essential kit advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
im looking to get some basic kit, no thrills just enough to be relatively comfortable i have kit for overnighter/1 to 2 days but i need a more thorough setup
i want to go bushpacking (back packing but more bushcraft orientated) around the uk, following a book i have, its about the most beautiful/interesting places in the british country side
i would need kit for 3-4 weeks worth of wandering, then i will have to come back to what we call civilization to restock supplies give clothes and kit a proper wash etc
i need a list of everything i would need for such a trip please
this will be for uk conditions, end of summer to mid winter
atb dean

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Dean - you know the drill - shelter, warmth, water, food. There are a squillion combo's depending on circumstance ranging from a pasty from Greg's to catching/trapping/foraging bits with dirt on - it's all foraging. You're best bet is to dig through the archives. Hope you have a good trip and remember that experience is the best teacher :eek:)

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
So far my list has

1 man backpacking tent
A tarp
A sleeping bag and liner
A Thermal Sleeping mat
a knife (probably a small fixed or small folder) with sharpening kit
A Folding saw
pruning shears
Fire lighting kit
Hobo stove
1.3 and 1 L mess tins
spoon
Cup
2x 1L water bottles and bladder
Water purification tablets
Some basic food
Wash bag, towel and hygene stuff
First aid kit
Some sort of bar detergent so I can wash my clothes and a couple of clips
Collapsible bowl for washing
Foraging guide, I know some edible foods but not enough
fishing kit ( hand reel style)
Clothes and footwear
Compression type dry bags
mobile, headlight, mini torch, hand crank generator ( wind up torch type), compass, cordage, binoculars, sewing kit, pen and paper etc
and a rucksack to put it all in
And I will have to build up my knowledge and skills before I go, a couple of mini trips near home might be a good idea too so I can check my setup

I think ive covered most of it, will add or subtract from my list when i think of things or when other forum members point out some obvious mistakes
will start reading up on everything an what sort of kit i want when I can concentrate

Last edited:

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Looking at your list,here's a few comments
3 knives? why do you need three?
fork AND spoon? Try a spork i've never needed a fork and a spoon at the same time.
2L pot? How many are you cooking for?
collapsible bucket? For what?
Tent and tarp? Why not ditch the tent and use a bivi bag They're lighter and smaller to pack.
Lots of people double up on kit just in case,this adds a lot of weight to your pack.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I think I would ditch the fixed blades and just take a couple of good edc legal folders, purley because if your out for long periods of time your more likely to pop into a village to replen or replace something, and just being able to go where you like with out any back of the mind worrys would make it easyser i think. also i'd bin the snares, if for what ever reason you were asked to show the contents of your kit they can be mistaken for pochers kit, it's all about negating any worrys for as many events as posscible. oh and the fork spoons are for winners, forks are for dorks! but it looks like a pretty comprehensive list, what were you thinking of food wise?

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
3 knives because i like sharp things :D im just brain storming here, nothing is final, i could drop the sak and back up and just have a main knife :S or a main and openiel
2L pot is for water purification purposes and cooking and im sure i can pack stuff int it when i goes in my pack
collapsible bucket is so i can was clothes and me
my tent is basically a hoped bivi bag , so its a bivi and tarp setup

thank for the constructive criticism, like i said im a bit clueless so appreciate the advice

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
southey ill look into the folder option
snares were just an idea
food will mostly be dehydrated, preserved or powder stuff along with what i can find, get my hands on
im still not sure really, theres lots or reading and stuff to learn before i can even think about going

Last edited:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
can a mod change the title please
it was supposed to say "essential kit advice" not advise

Title changed.
:D

Also, I agree with Southey.
For the sort of trip you describe, you're better off just having a SAK. something like a huntsman.
If you're taking a hobo stove a small folding saw and a pair of garden secateurs are handy to have as well.
The less stuff you have in your pack, the happier you'll be in the long run.
You also won't need a bowl and a plate.
A bowl, a mug, and a spoon have served me on many long trips.
I use a mini-wok like this. I've used it as bowl and frying pan before. and it weighs almost nothing.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Sewing kit dude, allways take it with me where ever I go, and probably and a youth hostle card, just for those mornings when you feel you've had enough, book in, poop,shower and a shave and your ready to go again the next day.even on the hrdest trips it's good to allow yourself time to recharge.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
I definitely agree with the sewing kit. Also your toiletries so you can keep yourself clean and healthy.

Another option instead of the bivy bag is a hammock. While I am not from the UK, nor ever been unfortunately, I understand it can be quite wet. Is that true? If it is, you might be more comfortable off the ground. Or at least have more options to set up camp. A poncho liner or something like that can serve as an underblanket and a wool blanket on top. That can give you a lot of flexibility as both are multi-use items. That combination means you won't need the tent, sleeping bag, liner and mat.

Also for the hobo stove, a small set of pruning shears can give you a quick supply of fuel. I found it really useful for my wood gas stove.

And a pair of rubber slippers won't weigh much or take up much room, but they are great for wearing around camp at night to air out your feet. And you can use them to sit on to keep your butt dry when things are wet. And a pair of swim trunks. Weighs almost nothing but it allows you to air out your body without being naked. Or to go swimming in. Those two items really work for me in Hawaii. You have to decide for yourself though.

Gold Bond powder is really good too. You can use it as a foot powder if needed and it's fantastic if you get any chafing.

Since you plan to be out 3-4 weeks, maybe some type of solar charger for your batteries. I am still looking for one for myself. But I do have a Brunton Solo 3.4 that I take with me. It charges my phone and my batteries (with a USB charger). It's enough for me for maybe a week. More than that and it needs to get recharged. It might be enough for 3-4 weeks if you don't leave your phone on all the time.

And might I suggest the hybrid solar flashlight? It will run all night on one charge, has a battery back up and will charge up in any kind of light. And it is waterproof and shockproof and pretty light weight as the back up batteries are the button type. That along with a headlamp and you should be good to go for lighting.

A catapult, some snare wire and some fishing kit can help you secure food. I don't know your laws though and you might want to check first.

And a camera and notebook to document and then to share with us.

That's it for my rambling thoughts now.

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
Whats the book that inspired you called?
ill check it later today, its to early to be moving everything about to find it, dont want to wake the whole house

Sewing kit dude, allways take it with me where ever I go, and probably and a youth hostle card, just for those mornings when you feel you've had enough, book in, poop,shower and a shave and your ready to go again the next day.even on the hrdest trips it's good to allow yourself time to recharge.
i had forgot about a sewing kit, thanks
being a cyclist ive toyed with the idea of touring so i thinking of doing this by bike now would make it easier to get between places of interest, bike would be carrying my kit, and it would be a bit more fun ( if i keep the milage down, say 60-80 miles a day) would be more touring orientated with wild camping than bushcraft though so ill have to save the bushcraft type stuff for short trips or a grounded type trip

I definitely agree with the sewing kit. Also your toiletries so you can keep yourself clean and healthy.

Another option instead of the bivy bag is a hammock. While I am not from the UK, nor ever been unfortunately, I understand it can be quite wet. Is that true? If it is, you might be more comfortable off the ground. Or at least have more options to set up camp. A poncho liner or something like that can serve as an underblanket and a wool blanket on top. That can give you a lot of flexibility as both are multi-use items. That combination means you won't need the tent, sleeping bag, liner and mat.

Also for the hobo stove, a small set of pruning shears can give you a quick supply of fuel. I found it really useful for my wood gas stove.

And a pair of rubber slippers won't weigh much or take up much room, but they are great for wearing around camp at night to air out your feet. And you can use them to sit on to keep your butt dry when things are wet. And a pair of swim trunks. Weighs almost nothing but it allows you to air out your body without being naked. Or to go swimming in. Those two items really work for me in Hawaii. You have to decide for yourself though.

Gold Bond powder is really good too. You can use it as a foot powder if needed and it's fantastic if you get any chafing.

Since you plan to be out 3-4 weeks, maybe some type of solar charger for your batteries. I am still looking for one for myself. But I do have a Brunton Solo 3.4 that I take with me. It charges my phone and my batteries (with a USB charger). It's enough for me for maybe a week. More than that and it needs to get recharged. It might be enough for 3-4 weeks if you don't leave your phone on all the time.

And might I suggest the hybrid solar flashlight? It will run all night on one charge, has a battery back up and will charge up in any kind of light. And it is waterproof and shockproof and pretty light weight as the back up batteries are the button type. That along with a headlamp and you should be good to go for lighting.

A catapult, some snare wire and some fishing kit can help you secure food. I don't know your laws though and you might want to check first.

And a camera and notebook to document and then to share with us.

That's it for my rambling thoughts now.

hi hanzo , ill think about the hammock option but im not to sure tbh, my tent, footprint, bag, liner and mat is about 2.3-2.5 kg so its not too heavy, the wetness isn't really a problem because of the tent and footprint, there both bath tub style so unless it floods or the water builds up say over 6 inches (hopefully not) i should be ok
someone has put about pruning shears, i forgot to add it to the list, but i will now, thanks
ill stick a pair of flip flops in my kit too, i was going to just go bare foot and clean my feat before i got in my tent, get dressed etc but i guess they would come in handy if i stopped in a hostel for a shower, swimming trunks will be in my kit as well ( i wear shorts alot anyway even in winter)
i will be taking some lanacane medicated body powder in my hygiene bag as well, i know i didn't really elaborate on my wash bag hygiene stuff
ive been looking into chargers, and i think im going to go with a hand crank generator like the ones you get in a wind up torch ( i could always rig it to my bike while i ride)
how efficient are solar powered generators and flashlights ( we don't have Hawaiian sun to use and charge them)
ill have a fishing kit, been advised not to take snare wire, and a catapult i didn't even think about, will see

ill be using a 3.2 megapixel camera of my mobile ( its ok, i wont really be needing any detailed shots) and i had forgot about a notebook and pen too

thanks everyone for the input, like i said its really appreciated

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
You can ditch the bucket and wash and shave in a mug. Either get a second mug that'll fit on the bottom of your second waterbottle (no one likes soap suds and shaved-off whiskers in their cuppa) or if you only use one waterbottle and metal mug then get one of those little plastic cups that fold inside themselves to take up hardly any weight or space (Swedish issue I think).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE