Bushcraft Humble pie!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi friends and members,:eek:
I want to turn over a new leaf,
I realise that recently and in the past I have offended members of Bcuk and even other websites.

I Know I've reacted strongly and sometimes inappropriately to peoples a views and even kit. It's partly sue to issues I have.

so Can I say to you all, I'll try my best in the future to be considerate of the way I say and view things.

Cheers.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Jericho,
many members of this site (one of the more polite forums) have been here for years. Members often get to know each others posting style. Similarly, you are probably used to the way those around you speak.

Would you think it presumptuous if you were chatting with an acquaintance and a stranger walked up and told you off?

Perhaps showing that you have anything of value to contribute would be a better introduction than rudeness. BTW, my original comment wasn't aimed at your post regarding the Rock.

MI5_Dog

Mar 5, 2010
Perth
Jericho,
many members of this site (one of the more polite forums) have been here for years. Members often get to know each others posting style. Similarly, you are probably used to the way those around you speak.

Would you think it presumptuous if you were chatting with an acquaintance and a stranger walked up and told you off?

Perhaps showing that you have anything of value to contribute would be a better introduction than rudeness. BTW, my original comment wasn't aimed at your post regarding the Rock.

Sorry that this may be off topic and while I applaud the original posters humility (and the bravery to post such comments) I have to comment on the above quote.

If what you say is true then the forum should not bother admitting new members. It should close doors and become an 'old boys club'.
I also find your analogy flawed. A forum is just that. It is not a 'chat with an acquaintance'. That's what PM's are for.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
That's not what I'm saying at all. New members are always welcome. But what might be taken as cheekiness from an older member can be misconstrued as rudeness from a new one. That's not being elitist or judgemental.

Geez. Maybe I was wrong and having a bash at someone who has been posting here for the last 7 years isn't rudeness at all.

MI5_Dog

Mar 5, 2010
Perth
That's not what I'm saying at all. New members are always welcome. But what might be taken as cheekiness from an older member can be misconstrued as rudeness from a new one. That's not being elitist or judgemental.

Geez. Maybe I was wrong and having a bash at someone who has been posting here for the last 7 years isn't rudeness at all.

I also thought he was rude, however as the internet is a text only medium and it's very easy to get the wrong end of the stick. So I applaud the original poster and ignore the rude ones. Regardless of how long they've been around. ;)

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Hi friends and members,
I want to turn over a new leaf,
I realise that recently and in the past I have offended members of Bcuk and even other websites.

I Know I've reacted strongly and sometimes inappropriately to peoples a views and even kit. It's partly sue to issues I have.

so Can I say to you all, I'll try my best in the future to be considerate of the way I say and view things.

Cheers.

I thought that was pretty clear.
  • A recognition that he had upset some people.
  • An apologetic tone stating that some of his posts had been inappropriate.
  • A promise to try to be more considerate in the future.

I think that a promise to try to be more considerate is a more honest and realistic approach than saying "I won't upset anyone in the future" as this thread shows that people can take offence at anything!

Cheers,
Steve

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
C'mon guys, let's drop this one - instead we can all laugh at Steve007 for doing precisely what Rappleby was apologising for...

:D

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Doing your best is trying very hard in my book
but
I am sure steve007 was just joking
To return to the OP
well done RAPPELBY2000 It takes humilty to make such a post; so good on ya fella
I have seen posts here people have taken offence to your posts and often they seemed to be overreacting so dont go beating yourself up to the extent of conforming and losing your own very special personality
If we were all the same the world would be a very grey place indeed

Last edited:

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Doing your best is trying very hard in my book
but
I am sure steve007 was just joking
To return to the OP
well done RAPPELBY2000 It takes humilty to make such a post; so good on ya fella
I have seen posts here people have taken offence to your posts and often they seemed to be overreacting so dont go beating yourself up to the extent of conforming and losing your own very special personality
If we were all the same the world would be a very grey place indeed

Agreed mate, don't take it personally - you can't be king of bushcrafting whilst we live under Tony's benevolent dictatorship...

:D

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
For a supposed peaceful Hobby that gets you around the fire with good friends sharing and practising skills with like minded people some of you guys on here have some issues, chill out ***.
Any googlite can spout off on a forum with attitude and venom and give it the big'un. We all have our off days, weeks eh, It takes a lot of bottle and thought to apologise for your actions and try to wipe the slate clean, respect to you for this Rappleby this is a bloody good forum and Tony and his team put a lot of effort into keeping it that way, they do it with the best interest of the group as a whole what ever their methods, agreed with or not, so from me nice one and accepted for what its worth eh.......

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
:)I reckon we should chastise him a bit more:pokenest:

Only kidding,if there were no different views,no matter how strongly felt there would be no discussion and if we were all the same it would be very boringThere's really no need to apologise for being who you are.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE