Mackeral

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
A friendly friend dropped a couple of mackies this evening from a day out on his boat(lucky bugger), I would normaly just fillet and fry in butter with salt and a little pepper, but what do you guys do with your tastey little macks?

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
chuck em in the bin mate......there's not an "r" in the month and they might have swam by a shellfish.
Kidding really. I fillet and grill mine ;)

trixx

Jul 14, 2010
Scotland
Fillet them in the normal way. Then cut each fillet in half lengthwise, passing the knife just to one side of the small row of pin bones in the centreline of the fillet. Take the half with the pin bones, and cut just on the side of them to leave 2 boneless goujons and a very thin sliver containing all the bones. Discard the sliver, or feed it to the dog.

Shallow fry the fillets in garlic olive oil, a minute or so per side. As a variation, try adding some balsamic vinegar or bbq sauce to the pan. Balsamic vinegar goes well with mackerel, cuts through the slight oiliness and contrasts well.

That's how I mostly prepare mine these days. The boneless goujons cook faster than a full fillet and also go down better with those fussy about fish bones.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I like them as they are and think they are one of the best tasting fish in the sea but have also done them in a few other ways.

Soused Mackerel - baked in vinegar with some tomato puree, couple of bay leaves and a bit of fresh chilli. Leave to cool and eat cold.

Smoked - self explanatory

Gooseberry sauce is a great partner for it because, as trixx said, something sharp is needed to cut through the oiliness.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Leave them whole, stuff the belly cavity with fennel, spring onions and whole pepper corms. wrap in tinfoil, with some wine poured in, then sealed bake in the oven till cooked, sprinkle with grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano, allow to melt, eat with a green salad. unbeatable!!! :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I do them on the BBQ.
I take some tinfoil, lay some 1/4" slices of lemon on the foil, place the fillets on the lemon, season with salt and pepper, close up the foil, then place lemon side down on the grill.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
They are just nice filleted, grilled with butter and crushed black pepper on some horseradish mash.

sprinkle 4 good fillets with curry powder or garam massala (pretty much the same thing) shallow fry, cool, flake and add with a sprinkle of sultanas and some diced peeled apple with a dollop of helmans mayo, rest for 20...

serve on green salad or slap between some fresh baked bread with wild rocket.

or, if you are catching them fillet, skin, soy, wassabi, pickled ginger... ocean to gob in under two mins!

Last edited:

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Fillet them in the normal way. Then cut each fillet in half lengthwise, passing the knife just to one side of the small row of pin bones in the centreline of the fillet. Take the half with the pin bones, and cut just on the side of them to leave 2 boneless goujons and a very thin sliver containing all the bones. Discard the sliver, or feed it to the dog.

Shallow fry the fillets in garlic olive oil, a minute or so per side. As a variation, try adding some balsamic vinegar or bbq sauce to the pan. Balsamic vinegar goes well with mackerel, cuts through the slight oiliness and contrasts well.

That's how I mostly prepare mine these days. The boneless goujons cook faster than a full fillet and also go down better with those fussy about fish bones.

Thats how I prep mine too, but I usually grill them skin side down on a bit of tin foil and sprinkle the flesh side with chili flakes or something.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Fresh, I just fry them in butter and eat with a squeeze of lemon.
If I'm desperate and buy them from a shop, then I might stuff them with orange and walnut stuffing. Extremely delicious....

Gut the fish as usual. Salt and pepper the cavity.
I do quantities by estimate now, but the original recipe (for four fish) was:
2oz butter
3 oz bread crumbs
1 onion
1 oz chopped walnuts
peel(finely grated or zested) and juice of 1 orange

Melt the butter, stir in the breadcrumbs, onion, orange peel. Put the fish in a buttered shallow dish. Pour orange juice over them, then put the stuffing in the cavities, with left over stuffing just going over the top. Bake uncovered at 350F, gas4 for 20-30 mins until fish are cooked.

Aug 19, 2010
Leeds
Cut fish into thin slices, mix together olive oil, chillies, minced garlic, salt, pepper and lime juice....
Leave in the fridge for a couple of hours....!
Serve with a bit of rocket

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE