Lighter binoculars

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sgw1

Aug 16, 2010
Yorkshire
I am making efforts to reduce my pack weight and am currently thinking of changing my binoculars. I always take them when I go out and would feel half blinded if I didn't have any with me.

I initially took them for bird/wildlife watching but have found them an indispensable aid for path finding on the high open moors I usually visit.

My current favourites are a pair of Nikon Monarchs at 600gms. I don't get on with the double hinge compacts at all and have a budget of around £100.

I am considering a pair of Travelites at 355 gms. This is a worthwhile weight saving but I am not too happy about the 25mm objectives in comparison with the 36mm of the Monarchs.

Has anyone any suggestions for a pair of waterproof bins with at least 36mm objectives, lighter than 500gms that have proved to be up to the rigours of backpacking. Decent multi coatings a must, phase correction a bonus.

Obviously my budget will not stretch to magnesium, carbon exotica.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... thinking of changing my binoculars ... don't get on with the double hinge compacts ... budget of around £100 ... considering a pair of Travelites ... not too happy about the 25mm objectives in comparison with the 36mm ...

For binoculars you're up against it with your budget. I know what you mean about the double hinged compacts, I've got three or four of them and none of them are really much use but I use them e.g. in the kitchen to look at the bird feeders if the light's good or in the car to check out distant road signs, traffic jams and suchlike. I had to dismantle the hinges on one pair as the two halves didn't even point in the same direction when new. You're right to avoid 25mm if you're going to use them in poor light (i.e. in the UK most of the time:(). Personally I'd consider the extra 150g well worth it for twice the light.

Have you considered a monocular? Something like this weighs only 300g and ticks most of your boxes, if you could find something similar second hand from a reputable supplier it might be your answer.

sgw1

Aug 16, 2010
Yorkshire
Have you considered a monocular? Something like this weighs only 300g and ticks most of your boxes, if you could find something similar second hand from a reputable supplier it might be your answer.

Great idea. excellent weight and size saving with the added durability of simpler build.

I had dismissed monoculars a long time ago and had not reconsidered them since. But I wasn't so weight conscious then. The one you linked looks good and I will investigate further. I can't believe I didn't think of the obvious...duh

Thanks.

edit...

Some nice ones here:-

http://www.telescopes-binoculars.co.uk/acatalog/Monoculars.html

I quite fancy the Opticron Mono. I already have an Optiron scope and bins and have always been pleased with them. I like the idea of the Opticron Gallery scope but unfortunatly not gas filled.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE