Sleeping bag compression sac

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
I've just returned from a successful (if soggy!) few days out trying out new kit. One of the success stories was my new Snugpak 'The Sleeping Bag'

http://www.oswaldbailey.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=product&wce=52430101&desc=SNUGPAK+SLEEPING+BAG

The bag is great! unfortunately the compression sac isn't! it's already started to split so I was wondering if anyone has come across any replacement sacs that might prove to be more hard wearing and possibly waterproof too?

Thanks in advance

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
When I was carrying my load (rather than paddling with it) I used to get rid of the stuff sac and just squash the bag down inside my pack. I used a full pack liner though so it wasn't going to get wet. It gets rid of that awkward lumpy shape and lets you pack more gear in believe it or not. Give it a try if you've got a pack liner and see what you think.

If you're after a decent replacement bag though have a look at Alpkits stuff, although I don't have this one in particular, I have got plenty of their stuff sacks and dry bags which are all well made.

sgw1

Aug 16, 2010
Yorkshire
Wow... I am surprised that you split a Snugpak compression sack. Perhaps they vary across the range. Is it like this?:-

http://shop.packyourbags.com/acatalog/SNUGPAK_COMPRESSION_BAGS.html

The one that came with my Softie Elite 3 could compress concrete. It's heavy and bulky though so I usually do as Rich suggests and stuff the bag in the bottom of my dry bag rucksack (Alpkit Stealthy Gourdon) or in a bin liner at the bottom of my Karrimore.

I would also highly recommend Alpkit gear but wasn't aware they did compression sacks. The one linked to by Rich looks similar to the Snugpak one I have.

Last edited:

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi
The Alpkit stuff is good..I'v got a few of their drybags
If you are looking for a waterproof compression bag then try the 'Sea to Summit eVENT Compression Drysack' which works very well with a down bag but are a bit pricey [the one i'v got was about £11]
If you just want a compression bag then I'v got a alpkit one for the pipedream 800 which your more than welcome to have if you think it is suitabe..just PM me your address and i'll pop it in the post
Regards
Stu

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Same what Rich said: use a rucksack liner (big waterproof bag; I've used my bivvy bag on occassion) and stuff the sleeping (and all you other kit) in this liner. It makes your sleeping bag goes in all those little corners, making use of all available space in your pack.

Alternatively I've seen waterproof stuff bags (a waterproof bag & stuff bag in one) with the dutch importer for Eureka. Didn't get one as he didn't want to sell to consumers directly ...

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
It's worth looking at Exped stuff.
They make a dry bag with a valve for removing air.
This means you can compress the bag without straps, and it remains malleable.
The bag can be conformed to the inside of your rucksack, which saves space.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
What I have started doing is using those vacuum bags. Just stick them on a hoover at the beginning of the exped, and they go as plat as a pancake, when you are out in the bush, you can just sit on them, and you get almost as good a result!

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Slasha9 I do the same as Ph34r but with the normal vacuum bags. If you PM your address I'm sure I have one spare you can have foc (just let me have it back if its not what you want). I work in Walsall so its no trouble dropping it through your letterbox.
Alan

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi
The Alpkit stuff is good..I'v got a few of their drybags
If you are looking for a waterproof compression bag then try the 'Sea to Summit eVENT Compression Drysack' which works very well with a down bag but are a bit pricey [the one i'v got was about £11]

I've got a couple of those too but I found with a sleeping bag inside they just inflated again as the bag expanded.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
WOW! thanks for all the kind offers guys! certainly some more inventive ideas that I could have come up with! I've got a few of those vacuum bags around the place somewhere so I think that I will give that a go and see if that does the trick! I reckon that with my bodyweight on it I will be able to squeeze out more air in the woods than the vacuum cleaner can mange in the house!

Cheers again

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Can I just say that event compression sacks or even the sil-nylon one with event end panel allows the air out when in your bag? Event is air permeable which means that you seal it in the drybag then stuff it to the bottom of your sack. The weight of stuff on top will compress it further but it can take up any airspaces. Eliminating the empty space you get with a collection of cylindrical, highly compressed sacks and dry bags. Even with one large dry bag rucksack liner you xan end up with wasted space in your sack. I know because before my gear became more compact due to essential kit replaements I had problem fitting everythying in my bag. I became a past master at utilising all the space available. I preferred to not use on big line bag.

I use a alpkit gourdon 20 litre asa day sack. I've had it at least 18 months and still good to go. The closure strap no longer forms a round dry bag type seal as the strap stiffener material is now snapped in two or more places.

machifu

Banned
Jan 19, 2010
somewhere
Wow, you are absolutely the first one i heard of who got interested in "the sleeping bag' Could you elaborate on the bag, please? People usually say hurrray! to Snugpak, but nah to 'the sleeping bag' or 'the navigator'. Maybe i was wrong all this time and its worth to buy one of these...

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
Can't fault the sleeping bag at all! I had been looking to get a Snugpak bag but was put off by the price, so on a trip to Oswald Baileys ( no connection yadda yadda) they were on offer with a free pillow so I indulged and got one. Took it out for two nights last week and it was great! first night was not too cold and dry, so I just used a ground sheet and a simple kip mat, was toasty warm. On the second night though things got a little interesting, I made a lean-to shelter rather than my usual tarp set up, then the heavens REALLY opened up for a few hours solid! My shelter proved only half water-proof and the ground I was lying on soon proved to be soaked too! My sleeping bag was inside my bivvi, I spent a lot of effort and time getting a decent fire going, only to discover that I had left my bivvi unzipped and that the bag was wet! ooops Well to be honest I was that tired I simply got in and went to sleep, oddly enough I was just as warm with a wet @r$e as I had been the previous night and I woke up the next morning all nice and dry, the bag was only slightly damp and dried out quickly when I hung it up at home. Overall I REALLY rated the bag, easily as comfortable and warm as my 58 pattern bag.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
If you're after a decent replacement bag though have a look at Alpkits stuff, although I don't have this one in particular, I have got plenty of their stuff sacks and dry bags which are all well made.

I have one very similar with my alpkits bag and it's genius. Even with my synthetic pillow it gets the size of my bag well smaller than my old bag.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I picked up an Ok compression sack from Blacks, reduced (in their clearance) down to £3.99 for a medium. They have the Blacks and Eurohike ones in the sale. Have to admit that I'd go for the Alpkit one - I love their stuff. But just noticed its out of stock...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE