cooking equipment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Guys......."Heat proof paint" is paint that isn't affected by heat, not paint that stops heat passing through it like "IRR Paint" does to IR light!!!! :eek:):

See what you've done now Bill!!!!! lol :naughty:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
uumm.. ok i dont know a lot about pint i jus figured heat proof pains going to stop heat like a water proof sealant!.. but surly a heat resistant pain is not going to be hugly conductive..

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Couldn't tell you mate....I'm no physicist but I'm sure that's what JP was talking about! :wave: and I'm fairly sure Bill was taking the mickey (in a nice way)! lol

Shouldn't effect the conductivity as the paint isn't "heat resistant"...it's just unaffected by heat....subtle difference. :p

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
PW, were you never in the Scouts ,Just grease the billy on the outside with some washing up liquid, that way you can keep your pots nice and shiney (if you are inclined that way ) as the carbon etc just washes off

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Alternatively leave the carbon deposits on the outside of the pot. Being nice and black they will inprove heat transfer to the pot and whatever is in it :super:

Dave

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
steve a said:
PW, were you never in the Scouts ,Just grease the billy on the outside with some washing up liquid, that way you can keep your pots nice and shiney (if you are inclined that way ) as the carbon etc just washes off

Tee hee hee....I'd forgotten about that...we used to do that in Scouts too...works a treat! :biggthump

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
MartiniDave said:
Alternatively leave the carbon deposits on the outside of the pot. Being nice and black they will inprove heat transfer to the pot and whatever is in it :super:

Dave

I will not improve the heat transfer more the opposit, it will get more heat from radiations like the sun but when it come s to fire it´s all about transfering heat from flame to pot and that will take longer.

Clean pots on the outside makes your water boil a few seconds faster, but i pdon´t like shiny things so i keep my pots black =)

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
Bill:

As far as I know, you're right about the cozy material. I believe it's called Reflectix. It's an insulating material sold here in rolls.

I know several ultralight backpackers who have made their own cozies, just as you propose.

Bear

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I like mine burnt n sooty so it doesn't bother me :lol: some one mentioned it to me and as some on here don't like there cook pans sooty, i thought id mention it ill keep quiet in future :puppy_dog :sulkoff: (and before you say it no its NOT a promise :rolmao: :nana: )

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Cooking equipment is not something I usually do... I find that most equipment tastes bad and has a very tough texture even after lots of cooking and seasoning.

I like my billy can and actual food... and I like to keep my stuff fairly clean, I managed to melt something on to one of my older frying pans and since then it smells bad and smokes, I think it was some kind of melted plastic. So, I now try and keep everything clean.

I have also found that I can cook a whole fry-up in the billy, or a stew or a cuppa so it's ideal for me.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I usually clean by billy/mug with a used teabag - it takes all the loose carbon off but leaves the billy with a very thin layer of baked carbon which builds up over time. I always clean my kit before leaving site and give it a thourough wash when I get home.

Cheers

JFW

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Poitjie (pronounced p-oi-k-ey) is Afrikaans, those pots are a what the voortrekkers used in the great trek, you fill them with anything, put them on the coals and eat poittjie kos (kos meaning food)! They are not cleaned after use as usually you just add more food to them (in a similar way to European cooking in the middle ages).

I once ate poitjie kos from a pot that hadn't been cleaned since 1942 when the old man was fighting in WWII in North africa, he still swore he got a little sand between his teeth now and again.

Greg

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
recieved my potjie and bake pot last week , really pleased with them and a top service from john muirden, baked a nice loaf of bread with dried onion flakes in the dough, lovely

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've been using a Swedish military Trangia quite a lot lately and it is really very good indeed.

Totally reliable and nothing to go wrong.
Works in high winds. No wonder Trangia call them storm cookers.
Aluminium pail and frypan have good capacity and very easy to clean.
Works very well with an open fire.
Meths is dirt cheap (I get 2 litre containers of colourless 'industrial methylated spirits')
Stable - doesn't get knocked over easily.
Discreet - very little flame and very quiet. And mine is green!
Compact, and you can store stuff inside it. Matches, brew kit, dehydrated grub and you have a self contained cooker/ration pack.
The supplied 300ml bottle gives you a long weekend's independence from civilisation.

The only downsides are 1) it is a bit slower than gas/petrol, but really this is not an issue for me - I like to slow down a bit in the woods. It is very quick to set up and boils 500ml in 6 minutes or so on a cold night.
And 2) It is definitely too heavy at about 1kg, by modern standards. I might choose something lighter if I was doing a lot of ascents and distance - though even then I'd think long and hard about leaving it behind, given its reliability. But for 90% of trips, it is superb.

Possibly the Zebra billy/trangia burner/clickstand/windshield combination is the best combination. Certainly lighter, but probably less bombproof.

The above link do the Swedish military Trangias for £8, but Ironclad do them for £10 delivered (actual post costs are about £4.50). I have seen them sold for £18. Even at that price they are good value for what they are.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE