Dumb question - What fuel do alcohol stoves run on?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crofter

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 3, 2004
UK
I've been looking at buying or making an alcohol tin can stove. Both American and English site refer to "alcohol" - which I presume is spirit alcohol that seems to be available in the US. None of the US sites mention meths.
The references on BCUK that I have found generally refer to alcohol but one has mentioned meths.
Am I right in presuming that alcohol stoves can take meths or is there some other form of alcohol available in the UK that I should use?

Ade

leon-1

In the UK we do indeed use methylated spirits in alcohol stoves, I think this is due to legislation in the UK ie, we cannot get pure ethanol in the UK (unless you are a research establishment or the like) so we have a mix of ethanol and methanol (normally about 5% methanol), which renders the ethanol poisonous.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
UN1170 methylated spirit is 90% ethanol, 3% methanol with traces of wood naptha and pyridine and the color comes from 1.5 ppm methyl violet.

A good trick to reduce sooting when using meths is to mix it with 10% water.

crofter

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 3, 2004
UK
Thanks Adi and Leon.
I thought that meths would be ok so I'll try it out with that.
Ade

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
I don't think so - in the UK car screenwash is usually detergent with a bit of alcohol in it, but it is designed to be diluted.

Am I right in thinking that what we in the UK call "methylated spirits" or "meths" is called "denatured alcohol" in the US?

Best wishes

Bruce

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I'd love to see a Trangia running on screenwash!

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
not screenwash you guys , the stuff you put in your petrol tank so you gas lines don't freeze due to condinsation. one of the brand names over here is "heet" , I checked it out and its meth. alchol based, but from what I could find the reports say it puts out slightly less btu's than straight denatured al.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
As a doctor I can order up to 3 litres of industrial methylated spirits, which is ethanol plus a bit of methanol and wood naptha - no dye, it is colourless.

There are loads of customs and excise rules about it though.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I wonder is if burns cleaner? Probably does because Methyl Violet is described in the Materials Safet Data Sheet as:

Fire:
Not considered to be a fire hazard.

Lower down:

Hazardous Decomposition Products:
May produce carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides and hydrogen chloride when heated to decomposition.

Hydrogen chloride isn't going to be good for the little burner.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Is that the La Hacienda stuff?

They also sell an own brand bio-ethanol. I can't find it online, but I did find it in my local store a couple of weeks back (by the bio-ethanol stoves not with the meths ~ which is where I looked first :eek: ). 2L for £5 iirc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE