Should there be a UK Sea Angling license

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Are there valid reasons for a UK sea angling license

• Yes

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • No

Votes: 187 88.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Couldn't care less it won't affect me

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A license/Tax Should be for services rendered by the government. If used to replenish stocks and such then then I dont mind paying for a license. But more than likely the money would be spent only to enforce the license and the exess would be lost to other expences. So I would then say NO.

Absolutely. I would be unwilling to pay for restocking, when the fish are then taken for profit by spanish fishing boats.

Inland waters are stocked, and the fish stay in our waters.

If the licence money were to be split down further, we would end up paying more/getting a worse service, or both.

The EA will never be able to enforce it anyway, over the thousands of miles of British coastline.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
A bit lik the government talking about licencing dogs... Didn't we have dog licences, all thos years ago? How many dogs were actually licenced anyway?

Only if River/Shore Baillifs regulate such a law, will it be observed in any meaningful way.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
There is a far greater case for policing waters to ensure the stocks are not destroyed by illegal trawling - try catching cod in South Wales these days, I wonder why the phrase "the cod are in" has been removed from the local vocabulary!
Of course the PTB will tell you that any revenue generated will be used to do just that, in the same way that your road tax is used to repair potholes!
ATB
Dave

Jul 24, 2010
Berlin
To think I'd ever need a silly governmental piece of paper for my preferred type of sea fishing puts my head in a bad place.

I voted no from the perspective of someone who wants to do a bit of recreational fishing from time to time and take home a few for the pot.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
that would crazy ... the sea should be free , it's bad enough that we cant get on to most Scottish rivers without gettin ripped of by a permit ,

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I haven't read every post but think this proposal has been dropped. The reason for that is more than likely to do with Westminster and Whitehall's conveniently persistent belief that English Law constitutes UK Law. Most of the Scottish coastline is still owned by the Church of Scotland and Scots Law prevents access charges and exclusion of the public.

It has long been argued that enclosed MOD lands which encompass beaches is illegal under Scots Law. I'm no legal mind, but I can say there have been very few attempts by the MOD to prosecute short of criminal damage.

I seriously doubt that sea fishing licenses would be legal in Scotland and legislating for it would be enormously complex, costly... and ignored!

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Thread was started in 06-08-2007 22:24

You might not have noticed, Angus, but we've just arrived back at a point where all means by which to screw the British Public are being considered and will be implemented in the name of political dogma and Private Enterprise, and in the interests and pursuit of profit, fair or foul.

You'd better kiss goodbye to many of the advances made over the last decade or so, like free and open access to the countryside and a right of passage on all Scottish waterways, and be prepared for what is cynically termed de-regulation... that means motorway tolls, green taxes, ticket machines and turnstyles wherever there's a buck to be extorted!

If you thought civil liberties were at risk under the last Gov't, just wait til you find out what "Big Society" means!

Last edited:
May 6, 2010
uk
www.coastalsurvival.com
I will buy a rod license when the use of domestic chemical based product (such a blue blocks in toilets and the endless cleaning products) are banned from being empted into the ocean and rivers.

if your unsure of your cleaning products potential to kill every thing for miles around the sewerage outfalls (located a mile off shore) put them in the watering can and try it on your lawns!

Fraser - Coastal Survival School
www.coastalsurvival.com

Tracyann

Oct 6, 2010
Scotland
I certainly do not think anyone should have to pay for a licence for sea fishing, I do however want a mile from shore commercial fishing ban and that includes trawlers, netting and pots. after doing this out in countries such as new zealand they have noticed after a couple of years, due to the fish having safe areas to breed they have more fish, crabs, lobsters etc
besides, where I am it happens too often and you do notice it, when you go out diving you can see the bottom where it is just devastated try and pick a few scallops from nothing is impossible.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
As some American guy said on a youtube clip of Ray Mears, which flashed up a warning that you need to seek permission to light a fire in the woods "You guys in the UK need a permit to take a leak."

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
well the poll says are their valid reaons for a license... of course there is... should it exist... that depends on whom it affects, fishing for recreation and fishing for business are two different things

Hazmat

Feb 14, 2011
Coningsby, Lincolnshire
I can't:_
Shoot my bow on open ground (bylaws),
Light an open fire (pollution and laws)
Fish in rivers without a license (despite foreigners hand lining Pike in the Ditches and Drains),
Camp where I want to in National Parks (bylaws)
Trap rabbit without someone moaning (and my wife makes a lovely rabbit pie)
and cut my grass as my mower is too loud (environmental health)! ! ! !

I'm happy shore fishing, on my own, no interference from idiot officials,
no license necessary, a danger only to myself and the fish (and yes I only keep what I can eat)
and you're asking if it should be licensed?

WHY NOT! BRILLIANT IDEA! Everything else is regulated in someway but . . . . . .
Could you please license breathing and breeding first.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I can't:_
Shoot my bow on open ground (bylaws),
Light an open fire (pollution and laws)
Fish in rivers without a license (despite foreigners hand lining Pike in the Ditches and Drains),
Camp where I want to in National Parks (bylaws)
Trap rabbit without someone moaning (and my wife makes a lovely rabbit pie)
and cut my grass as my mower is too loud (environmental health)! ! ! !

I'm happy shore fishing, on my own, no interference from idiot officials,
no license necessary, a danger only to myself and the fish (and yes I only keep what I can eat)
and you're asking if it should be licensed?

WHY NOT! BRILLIANT IDEA! Everything else is regulated in someway but . . . . . .
Could you please license breathing and breeding first.

Liscencing breeding!
Now there is a good idea :)
First prove you are a responsible Adult, prove you have a secure place to store the results of breeding so that they are not a "hazzard of nuisance" to others (including noise pollution). Pre licence training should be obligatory and you should be obliged to throw back all you cannot cope with yourself!
This idea has merit!
:D

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!

they havn't enough freshwater baliffs never mind coastal ,too many baliffs would be having triping accidents into the sea.for gods sake let us have a little bit of freedom !

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE