recommend me a SMALL daysack - less than 20L?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
I've found that I need yet another carry system - something that fits
between my ancient 30L Haglofs Hunter rucksack and my Snugpak bum
bag.

I want a small (i.e. less that 20L) daysack which is able to carry only the
essesntials because I've found the bigger the bag the more I carry.

I'd prefer something in subdued colours rarther than the day-glo ultra-light
mountaineering style of bag and hopefully something that won't cost the
earth.

I've seen some daysacks by Deerhunter and Bushwear.co.uk that more
or less fit the bill but any suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers - Chris

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
A little larger than you are looking for, but the side pockets are a winner for me. The Highlander 25 is a small package and is really perfect for what you want, It's alot smaller than it appears in the pics. I had the same problem with my Karrimor 30 and 35s as they just encouraged me to carry more kit. This sack won me over quickly.

The Highlander 25 side pockets fit a Nato 58 bottle perfectly.

forces25.jpg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have an alpkit gourdon - it is the older version and a bigger size but I love it! - this one has even has cords and external side pockets.....

I think it is great as it truly is waterproof and thus saves messing with drybags as well! ;)

non connection, blah blah......... just a happy customer!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The version pictured above is the newer one. I have last years model which can easily be found. They are on Ebay for about £20. I like the older versions side opening pockets better, as you can get your bottle out without having to take of the pack, but it lacks the front pocket.

20May20104.jpg

Last edited:

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
many thanks for the quick suggestions - I was looking at the Alpkit Gourdon actually, its certainly very light and the waterproofing is a big seller as I want it for creeping about wet and dank places. And I had considered the Highlander 25 as well but I'm going to stick to my guns and look for something around the 15-20L mark (a hot day schlepping a half empty 30+L sack around this weekend has taught me a hard lesson).

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I forgot about bags. These are great and you don't get a sweaty back. I use this to go herping and on day trips...

indiana_bag__98160.jpg

Holds a water bottle, food and Haribo, what else do you need?

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
well yes, bags may also be an option - infact I've got a knock-off versipack from ebaybanned.com (about a tenth of the price of Maxpedition....) but it's not quite big enough.

Basically I want something to carry...

* 4 - 6L water
* Mircrofleece
* fire kit (small)
* tracking box
* small bits and pieces

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've been using the 20l Alpkit gourdon now for year and half. Might be bigger than you want but if you tighten the bungee cords up they compress the bag up and if you cut the cords down to that size you can't open the bag up fully thus making it a permanent 10 or 15 litre sack like you want. Plus at £12.50 (price when I got mine) you can't really knock it. Just an idea to take advantage of a sack that has many of the requirements but is too big. Light, a drybag, cheap, tough, very functional with mesh side pockets capable of taking a bottle and bungee cord suitable for wet waterproofs when it does eventually stop raining, etc.

BTW did I say that the 20litre gourdon is only 600g! (weighed mine, less if you leave the back pad behind).

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Have a look at the Norwegian canvas and leather day sacks ( 15ltrs ish! )
that Endicotts have in at the mo.
Very nice.
Chris.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I was going to recommend one of these, but just noticed it's a 35Litre

frenchruck.jpg

There's one on ebay right now and dirt cheap too

Here

I picked one up recently and it's great, loads of pockets, two side pockets, one big one on the back, another between the straps outside and another inside. "Waterproof" too.

Run a french 35l rucksack search for more pictures of the same

Know what you mean about carrying a bigger pack and filling it. Been there, done that, got the T shirt. :lmao:

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Call me old fashioned, but i use a 1944 jungle pattern backpack ,it has pockets but being a canvas material some might say its heavy when wet but its only a small pack and very durable, well thats my choice of pack.Good luck with finding what you want.
Darren

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE