Recent projects - a camp knife and some Spydercos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have been keeping fairly busy in the work shop this summer :D

This has an 8" blade of 5mm O-1 with tapered tang and oil finished bocote scales held on with stainless bolts. A friend saw one of my 6" knives and wanted something similar, but stretched...
IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4924.jpg

Also been working on a bunch of "kit" knives ;)

IMG_4906.jpg

IMG_4850.jpg

No particular reason for posting these other than being really glad that they are all done at last!!!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
8 spydie bushcrafters and a camp knife!!! you have some time on your hands eh?!

LOL. Hardly. I have been racking up the overtime at work trying to get stuff on my project before I get transfered to a differnt team. I had a couple of deadlines on these knives too and I have to admit that it did start to get less fun knowing that time was running short.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Beautiful looking knives. What's the wood you used for the scales on the fourth knife down in the fourth photograph?

Pomelle bubinga with an 8 coat oil finish to fill the grain. It should have been more coats, but I was running out of time. If I had used a sanding sealler it would probably have been easier!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Very nice Chris.

I hope they're not getting kydex. :D

The camp knife looks like it would be fun to use although I bet Ian doesn't like it with that large choil. :lol: Is it a flat grind with convex edge?

It's nice to see the mix of handles on the Spydies. I believe Spyderco have released the blade blanks now so we should start seeing more.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Very nice Chris.

I hope they're not getting kydex. :D

The camp knife looks like it would be fun to use although I bet Ian doesn't like it with that large choil. :lol: Is it a flat grind with convex edge?

It's nice to see the mix of handles on the Spydies. I believe Spyderco have released the blade blanks now so we should start seeing more.

akacoach

Jul 2, 2010
UK
Great looking knives - the 8" is stunning!

What is the handle of the bottom knife in the bottom picture made of?

hatethatgiraffe

Forager
Jan 9, 2010
Glasgow
I love that top Spydie, looks so elegant and sleek :)
The red micarta isn't too shabby either ;)
And unlike Stew I actually quite like Kydex.
I see the spyderco blanks are available too, be interesting to see what people do with them.

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
Git. No offence like Chris, but there is such a thing as too good ;)

Love the camp chopper, just works right off the bat for me...as for the Spydies, then I really want to get a blade as its a milestone project and seeing those truly EXCLLENT examples makes me want one even more :(

Rgds

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Cheers guys :D
Yeah Stew, Ian didn't go for the choil, but he did the heat treat anyway ;) The guy it is for wanted a choil, so he has one.And yes, its flat with a convex edge :D

Due to popular requests, I have added labels for handle materials.

Dave, I haven't forgotten about you!

Si, you are only saying that because the photos hide a multitude of sins!!!! I could go on at some length about what is wrong with these all, but having been "shushed" by folk many times in the past, I am gonna keep (mostly) quiet and not draw attention to their flaws! :p

I don't think any of them are getting Kydex. Someone else has volunteered to do some leather work for them, but it is possible that the red Micarta will end up wearing plastic. Will have to wait till the Moot to find out.

For those of you who are vaguely curious, there is a series of photos of the handle shaping of one of these over on the Spyderco forum: It is fairly picture heavy!

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?p=593621

Thanks again for looking :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE