The best stove for the uninitiated

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Over here in Sweden the default answer would be a bog standard Trangia stove. Dead easy to use, pretty safe (unless you try to top up a burner that is still going), cheap to run, and a quite good stove in real life as well.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Really? How would that be?
How does putting a lighter to a puddle of meths require more bushcraft skill than putting a lighter to a jet of gas?
The only difference that I can see is if you make you own meths stove. But even that's not likely to happen 'in the field' (unless you optimistically take a pot of meths with you on the off-chance you'll stumble across an old tin can).

It may be that it is I that is missing something, not you :D

This is just a personal feeling, not sure that its strong enough to call an opinion ;)

The way I see it is that if you buy a gas stove it is very much a complete system, not affected greatly by wind or damp, complete with all necessary stands, shields or reflectors. Anyone can buy it and use it to do basic heating with minimal skill or imagination.

Buying a meths burner can be much the same, but there is greater scope, particularly if you have made your own. Wind shields and stands are things that can be home built or improvised in the field. I have used my Coke can stove with pot hangers and a birch bark wind deflector. Its succeptibility to wind means I have to read the land a little more to find a properly sheltered spot. The proximity of the flame to the ground can mean you make little "alien landing" burn marks on the ground unless you have chosen the site, or base, with a little care (the same holds for some gas stoves too, but not the ones where the burner is perched on top of the canister). The fuel seems more sensitive to cold and damp and in miserable weather can require a bit more coaxing than a gas stove.

I guess you could draw a parallel between wool/ventile and proprietory fleece/Goretex. We tend to buy all our clothing, which means it is all equally commercial and a product of the modern world. However, the simpler materials need a little more care to use, can at a push be made or modded at home, and their simplicity devorces the user just a little less from the outdoors than going with the very latest modern manufactured product.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Anything other than the stink of Hexi!
Out of the gas/hexi/SA Trangia triumvate I would chose the Trangia as the kit you get is versatile and the pans are great on an open fire as well as in the meths system of windshield and burner.
Also the meths is cheaper and produces less litter (fuel cans) than the gas as well as being less likely to suffer from rough handling or develop mechanical problems over time.
OK the SA Trangia is heavier and has a slower boil time...but in my eyes it wins out in durability, simplicity and versitility.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
On a day out I use hexi in a crusader set, for longer I use a stainless Tatonka branded Trangia style burner. Once I'm out of hexi I've decided that's it I'm not buying any more. Now I'm pretty much a meths convert. Not as toxic to the environment as hexi, runs on easily produced fuel rather than fossil fuel and completely silent. It may take a few minutes longer than gas or petrol stoves but I'm never in that much of a rush, I just sit and appreciate the view. It also has the benefit of being reasonably safe to use under a tarp or even in a tent if the sleet is horizontal outside.

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
The trangy is probably the most reliable IMHO, I do carry a hexi-stove as a backup and have a certain sentimentality about it but I've always found it damn hard to light if you don't have shelter and it can be messy to clean up after it too.

W

wildjim

I was putting the word about to friends that I needed some kit for the great outdoors.

I now find myself with 3 different stove types,

A swedish military issue mess tin with a trangia style burner

A british military issue hexamine stove with cup adapter and cup that fits onto the bottom of a pattern 58 water bottle

And a camping gaz stove that screws directly onto the gas bottle.

Question is out of the three which would be the most suitable for bushcraft in the UK (fire restrictions and stuff) with regards to practicality,efficiency,safety,reliability and the clean up job after eating whilst out in the woods. :?:

I have the first two you describe and they alright for boiling water and are light to carry. Also I use a vienna sausage can home made alcohol burner.

I don't like to use propane gas as the containers, tanks are clumsy to pack around. I also prefer charcoal to propane for the backyard grill.

At a local yard sale I just found (for $30 us) a 1974 Coleman 413G coleman fuel (white gas, petrol) stove and Coleman fuel (white gas, petrol) Lantern 228H. Both items work like a charm since 36 years! Both are heavy to pack around but provide lots of light or cooking ability at base camp ; )

Last edited by a moderator:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Over here in Sweden the default answer would be a bog standard Trangia stove. Dead easy to use, pretty safe (unless you try to top up a burner that is still going), cheap to run, and a quite good stove in real life as well.

Well said, and they thrive in high winds due to the superb shield design (nothing to stop you using the pans on an open fire either).

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Has anybody noticed that this thread started in 2004???

Zombie thread! Let the dead rest! ;)

Having said that I prefer the old primus micron with pz ignition. They call it express auto now I think. It has the burner with the wire gauze in the centre which glows red and spreads the heat well to prevent hot spots.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
The trangy is probably the most reliable IMHO, I do carry a hexi-stove as a backup and have a certain sentimentality about it but I've always found it damn hard to light if you don't have shelter and it can be messy to clean up after it too.

yeah i agree, i use hexy in a small tin thing then i just bung the lid on after - this is mainly my pocket brew kit when out all day with the camera or something

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Old thread so what?
Still good fun to talk about lol
I have all types of stoves and I like them all. I carry a pocket rocket clone for emergencies as in if I run out of fuel for others or need a quick boil.
Otherwise, i usually use a petrol stove or meths.
Meths stoves (and hexi stoves) can do a lot but are often thought of as just a 'water boiler'.
As I have said before you can (and I do) cook many things ona meths stove.

If you ask 100 forums members you would prob get 95 dif answers! lol
But does it matter?
It a bit like saying whats the best knife to have?
I am in ICT and class myself as a 'serious photographer'. When people ask me
'whats the best camera?' or 'which computer should I get?'
I answer ' The one you keep with you(camera) and know how to use fully (both)
So many people have kit they don't know how to use.
THAT to me is the real question. Which stove do you FULLY understand and know how to get the best out of?
Meths stove performance is affected by many things and you can't just look at the stove in isolation. The windshield is very important for example.
Alan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Does it matter how old the post is? If old posts are an issue perhaps they should be removed after a couple of years?

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
I really should consider a multi-fuel stove..... My working day consists of being in close proximity to many thousands of litres of kerosene (Avtur), and some of it is inevitably rendered 'unfit for use in aircraft' by virtue of having been drained out of aircraft....... Curious, but true.

I currently prefer a meths burning setup, but when out in the hills, I generally have an MSR Pocket Rocket and 100gm gas cart in the bag, just in case. (Just in case 2 Trangia burners, 2 Titanium pots, 2 Tatonka stands, and a couple of litres of meths aren't quite enough !:eek:

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
Just goes to show that a good stove will stand the test of time!

Trangia all the way for me (prefer civi one to military), I used to love gas but then I got a proper trangia and have never looked back (ok I have a gas adapter too)

I had a civvy Trangia quite a few years ago.... had the gas burner for it too (had to cut a hole in the Tranny winshield).

Gave it away to a friend (Why do I do these stupid things ?)

There's nothing wrong with the civ Trangia, except for a little bit too much wasted space when packed, as opposed to my current setup, comprising a Snow Peak Titanium 1400 pot, a Tibetan 900 pot, 2 Trangia burners, 2 Tatonka burner stands, and a Firesteel, all nesting into the Snow Peak 1400.

My Swedish Army Trangia is like a Tardis, the amount of kit I fit into it for transit !

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm the same with kero at work (furnaces). As found out in the switch from Diesel to kero we found out that kero leaks and it took a lot of effort to stop them. Now if I had a multi fuel stove I could take advantage of one of those "leaks" if you know what I mean. Afterall a litre every so often is nothing considering they use 12k litres every few days anyway,

Its only the weight of muli stove that has stopped me anyway,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE