Penny bun or Cottage loaf?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Spotted this today, on one of our regular routes:
P8160127.jpg

I think it was a penny bun

or maybe not?

more like a Loaf!
P8160130.jpg

P8160129.jpg

Sadly, it was way past its best, completely infested with maggots of numerous sizes, when opened up.

cheers

R.B.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I found 4 good ceps yesterday. I fried them in butter, garlic and pepper and scoffed the lot!

I also found a dotted stemmed bolete, a nasty looking red blushed, blue staining number. They say they're edible, but everything about them spells a warning to me.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm with you Pango. Found large numbers of Boletus erythropus - lots of red in stem, stains blue, looks disgusting. Apparently edible if cooked, but I make a rule not to eat any bolete that stains blue or red unless 100% sure, and I cant say with 100% certainty that those boletes aren't something nasty like B. satanus.

I left well alone. :nono: :)

rancid badger

This is supposed to be a Penny Bun (apparently?)
P9270011.jpg

P9270012.jpg

P9270013.jpg

This fungus:
P8160130.jpg

Was heavily soaked with rain water, it must have weighed about three pounds, the underside particularly was like a soaking wet sponge, so it was discoloured.

Frankly; I wouldn't attempt to eat either of these or any other wild fungi, I really don't see the point of playing "mushroom roulette":confused:

During our last fungal foray, here at Chopwell Wood, Gordon Simpson ( FC Mycologist) confirmed that the vast majority of the fungi found was inedible, harmful or actually lethal.
Maybe 2% was safe and not much of that really worth the bother to collect!

There were only two or three, from the spread here, that were safe to eat.We accounted for somewhere around 60 different species, in the 3 hours or so we were out.
PA110104.jpg

This is Gordon
PA110105.jpg

It's a fascinating subject and listening to Gordon, telling his "war stories" about various finds or poisoning incidents is particularly interesting but I'm happy to leave the gastronomy to others;)

R.B.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
First three shots definitely are Boletus Edulis, although not in the best of condition. I can never remember the proper name of that giant boletus, but whilst it's edible, it's not the greatest flavour... And there's a lot less of it once you remove the pores.

There's no "mushroom roulette" involved once you know what you're doing, and some of those fungi will cost you an absolute fortune in the shops, if you can find them at all. Boletus Edulis in particular is easy to identify, practically impossible to mistake for anything dangerous, fairly common, large enough that you can collect a substantial amount in a relatively short time, and absolutely delicious. Plus they keep practically indefinitely once dried... Really, what's not to like?

I find it very strange that many people seem perfectly happy about eating stuff out of hedgerows, but are terrified of mushrooms... There's plenty of green stuff that will kill you just as stone dead as a Death Cap, if you make a mistake. I'm not as well up on my wild greens, so a lot of it all looks the same to me, but I can tell an Agaric from a Boletus at 20 paces.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
"There are old mushroom hunters and there are Bold mushroom hunters. There are no old bold mushroom hunters"

I'd love to find some truely killer mushrooms, so far i reckon i've found Panther cap, they were older specimins though and had opened up with flat tops, they looked like little coffee tables ;) can't tell you how happy i was to see em :D

rancid badger

"There are old mushroom hunters and there are Bold mushroom hunters. There are no old bold mushroom hunters"

I'd love to find some truely killer mushrooms, so far i reckon i've found Panther cap, they were older specimins though and had opened up with flat tops, they looked like little coffee tables ;) can't tell you how happy i was to see em :D

Now I come to think of it; Gordon oft relates the advice that: "In fact, ALL fungi are edible, unfortunately some of them; only once! "

cheers

R.B.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh

Yeah, Panther Cap is about the nastiest I've ever found. Is it perverse that I'd really like to find a Destroying Angel sometime?

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Yeah, Panther Cap is about the nastiest I've ever found. Is it perverse that I'd really like to find a Destroying Angel sometime?

Not at all! my quest is to find death cap and destoying angel also its exciting to find and identify them i think its pretty neat :D
granted you're liver and kidneys wouldn't appreciated it if you ate em but i'm not after the eating i'm after the kewl factor for finding them.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Found some death caps or maybe fasle death caps last year - didn't go into the finer details but there were quite a few of them in a group.
Hoping to do alot of mushroom finding this year - got a good feeling...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE