You tube Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Justin you and Ashley I happily exempt from any criticism of You tube, but even you have to admit that's kind of a rarity.

I don't think it's unfair to criticise, after all many *are* out there purely for their own benefit, or perhaps because their egos take them beyond their abilities.

I don't watch many simply because the majority are dire.
I suppose that makes the good ones stand out more though :D

cheers,
Toddy

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
Justin you and Ashley I happily exempt from any criticism of You tube

Thanks Toddy :D, but we always welcome criticism (as long as it's constructive). We're always open to other ways of doing things and new ideas, so we enjoy reading others opinions of our vids and our site.

My worry with a thread like this, is that reading it would put off younger or maybe less confident bushcrafters from contributing via a media such as YouTube, for fear of being judged harshly by members here. Some bushcrafters simply want to share their learning process, or their enjoyment of their hobby with their peers.

I'm not denying that there is a lot of rubbish on YouTube. I just think it is too good a source of great information, to be put off by trawling through a bit of tat... How is a Google or forum search any different ;)?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Speed.

I read, and I do mean read, not skim, a novel in an hour. I can manage a textbook in about two.
Google's effortless, especially with such good sites available.

It takes so damned long to search for the nuggets of gold in all the dross on You tube :sigh:
It's an exercise in frustration.

I also have a real detest of someone playing silly b*ggers with camera angles, almost as though they expect folk to admire their gymnastics :rolleyes:
I don't watch much tv but the minute the Blair Witch idiocy starts I switch off. It's a much over rated fad and rapidly becoming terribly dated.

Not everyone agrees though; as I said, my 2p worth.

cheers,
Toddy

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Quote Toddy I don't think it's unfair to criticise, after all many *are* out there purely for their own benefit, or perhaps because their egos take them beyond their abilities.

Hit the nail on the head there.....the majority of this stuff is just trash made by individuals looking for 15 minutes of fame, maybe they should spend a few years acquiring the knowledge and skills before passing off inaccurate and amateurish rubbish to the masses.

PS Just my two bobs worth.........................................................good to see your still around timboggle.............................the last I heard you were in an old folks home.;)

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
Speed.

I read, and I do mean read, not skim, a novel in an hour. I can manage a textbook in about two.
Google's effortless, especially with such good sites available.

It takes so damned long to search for the nuggets of gold in all the dross on You tube :sigh:
It's an exercise in frustration.

I also have a real detest of someone playing silly b*ggers with camera angles, almost as though they expect folk to admire their gymnastics :rolleyes:
I don't watch much tv but the minute the Blair Witch idiocy starts I switch off. It's a much over rated fad and rapidly becoming terribly dated.

Not everyone agrees though; as I said, my 2p worth.

cheers,
Toddy

That's fair comment :)

When it comes to personal taste, who can argue?

I'm the opposite (hence my pro-Youtube stance), I couldn't read a novel in a hour, it takes me a few days at best. I am however, visually stimulated, so for me Youtube can be an excellent source of information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Generally I learn best by watching someone actually do something, so Youtube 'ought' to be prime material for me. It's not. Just too much mince.

Ye cannae please everybody :D

cheers,
M

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
What really surprises me.. is that there are some good videos on youtube... Never expected that when youtube started...

I guess it's the wrong channel if you don't want your quality video to be lost in the heaps of rubbish.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What really surprises me.. is that there are some good videos on youtube... Never expected that when youtube started...

Agreed, I think it's a great medium for letting people share their knowledge to a massive audience. The rating system seems to leave a lot to be desired though, I still find it hard to pick out the good ones from all the carp.

How many times do we need to see a spotty little runt show us the contents of his EDC by laying it out on his bed and then take the next five minutes to explain what a bahco laplander does.

There's just too much repitition of what uncle raymondo showed us five years ago, but at the same time there's some original stuff which makes the trawling worthwhile sometimes. I tend to prefer the videos of trips folk have taken and also the kit reviews are pretty useful.

Woodlark

Oct 18, 2006
Surrey, UK
I'm afraid that I see life thro rose tinted glasses!! Despite seeing that theres a lot of criticism of "amateur" stuff I do think that if its no good I don't have to watch it!!! Tell you what though - it's a tool and as such has its uses: I've been eating pike for 30 years and just tonight happened to get to a Youtube vid (via THIS site!) of how to fillet and bone Pike effectively - I've been fannying around with the y bones for years - taking them out after poaching the carcass - no longer, I've a new technique to practice!!
Don't knock these guys folks, they are adding to what we all want to encourage. Good, indifferent and occassionally bad, we all need a bit of encouragement!!

Having read this threat and taking on-board lots of different views.

I have another way of thinking (Or rather throwing a cat amongst the pigeons as the saying goes)

Having got a digital camcorder for Christmas I'm about to make a series of videos on You-tube.

No the normal I'm an expert an what to show the world my way...

but rather I'm a former arm chair bushcrafter who is about to put all his theory knowledge into practice, yeah sure I have more experience than none, but I'm a long way from calling myself a seasoned bushcrafter.

My aim is to show others how I'm learning whether I succeed or fail, and to learn from any constructive comments, and have to have a laugh when things go a bit pear shaped..

and most importantly of all to show other you can have fun outdoors,,,

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Ive been wasting my time by watching youtubes bushcraft related videos,especially comments they get and ive seen some odd behaviour too from older,rich kids and grown ups towards young blokes that are just on their first steps,learning their first skill and representing them.

I find it very rude and annoying you see,when someone picks up some kid as his target...
I mean IF id be just asmall boy and id be all proud and excited,and i would have tried my best in doing my own first video,lets say about making lean to,of fir ewith firesteel,or what ever.....then comes some guy who owns everything from the famous knives to latest bushcraft elite´s approved clothing..and says in very straightforward way that my job just sucks because of this and that,and i have the cheap mora,which sucks too...and even my clothing paid by my not-so rich parents,arent the swanzi or fjallreven´s latest line,isnt ok either...

i mean ,whats the deal in posting comments that are obviously made just for offending and stomping some kids works results in to ground level ?

offcourse,its good to get comments and thats part of youtube´s nature,but id rather teell in a fair way,how he can make it better and rather cheer him up,to get one more happy bushcrafter in to world,than pee on his video.After all,bushcrafts is a lot better hobby than beating each other and using dope etc,and kids are what we were once,and kids are what are here after us.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
You're right my freind. I went to see RM last year and he said that there were a lot of "collectors" in bushcraft now: those who think that the clothes have to be of a certain type etc. Dont get me wrong, its good to know you have stuff that will last a long time but we all have to start somewhere and it is actualy Knowledge that is way more important. A mora is a perfectly adequate knife if you know how to use it. its nice to have a knife that looks really nice but if you cant afford it then fine. Ive seen some amazing knife work done with a Mora (just watch Freddie on youtube). I hope people are'nt put off by the people who think they know everything.

Stu

Ive been wasting my time by watching youtubes bushcraft related videos,especially comments they get and ive seen some odd behaviour too from older,rich kids and grown ups towards young blokes that are just on their first steps,learning their first skill and representing them.

I find it very rude and annoying you see,when someone picks up some kid as his target...
I mean IF id be just asmall boy and id be all proud and excited,and i would have tried my best in doing my own first video,lets say about making lean to,of fir ewith firesteel,or what ever.....then comes some guy who owns everything from the famous knives to latest bushcraft elite´s approved clothing..and says in very straightforward way that my job just sucks because of this and that,and i have the cheap mora,which sucks too...and even my clothing paid by my not-so rich parents,arent the swanzi or fjallreven´s latest line,isnt ok either...

i mean ,whats the deal in posting comments that are obviously made just for offending and stomping some kids works results in to ground level ?

offcourse,its good to get comments and thats part of youtube´s nature,but id rather teell in a fair way,how he can make it better and rather cheer him up,to get one more happy bushcrafter in to world,than pee on his video.After all,bushcrafts is a lot better hobby than beating each other and using dope etc,and kids are what we were once,and kids are what are here after us.

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
It's the nature of the beast though, Youtube is there for anyone to upload a video should they so wish. Maybe it's not the best place to go if you want a proper instructional video.
If you had some horrible disease would you seek out an expert opinion or log into "Yahoo Answers" to find the best way to be cured?

Well said, it's just there for entertainment, if you happen to find something useful then that's a bonus.

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
As someone who has produced some distictly average vids, I would say that the burning drive to produce something is partly a pro active response to the dross on television, and partly a wish to showcase what we do for a hobby.

There's no point illustrating something to an expert in that field, it's more for those who are interested in the subject matter - everyone does stuff differently.

Theres also the attraction of making television - the technical and artistic side to creating something wholly one's own, where you get to put you view points across and learn from your mistakes - you quickly come to the conclusion that there is a reason that TV takes a whole team of people and tons of equipment to make.

That said, I've learned lots of tecniques via You Tube and got to try some of them out.

Also, if you have no face to face contact with other bush crafters, I think it's a pretty positive place to start. It's also nice to 'give something back'.

For me, it's also given me the chance to show people I know what it is I actually do, when I go camping in the woods, and makes me seem like less of a hairy freak, who owns knives and axes. I think it has altered some perceptions of bush crafting for the better among people who would have otherwise remained ignorant.

I'm not saying there isnt a load of poorly produced dross out there, but if you have the time and patience to sift through and to try out stuff for yourself, you will find some real gems and useful information out there.

Nov 7, 2008
U.K
No offence to some of you but find some post's on this thread rather "downgrading" for lack of better word's to not just the younger generation but also to newbie's into the world of bushcraft.

I don't see why some have to criticize on someone else's hard work,The saying "If you have got nothing good to say keep quite" Youtube video's take a fair bit of time and work just look at Nutnfancy's or Wilderness outfitters archery channel and many other's like it.I understand giving constructive criticism but stereotyping people about talking for one item for 5-10 minute's but if you leave the smallest detail out on Youtube you get "flamed" for not talking about it. So all i ask is that you don't start pointing finger's and b********g them because you stereotype them as there is some S**T on Youtube but as V4V said if you take the time there is some good information.

Just my 2p

regards,

I like the youtube stuff, spend more time on there probably than on the awful TV.
One that does grind is when I see young bushcrafters being criticized.
They are passionate about the subject and should be encouraged, at least they are not down the town centre chucking a shopping trolley in the river or smashing shop windows like all the Chavs do.

Time and again I see their efforts savaged on forums by people who little or no contribution to You Tube.

These young bushcrafters should be praised for their mindset and passion, and how dare an armchair warrior sit there and chastise them.
They are a credit to themselves, their families and to bushcraft, and should be celebrated.
Of course they will make mistakes, and should be guided back on course when needed, but that should be done with praise and encouragement, not a public flaying.

Some are just jealous of them,and their energy and passion. No doubt some have inferiority complexes as a result.

All power to them, that's what I say. Support them in what they do. They are having fun, don't spoil it for them.

Nov 7, 2008
U.K
I like the youtube stuff, spend more time on there probably than on the awful TV.
One that does grind is when I see young bushcrafters being criticized.
They are passionate about the subject and should be encouraged, at least they are not down the town centre chucking a shopping trolley in the river or smashing shop windows like all the Chavs do.

Time and again I see their efforts savaged on forums by people who little or no contribution to You Tube.

These young bushcrafters should be praised for their mindset and passion, and how dare an armchair warrior sit there and chastise them.
They are a credit to themselves, their families and to bushcraft, and should be celebrated.
Of course they will make mistakes, and should be guided back on course when needed, but that should be done with praise and encouragement, not a public flaying.

Some are just jealous of them,and their energy and passion. No doubt some have inferiority complexes as a result.

All power to them, that's what I say. Support them in what they do. They are having fun, don't spoil it for them.

Have a virtual pint on myself mate :) I fully understand where you are coming from and it echo's what i said in my post glad to see you have the same view's on it goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE