Arctic canoe expedition 2010 - northern sweden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Ive wanted to organise a canoe trip to Sweden for a while but didn’t fancy going to the well established canoeing lakes in the South. The location was chosen after seeing a glorius photo on a google image search which after closer inspection proved to be Sarek national park a mountain range north of the Arctic circle in Sweden.
Cut along story short the area isn’t hugely popular with paddlers (in fact the people we spoke to had never herd of any English people doing trips at all) with maybe a few day hires a year but certainly no expeditions so sourcing canoes was difficult. We managed to arrange canoe hire from a incredibly friendly guy Matti (which In fairness was more like borrowing them off a mate than a business transaction!) whos main business is dog sled tours in the winter (http://www.jokkmokkguiderna.com/).

The route we planned started in Kvikkjokk and finished just to the west of Jokkmokk at about 110km long. This gave us 5 days of about 8 hours paddling and a short last day. The remoteness was apparently after only a short paddle throughout the whole trip we only saw 4 people and the only sign of life were the occasional hut and the dams and gubbins which occurred at the end of a few of the lakes.
The wild life was fantastic and we were treated to a rare and awe inspiring sighting. To see a Scandinavian brown bear in the wild was truly fantastic and whole unexpected (to put this into perspective Matti works in these areas all day nearly every day and has lived in the region for over 20 years and has never seen a bear in the wild and only twice from the car on the road). I spotted his withers through the trees and called to Stewart who was in front but he missed him looking for him we though he must have been spooked and gone deeper into the forrest but he appeared 200m down stream up on back legs air sniffing – one of the greatest sights ive been privileged to see.
Other wildlife was varied from sand lizards to ospreys and lemming. I will try to get up a full write up on the blog in the near future but there are over 300 pics and work have me sailing on Sunday (boo hiss) I’ll add to them as I can on the Bushcraft Navigation site.

Special thanks to my friend Torsten who was a great help in obtain the information needed in Sweden on my behalf

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
had to shave it off today Mark it didnt go down at all well at home oh well sailing sunday so have a month to grow a new one lol

PS hope to see you this summer bud

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Wow, looks a stunning trip

The wife just saw the bear pics and said "Ahh bless"

Thanks for sharing Will

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I had that problem to, I grew what I thought of as a nice beard but when wifey came home from the States it had to go.
I really am going to get out this year so see you soon mate.

Mark

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Will mate,
looks absolutely fantastic!

You're about the only person I know where a beard makes them younger looking.;)

Tom.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE