Small hand made nails

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
OK heres another poser for you.

I've got my local library to get a copy of John Caspalls excellent "Makling fire and light in the home pre 1820" for their reference section. OK I can't take it out but there is a photocopier handy and I am looking for a copy to buy.

Oddly the match holder thats listed as elm in the Bryant and May spread sheet is down as oak in this book but I digress.

There are good photos of early wooden tinder boxes which I fancy reproducing, with the important dimensions so I'm going to acquire the requisite materials.

One thing I'm a bit stumped by is where to get small (up to a inch I'd guess) hand made nails. Short of making them myself does any one know of a source? I'd only need a few dozen in all .

PS thanks to the chap who told me about the book, it's the dogs!

Cheers

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!

But its just occured to me that I now need to research nails as no doubt they varied from period to period and from area to area.

OK anyone know a good ref' book on nails and nail making, my stuff stops with the Romans?

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
You might be able to find these in architectural salvage businesses.

We have one here in NH USA called "AdMac" where you can find just about anything from old windows, bricks, and nails of every description that they take from buildings slated for demolition.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It is very good indeed. I thought I was going to have no joy finding a copy, and if I did wouldn't be able to afford one.

Theres sections on lanterns, various types of candle stick, European fire pistons (not a large section) a section on American developments and what have you.

Once my copy has arrived the photocopies of the sections on tinderboxes and rush dips will be no use to me if someone wants them?

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I believe it was me who told you about the book...Good isnt it?!Did you get my pm about the Elm?
Oh, how about this book?http://www.shirebooks.co.uk/store/Nailmaking_9780852636060

Yup, you're de man! An excellent book, can't wait until my copy arrives.

I got your PM on about the 4th, I think I must have bodged the reply I thougth I'd sent and I've since cleared out my sent mail so will reply anew.

I love Shire books so will pick up that one the next time I see it.

Cheers

Tom

Last edited:

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
If they're going into the edge of boards to make boxes, I'd say that they'd be something like panel pins -- that is to say, skinny.

jimfbte

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2005
Hawaii, US
stuckinthewoods.info

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks for all the links fiolks, plenty of food for thought.

When the book arrives I will have to see if any details come out under a glass as I'd hate to get it wrong.

I suppose the wife would object if I took some pliers to some of her inherited furniture and replaced the nails with some modern ones... ;-{D)

ATB

Tom

The Tremont folks are highly likely to be getting an order from one of my mates State side when I can decide which ones would be most correct, they do a great range of shapes/styles.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oh woe is me! (;-{D)
WHSmiths have just e-mailed us that they can't get Caspalls book now despite avertising it as available. They cancelled the payment quick enough but I'm still gutted.

At least I still have access to the library copy and herself has her grim, I will not be defeated face on so she maybe will be able to get another. I'd be happy with a second hand one.

ATB

Tom

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Oh woe is me! (;-{D)
WHSmiths have just e-mailed us that they can't get Caspalls book now despite avertising it as available. They cancelled the payment quick enough but I'm still gutted.

At least I still have access to the library copy and herself has her grim, I will not be defeated face on so she maybe will be able to get another. I'd be happy with a second hand one.

ATB

Tom

Perhaps try some other booksellers from this list.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE