Budget Tepees (Juno etc)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Given that SWMBO is extremely unlikely to countenance anything "stately" in the tepee arena I wondered what experiences anyone might have had with the Juno etal from Vango or anything similar?

Have to admit it would be a whim, in the woods I tend to prefer my hammock and have a Wild Country that is used in the winter/wilder sites. This would be more for DofE base camps, Scout campsites etc and the occasional welsh farm weekend. Fancied something with standing room! Would I be wasting my money?

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Mesquite took a Juno to Rough close this weekend and I believe that Firecrest will be kipping in it. Might be worth PMing her on Monday, see what she thought of it ??

I saw it pitched and it looks fine to me :)

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
the Junos are great - i have an 800 and 2 500s - stand up to weather, good sizes, and can be bought really cheap off the bay - i got my second 500 a couple of weeks ago for £9.50 brand new!
even the 800 can be erected in 5 minutes on your own - i highly recommend them

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
I have a Juno 300. Very well made tent. Quite a bit of condensation when I used it last month in sub-zero and damp (snow) conditions, but no drips. For the price, highly recommended.

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
I've got a 5 man 'Peace' version of the Vango Teep, comes in a lovely green colour, thicker material, ally pole and pegs and the print on the side quite grows on you :)

Used this a few times in pretty high winds and it doesn't shift, held out the rain too. Can't fault it really!

I've got a 5 man 'Peace' version of the Vango Teep, comes in a lovely green colour, thicker material, ally pole and pegs and the print on the side quite grows on you :)

Used this a few times in pretty high winds and it doesn't shift, held out the rain too. Can't fault it really!

just got back from a 3 nighter using my peace tepee. I'm very impressed with the quality of the materials and workmanship.
We had quite strong winds and a few bouts of heavy rain and it was fine.

I got it from the yeoman sale a few weeks ago, I ordered the juno but was subbed this one:D.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
they look fun but if i was to go for a tipi (which is on my mind) it would have to be one i could have a burner in as i would want one to extend the family camping season the one at the outdoors show for about 2 grand would be ideal complete with reindeer hides just need to save for a few years i guess :-D

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
spent about 5 nights in mine now - they are great tents - my parents, who are in their 60s, had a great bank holiday weekend in one, despite disappointing weather.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
It was all a bit of a rush last week so never got chance to post an update. I ordered a Juno 500, outdoormegastore seemed to be a reasonable price and delivery I needed. The Juno arrive Wednesday and we were off to Mid Wales on Thursday after a quick inspection and counting the bits (I had already got Alpkit spikes to replace the anchor pegs).

5 nights were spent at our normal "greenfield" base camp (alt 300m) between Erwood and Painscastle. It was snowing when we arrived. The weather varied from raining and windy via drizzle, extremely clear and cold nights to sunny and windy. During this time the Explorer Scouts went off for a 3 day trip wild camping some few metres higher (350m & 400m) and a fair bit windier :lmao:

The Juno performed really well. OK it is not the warmest tent in those conditions but it is single skinned after all. It stood up well to the winds and cold on a couple of nights - I did put my hammock quilt over the sleeping bag more to cut out the draughts, and having put it in the bag it would have been daft not to use it!

Although there was significant internal condensation on the colder nights when the nighttime temps reached a balmy 4+ degrees it was not that troubling and dried after a few minutes of open doors.

It also seemed to provide endless delight to some people pointing out that I would have 17 Junos for what a friend's Tentipi cost :pokenest:

Last edited:

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
they look fun but if i was to go for a tipi (which is on my mind) it would have to be one i could have a burner in as i would want one to extend the family camping season the one at the outdoors show for about 2 grand would be ideal complete with reindeer hides just need to save for a few years i guess :-D

Bell tents are generally a bit cheaper than the canvas tipi alternatives, and you could certainly get a wood burner in one. My mates got this one: http://www.belltent.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3 Its its very nice. Not the highest possible quality in terms of fittings - the guys are the same as the ones you'd get on your average synthetic tent, and its made in China, but its not bad. Worth checking out this style of tent if you're in the market for a canvas jobby. Its nice that you can roll up the walls and have a nice airy space.

If I was looking for a big canvas tent, i'd try hunting for an old light green canvas scout tent. Remember them being great when I was a kid and they have roll up sides too. Never seen anyone outside of the scouts using one, not even on the festival circuit where theres canva shelters aplenty.

badawg

Apr 7, 2010
California
I have a friend with the Sportsmans Guide 10 foot tent and there is almost no standing room in it. It was alright for a cheapie though.

I have an 18 foot "party" tent also from them, it's great for shade and hanging out, but no good in th wether due to massive amounts of mesh.

Following the discussions above, I bought a Peace 500, and I have to say I've been very impressed.
Slept out a couple of nights in it at home to try it out (i.e. No1 son couldn't wait to use it) - as above, not the warmest tent when there is a ground frost, but an extra blanket over the sleeping bag sorted that out. Only a 2-season bag, after all... :rolleyes:

Just back from a 3-nighter, where it hammered down 2 nights out of three, and the third was frosty.

Good bits:
No leaking, no water inside that didn't come in on boots or trousers, and warm enough with the aforementioned extra blanket. Loads of room for 2, and I can almost stand up straight in it.

Not-so-good bits
Pegs need to be better - looking at that.
Pole is a bit flimsy - anyone know where I can get a 22mm or 25mm pole?
Guy adjusters are a bit pony - got some spares of the earlier Vango type, so they will get swapped, and the bright orange guys :eek: will have to go as well.
Folding it and actually getting it back in the original bag is, err... interesting... Managed it after a couple of attempts :eek:

All in all, I'm very pleased with it :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Used my Juno 800 for two nights last weekend and we had very heavy rain but no leaks in the tent at all. I love the space, three of us in the tent, Vapalux lantern put the temp right up (its well ventilated before anyone jumps in). Thinking about a winter configuration for it now, heating, tarp porch etc :)

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
Bell tents are generally a bit cheaper than the canvas tipi alternatives, and you could certainly get a wood burner in one. My mates got this one: http://www.belltent.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3 Its its very nice. Not the highest possible quality in terms of fittings - the guys are the same as the ones you'd get on your average synthetic tent, and its made in China, but its not bad. Worth checking out this style of tent if you're in the market for a canvas jobby. Its nice that you can roll up the walls and have a nice airy space.

If I was looking for a big canvas tent, i'd try hunting for an old light green canvas scout tent. Remember them being great when I was a kid and they have roll up sides too. Never seen anyone outside of the scouts using one, not even on the festival circuit where theres canva shelters aplenty.

LOL - I'm living in one now, for the forseeable future.

For one or two people , they are massive, especially the 5metre ones! more than enough space for a woodburning stove - got my wireless broadband, hookup electricity and a happy tom cat for company I'll try to post some video, if anyone's interested - drop me some PM's if you're interested.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE