Two new kit ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Hi,

Since finding Bcuk I've got to thinking about kit in a different way. Me and a buddy were talking about the annoyance of having to pee at night. We both admitted to at times peeing in a bottle. My friend actually takes a dedicated bottle with him when he camps.

I was wondering if other bushcrafters do something similar and if there is a product on the market designed for this. I kind of sketched one out which had a wide base and a wide neck and was concertinaed so it could be collapsible. Imagine, if you will, a plastic mineral water bottle with the horizontal indented ridges which are a design feature allowing it to crush down and then when the lid is reapplied a vacuum is created for the bottle take up less space in the bin. Well I thought of something tougher and with a wider bottom and neck but along the same lines. Am I bonkers?

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I think lots of folk have a bottle labelled with a 'P' for...

Your idea sounds like a type bottle I used to use for photography. It's a concertina shape to alllow you to exclude all the air after you have poured some deveoloper out of it (prevents the stuff oxidising).

Have a look at:
http://www.silverprint.co.uk/ProductByGroup.asp?PrGrp=1094
471601 litre CONCERTINA BOTTLE£4.16 £4.89

Cheers,
Steve

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Uribag

F_8920_Uribag.jpg

1100 cc (1.1 ltr)

Costs around 20 EUR (16 GBP-ish)

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
On reading the thread "What's your around the camp fire tipple" I should think some of the guys here need a couple of Demijohns close at hand. :lmao:

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Hi,

Since finding Bcuk I've got to thinking about kit in a different way. Me and a buddy were talking about the annoyance of having to pee at night. We both admitted to at times peeing in a bottle. My friend actually takes a dedicated bottle with him when he camps.

I was wondering if other bushcrafters do something similar and if there is a product on the market designed for this. I kind of sketched one out which had a wide base and a wide neck and was concertinaed so it could be collapsible. Imagine, if you will, a plastic mineral water bottle with the horizontal indented ridges which are a design feature allowing it to crush down and then when the lid is reapplied a vacuum is created for the bottle take up less space in the bin. Well I thought of something tougher and with a wider bottom and neck but along the same lines. Am I bonkers?

I always carry a P bottle (wide-necked Nalgene 1lt.) - it's an age thing!

You can buy similar collapsible bottles to the one you describe for storing photographic chemicals (not sure they come with a wide neck though.)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
IIRC the ladies have one of those pee devices that the manufacturer supplies a pee bag to attache to it that is like a soft flexible bag so when empty takes up little room and weight but still holds a bladder's worth of the drink from the night before. Sorry about that but I was on another forum and there was a thread about those products and I was amused at how there were over twice the number of men posting about it than women. It seems men are gear freaks more than women and it doesn't matter what the gear is they are interested. I guess that's a man thing.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Don't use a water bottle from the shop BTW. A guy I knew on his first trip with his new expensive geodesic tent with his new expensive down sleeping bag and numerous other new and expensive kit that he had with him for the first time shared his tent with his mate. His mate uses a pee bottle and usually any bottle he finds first. Well the tent had two entrances so they were top and tail sleeping. Unfortunately he wa downhill. DO I have to say any more?

Anyway, his mate caused an argument that cost his mate the price to clean a down sleeping bag about 3 times and he had to hose his tent down a few times. It amused everyone else at how persistent the smell of urine can be in a tent and down sleeping bag.

Pee bottles can be a good idea but you need one that won't leak or split. Also you need to make sure that you hit the inside of the bottle unlike when you miss the urinal in a pub it matters more in a tent in your sleeping nag that you don't miss the bottle. That is more of an issue after a few beverages I'm sure. Personally I find it very easy to stand on a mat in the entrance of my tent and pee quite some distance away. How hard is that? Of course that only happens when its raining hard. Other times I walk away (usually bare footed) and pee downhill from the tents / tarps. Not hard and you warm up quickly IMHO.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Mr Ed I reckon you're still young enough for that! ;)

Me too, just. I do camp with someone who happens to get up in the night perhaps twice or occasionally thrice. It is always good practice to get up and go for a walk then pee on the way back to warm up before turining in. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
When car camping I just use the plastic milk bottle that I've drunk on the first day. It means that after the trip I can just swill it out and recycle it.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
If your camping with someone who uses a pee bottle it's always worth adding a couple of spoonfuls of Andrews Liver Salts to the empty bottle.
Your guaranteed a laugh in the middle of the night :D

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I just get up and go for a p~@s! Last year at the bushmoot a mate of mine was sleeping in his hennesy and he takes a nalgene bottle to bed just in case, well he needed to go, so he did in his bottle, then before screwing the lid on he fell back to sleep, tipping the contents over himself! so I think I will just get up and go!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE