A couple of walking sticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Just (about finished these two sticks, an antler thumbstick with built in compass and secret container (well not so secret now :lmao: ) on a birch shaft ....

20100707-_MG_6867.jpg

20100707-_MG_6868.jpg

Secret container ( a mini plastic test tube!) not much space, perhaps only fit a couple of matches or aquatabs in there :yikes: A leather washer is fitted between the antler and the wooden cap/ compass
20100707-_MG_6870.jpg

.....and my first carved woodspirit , on a hazel shaft
20100707-_MG_6871.jpg

Not sure about the paracord, will probably go with a leather wrist loop
20100707-_MG_6872.jpg

Difficult to get a photo to show the detail...
20100707-_MG_6874.jpg

The hole for the wrist loop was drilled so that a piece of copper brake pipe of slightly longer length could be tapped into place, and then carefully worked, firstly levering with a screwdriver, then tapping with a small ball pein hammer folding the tubing back on itself so it held firm , if that makes sense :confused:
20100707-_MG_6873.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look :)
Cheers
Mike

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Those are really nice! Clever idea for a secret compartment in the antler, I love little touches like that. I'm a frustrated secret agent or Great Escape wannabe so little hideaway nooks like that bring a smile to my face. As for the carving - Most impressive! I'm looking at my staff propped up in the corner and wonder what a carving on that would look like and if so what?

Nice work Sherwood. (I posted the gouge off so you should be getting in next week sometime, postage from france is sloooooow.)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Very impressed - how do you get the piece of wood to fit tightly on the plastic tube? (and squash the leather washer) so tht it all fits nicely?

Very impressed - how do you get the piece of wood to fit tightly on the plastic tube? (and squash the leather washer) so tht it all fits nicely?

Hi, the plastic tube has a screw cap, this has been recessed into the wooden top and then secured in place with epoxy adhesive,
....then after the leather washer was fitted (once everything was dry) the top could be screwed up tight, and the wooden top then shaped to match the antler's contour.

Should the top and antler profile no longer meet up over time, because of wear and tear/ compression of the washer, it should just be a case of fitting a new piece of leather of the correct thickness :D
Hope thats what you meant, and makes sense ;)
Cheers all
Mike :)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Ahh - thanks, I see now - not had much luck finding such tubes on the internet but if I come across some I will get a few and have a go myself

Said I would do another, and here it is (seasoned Hazel)
20100710-_MG_6876.jpg

20100710-_MG_6875.jpg

This one has a bit more "attitude" I think :lmao:
Sorry for picture quality in the second one, the stick moved :rolleyes:
And the whole stick below-(its about 54 inches long)
20100710-_MG_6877.jpg

Its still not quite finished, needs sanding properly and then sealing, probably with linseed oil in this case, a wrist strap fitting, and a brass ferrule or maybe even an alpine spike :yikes: at the bottom.
Cheers, Mike :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE