What an evil looking thing...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
...said my wife when she saw my latest creation!

It's my interpretation of a 17th Century belt knife. I used a stag horn crow handle, with a poured, lead free pewter bolster. It's the first time I use pewter, and made a bolster on one of my knives, and I am very pleased with the result. The blade has a stick tang, which is pinned into the handle with a riveted steel pin. I have filed a decorative pattern into the horn, then poured the molten pewter into it.

The knife is 10" long, with a 5" triangular, hand filed blade. I have also done a bit of file work on the spine.

The sheath is not done yet, but is going to be a simple affair, with a leather cord to attach it to the belt.

P1030075.jpg

P1030077.jpg

That one is a bit blurred...:(

P1030078.jpg

This is the first time I have used pewter and I have learned a lot from this first foray into casting metals. I am going to write a tutorial on my blog in the next few days, for thos who might be interested.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is your wife blind? Stunning and looking forward to seeing that pewter tutorial, as it took me a while to do it for my kitchen knife. (is anybody else having trouble with the british blades forum?)

Last edited:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is your wife blind?

It was in a light hearted way! sort of very sharp/pointy/eeeek looking...nasty thing !

She's not into knives but certainly appreciate the work and esthetics of the things.

The pewter was an experience, you sure need to be careful with the molten stuff, I was careful and still found some spatters down my trouser leg and on my shoes:yikes:

Well worth it though, I certainly will do it again with other knives.

I am thinking about a crooked knife with a pewter bolster and inlay...coming soon... And I''l take some pics of the process.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
That looks seriously well done. So - you could use pewter to get a 100% tight fitting bolster, I presume? Building a shell for the bolster around a blade and using this method has been on my mind for some time. How hard is the cooled down material?

-Emile

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thanks for the comments gentlemen

That looks seriously well done. So - you could use pewter to get a 100% tight fitting bolster, I presume? Building a shell for the bolster around a blade and using this method has been on my mind for some time. How hard is the cooled down material?

-Emile

The pewter is melted with a blow torch, not sure what the melting point is at the moment, then poured into the cavity. All you need to make a mould for the pewter is masking tape and cardboard. You need to warm the blade to ensure the best contact between the blade and the pewter. Everything must be quite dry, or the pewter can sort of explode on you. Once cooled, you can shape it with files and sand paper. You need to be quite careful with the molten metal though, splattering this on your skin could result in some nasty burns. Once cold the metal is plenty hard enough, not as hard as the steel but harder than the horn. That blade is not going enywhere!

The whole knife weighs 100grs/4oz. Balance is just under the steel pin.

Last edited:

Jacknife

Forager
Aug 27, 2005
Somerset
I'm sure the bolsters on a Sabatier 'V' kitchen knife I have are done the same way, it too looks like pewter.

Nice piece of work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE