Vulture takes off to 30,000ft, threat to aircraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
some people really pee me off with their stupid comments... eg.
"What is a magnificent bird like that doing in captivity anyway??...
Im glad its got its freedom but after a lifetime of being treated like a fairground freak it may not survive out there."

why do you think? because it is all but extinct in the wild and is part of a breeding program to save the species!
some people..!

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Aye, those comments are funny, from the english comments to the nature stuff.

I heard about it in the morning as the Hawker was using his Harris Hawk, bootiful bird, was finishing up scaring off the seagulls from my schools astroturf pitch. He was then off to Holyrood for scaring off pigeons.

The hawk had a radio beacon on, just in case.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
i like the one where a bloke says it had better not land on a shooting estate because all 'hookbeaks' get shot which is completely legal apparently

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
I'd judge the aircraft to be more of a hazard to it than vice versa. :lol:

If that thing got to half the 6.8 mile elevation they claim it can reach, I'd eat my socks!

36000 feet my backside!

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I'd judge the aircraft to be more of a hazard to it than vice versa. :lol:

If that thing got to half the 6.8 mile elevation they claim it can reach, I'd eat my socks!

36000 feet my backside!

Several other bird species regularly brave extreme altitudes. Among them are whooper swans, which were once observed by a pilot at 27,000 feet over the Atlantic Ocean between Iceland and the European continent, and bar-tailed godwits, which have been spotted at almost 20,000 feet. And then there's the occasional hardy individual that makes a high-altitude cameo.

The highest-flying bird ever recorded was a Ruppell's griffon, a vulture with a wingspan of about 10 feet; on November 29, 1975, a Ruppell's griffon was sucked into a jet engine 37,900 feet above the Ivory Coast--more than a mile and a half higher than the summit of Mount Everest. The plane was damaged, though it landed safely.

In 1924 a yellow-billed chough, a crowlike bird that's among the highest-nesting species, followed a climbing expedition's food scraps to 26,500 feet on Everest. The avian altitude record in North America is held by a mallard, which collided with an airplane on July 9, 1963, at 21,000 feet above Elko, Nevada.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
The highest-flying bird ever recorded was a Ruppell's griffon, a vulture with a wingspan of about 10 feet; on November 29, 1975, a Ruppell's griffon was sucked into a jet engine 37,900 feet above the Ivory Coast--more than a mile and a half higher than the summit of Mount Everest. The plane was damaged, though it landed safely.

Validates Mojo's first point though ;)

trixx

Jul 14, 2010
Scotland
It's been sat in a cage, I very much doubt if it's at peak fitness. Probably be gasping by the time it reaches treetop level.

In their haste to fill column inches at a slack time of year, they appear to have missed the point that aircraft (and birds) start and finish their flights at ground level, so birds are a potential threat to every aircraft on every flight. An easy way to fill the paper though: "Flock of woodpigeons takes off: threat to aircraft" .... "Flock of woodpigeons lands, danger over... oops, there goes a mallard, pilots warned to be on high alert..."

Good example of whipping up hysteria though. I loved this bit:

She has no fear of humans and she could give someone a very severe bite - her beak is designed to tear flesh apart...We would warn people not to approach her but to call the police.

Brilliant advice. Unless the PC in question has been on an Advanced Vulture Handling Course, the poor bird will end up pepper-sprayed, tasered, cuffed and chucked in the back of a van. :lmao:

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Unless the PC in question has been on an Advanced Vulture Handling Course, the poor bird will end up pepper-sprayed, tasered, cuffed and chucked in the back of a van. :lmao:

Now that was funny! :rofl:

As my Auld Man used to say, "Thank chrst coos can't fly!"

trixx

Jul 14, 2010
Scotland
Was it ok?

Apparently so.

World of Wings director David Ritchie said Gandolph had lost weight and appeared not to have slept, but was otherwise unhurt by her adventures.

Mr Ritchie said: "I got a phone call from a member of the public, who works as a vet. "She said she had spent time in Africa and was 99% certain she was looking at a Ruppell's Griffon vulture."

The vulture had apparently landed on Friday night, but it took 3 days before someone with experience of African wildlife managed to pick it out among all the other big ugly birds wandering around Falkirk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE