) also spout a load of nonsense about their watches being military issue too.

At the price you must have paid for your watch, I think I am lucky I only have a cheapy Pulsar issue watch :)

note its water resistant not water proof and pretty much most of the military dont go underwater so have little need for a dive watch just something thats generally rain proof (probably better dust proof given the last 20 yrs deployments)

as said if its not 200m rated dont take it in the water

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
All fair points Duncan, but next time i'll check the small print.

When something says 3atm/30metres water resistant, as a punter, you are led to believe it will resist water upto a depth of 30 meters - as in below water.

To discover after parting good money that it is not really up to being submerged is a little annoying.

Most likely, i will send it to Graham to be serviced, & sell it on ebay. Then look for something rated to 200m & read the spec more carefully.

Thanks again

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE