You tube Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You're missing the point........it takes too long to sift dross.

I made no criticism based on age, none on expensive kit, none on their chosen topics.

I do criticise bad advice, gravity defying travel sick making weird filming and the relentless pursuit of yawn.

To be honest I really do think that if some of the people who post there actually stopped and read some of the genuinely well meaning advice and criticism offered (I've read some of the replies) perhaps the offerings would improve.
Instead it really is getting worse.

cheers,
Toddy

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I like the youtube stuff, spend more time on there probably than on the awful TV.
One that does grind is when I see young bushcrafters being criticized.
They are passionate about the subject and should be encouraged, at least they are not down the town centre chucking a shopping trolley in the river or smashing shop windows like all the Chavs do.

Time and again I see their efforts savaged on forums by people who little or no contribution to You Tube.

These young bushcrafters should be praised for their mindset and passion, and how dare an armchair warrior sit there and chastise them.
They are a credit to themselves, their families and to bushcraft, and should be celebrated.
Of course they will make mistakes, and should be guided back on course when needed, but that should be done with praise and encouragement, not a public flaying.

Some are just jealous of them,and their energy and passion. No doubt some have inferiority complexes as a result.

All power to them, that's what I say. Support them in what they do. They are having fun, don't spoil it for them.

I like you tube also, and like you it's often better than what's on TV..

When it comes to recieving critique on what you have posted there are a couple of options as I see it.

1. Disable comments on the video when you post it on YT.
2. If you're posting a link to a video you've made on YT say in a forum of discussion group then what you're really doing as I see it is two fold:

A. promoting your video so folk can see it.
B. Inviting comment on it from the audience you are promoting it to.

Some questions we could ask ourselves are:

Should folk within that forum or discussion group therefore offer critique on it?

Is it reasonable to promote a video on YT or wherever to a wider audience and then not expect feedback or critique?

Is it reasonable to promote a YT video and only expect positive feedback?

I appreciate the effort producing self directing and producing even a short YT video takes good on folk for doing it..

cheers

John

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Unlike most of you, I'm a real novice at bushcraft. Yes, I've done a lot of camping in my life, and survived to tell the tales of some of the horrors with bad equipment and awful conditions, but that's not RM-style bushcraft! I'm keen to learn more, and so enjoy the Ray Mears series and books, and yes, I even enjoy Bear Grylls for the entertainment value (but not as much as I enjoy the sniping at him from those wot no better:) ) Does it really matter if he was in the TA SAS or the real thing? He's making a show for heavens sake, not interfering with your wife!

So, yes, I enjoy Utube - even the patently embarrassing ones. Can I learn how to hang a hammock from Utube? Yes, and more easily than reading MFI-style instructions. Of course some of it is wannabe Rambos - particularly the knife videos - but if I want to se what a stove looks like - and how it works - Utube often provides the answer. And - even better - its free!

So let me just say thanks to those posting on Utube. You make me smile, and often teach me useful things into the bargain!

You're missing the point........it takes too long to sift dross.

I made no criticism based on age, none on expensive kit, none on their chosen topics.

I do criticise bad advice, gravity defying travel sick making weird filming and the relentless pursuit of yawn.

To be honest I really do think that if some of the people who post there actually stopped and read some of the genuinely well meaning advice and criticism offered (I've read some of the replies) perhaps the offerings would improve.
Instead it really is getting worse.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy - I think you should get off the fence and let us know what you really think :D

I agree that the big problem with YT is sorting the wheat from the chaff - sometimes I'll watch 10 seconds, go "ah bless!" and move on - sometimes you get some gems though - I've just seen a couple of excellent knife reviews from Siberianfury and I'll always point a complete novice (who can't run to the full Ray Mears box set) to Justin's Natural Bushcraft page and videos.

I instruct for a living and I agree that those who want to instruct (via the medium of YT - I don't - I'm with Wayland in that I know my limitations) should pay close attention to the feedback. I also train instructors and feedback is the most important tool we use - and is pretty merciless to boot! It would help if they titled it more clearly - "A new way to skin a rabbit", "Four ways to light a fire" for example. Siberianfury - could have added "bushcraft knife techniques demonstrated" to his knife reviews (minor critique!).

Good thread this - no right or wrong - just opinions.

Rebirth

Oct 25, 2009
In a barrel, in a field
I love the noobtubes vids, some remind me of how much i have learnt, some are a visual lesson on how not to do something which sticks in my memory more than reading about it, some offer new ways of doing something, some of them are even innovative.
When Eastenders is on out comes my ipod touch and headphones, that way I please swmbo just by sitting there and I get to escape the mind grating, irritatingly dull and miserable pile of utter garbage that is Eastenders, so for that reason alone I thank all youtubers who post videos, both good and bad.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Where do you all find the time to spend watching them ? :confused:

I don't watch tv, and my net surfing time is frequent but in very short bursts.

I couldn't spend the hours with my backside glued to a chair that it would take to watch half a dozen of the videos at a time to find one that was worthwhile.

Life's too short as it is.

cheers,
Toddy

I find a favourite and then subscribe to his channel, I ignore the rubbish, anything by Dave Canterbury is usual top notch stuff

Stick to you favourites, maybe we should have a YT favourites chart, we could add our top guys

Why not add to this list, just copy and paste.

Mine are

1. Sean Mulhall,(silver Fox)
2. Dave Canterbury
3. Siberian Fury

Rebirth

Oct 25, 2009
In a barrel, in a field
Where do you all find the time to spend watching them ? :confused:

I don't watch tv, and my net surfing time is frequent but in very short bursts.

I couldn't spend the hours with my backside glued to a chair that it would take to watch half a dozen of the videos at a time to find one that was worthwhile.

Life's too short as it is.

cheers,
Toddy

I'm currently subscribed to 114 channels all outdoor related, out of all those only 2 or 3 videos are uploaded each day, often no new videos for several days, each video is an average 5 mins long so it doesn't take up much of my time to catch up. I'll watch them in the bath or on the bog but soap time is usually best time to catch up or days like today when im too knackered to do anything constructive. I make sure i find the time to catch up because i love watching other people doing the things i enjoy.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
youtube agreat invention but and i agree with everyone whos says yes there is rubbish but why critisize in a bad way make it constructive cos u tube is abrilliant tool just like this forum and has taught me alot along with this forum and its people.

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
Quality is a bit mixed, but then so is the TV. Frankly even the worst quality You-tube bush craft video is more bearable than Dancing Factor Y in their Eyes or the latest offering of drivel that purports to be entertainment. Also they generally avoid the overly romantic tree-huggerish/noble savage preaching that is all too evident in programs like RM's.

Quality to Crap ratio wise, I favour Youtube over the tele.

Anyway, I've undernoted some of the stuff I consider to have some quality that hasn't been mentioned already.

bushcraftonfire (one of my favourites)
survivalistboards (a bit of a character, but some decent videos. An acquired taste perhaps)
hobbexp

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
If I can just quote another poster who said:

"There are two types of people in the world - doers and critics.

Those who are so critical of the standard of videos on YouTube should maybe get off their bums and upload some instructional vids of their own, if they have anything unique to offer that is, instead of criticising those who’ve taken the time and effort to do so. Put up, or in this case up-load, or shut up; perhaps.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but I think YouTube is a wonderful way to share information and there are some excellent videos out there. For sure there are some that are not so good but there are some diamonds in the rough too.

And no one has to ‘endure’ anything, if you don’t like them don’t watch them, or make better ones of your own. "

I actually totally disagree with that.
I myself am actually a doer, a do nothing, and a critc.

I have taught bushcraft in the past, as well as learned the odd thing in my army career, but also acknowledge I know virtually nothing about bushcraft!.

I see many vids on youtube, and some are good, and many are quite poor IMHO. I will watch either, as I never know when i am going to learn something new.
There are of course the videos than you can subscribe to their makers, and buy them online...I find some of these to be the worst type of con trick on youtube, with one bloke who has read a book, then deciding to tell others how to live in the wild, and often giving out incorrect details (some of which would make you ill if you followed them.

As for critics, these can be funny too, and some seem to think that Ray Mears (oddly known as RM sometimes on this site) or Mors have invented certain techniques, which others then copy!
I do like to watch Ray or Mors, but am smart enough to realise they are only using the same techniques as others have for thousands of years. Even Ray at his best only has the same bushcraft knowledge as the average three year old native Amazonian child. What makes him watchable (unlike some of the youtube posters) is that he knows that, and does not brag!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE