There's an app. for that

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlewolf

Feb 16, 2009
England
The possibilties are endless for PDA/Smartphone and Iphone apps, but as for whats out there and available thats another story. Lets not forget The mobile phone is probably the number one means of emergency communication in europe so it got to rank high on any ones list of must take kit. (Also consider that you may not be the one who needs to make contact but that you may need to be contacted - got kids a wife elderly relative?? anyone of them may need you whilst your out.

As for apps and uses for phones generally though, here are a few of my Ideas:

*GPS navigation and Route tracking I'm thinking Memory map
*Plant and Fungi Identification.
*First Aid Prompts and Advise. No substitute for real training but under stress not everyone rembers!
*Taking Photo's and the asking on here what Things are from animal tracks prints to fungus etc (most Modern phones have a decent camera)
*Medical Information - Modern phines can hold a Phenominal amount of information, You can create a file with your information on including medical info allergies and such, contact next of kin etc and all saved to a memory card - So if you were knocked out and found by a passer by or they might have information to help you with.
*Navigation tips. the kind of things you find in the SAS guide and Constelation diagrams to aid night navigation.

I'd guess there are incidental uses too. the screens are pretty bright so they can be used as a make shift torch or signal light,might be possible to use the battery in an emergency be used to start a fire by shorting it out? (dont try that and blame me).

I think theres definately a place for phones in bushcraft, but they should not be relied upon as they have obvious weaknesses. Theres nothing to replace knowledge and skills at the end of the day. I think at a minimum a basic phone switched off in your pocket is a must.

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
GPS2OS - gives you a 10 digit OS grid ref (or USNG)
GPS Lite (Motion X) very good GPS package as others have mentioned
GB Lite - Full UK OS maps in 1:250,000 scale. Yes it's only 250k scale, but the whole of the UK for 3 quid was a good deal I thought. Plus it's stored locally so no need for network connection.

Oh, and DoodleJump.....

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
There's a Java based application I have on my phone which acts as a star chart, can add or remove planets, stars and constellations from its display and even turn the display red for night viewing. It takes up a lot less space than the plastic spinney planesphere I have upstairs and I don't need a torch to be able to see it properly.
I can also search for objects on its database, which is nice.

Works for me:)

Rebirth

Oct 25, 2009
In a barrel, in a field
Lofty wisemans SAS survival app is now available currently priced at £3.99. It includes the entire book plus video clips from trueways DVD, photos and morse code flash light thingy, I have bought it and have to say it's well worth the cash.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
There's a Java based application I have on my phone which acts as a star chart, can add or remove planets, stars and constellations from its display and even turn the display red for night viewing. It takes up a lot less space than the plastic spinney planesphere I have upstairs and I don't need a torch to be able to see it properly.
I can also search for objects on its database, which is nice.

Works for me:)

Cool - what app is that mate - it is JUST what I have been looking for! - the only downside its that it will probably make me want an iphone that i don't need :rolleyes:

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Ive got 2 on my IPhone "star walk" and "distant suns" both act along with the in built compass as a stella compass, great app's not seen the lofty one yet, ill get that when i get home! ;)

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Yeah Starwalk is really nice, even though I don't have the digital compass. I also have TreeID which isn't bad - it's got an OK function to ID trees based on their features such as height, bark, leaves, etc but haven't really used it much yet.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but the collins gem SAS book thingy has "new Iphone app" on the front cover. Anyone looked this up? Nearly got the book today. Are these books any good as a quick ref? I must start a bushcraft library sometime. Techniques and identification books. Are the Lofty SAS books worth entering the library?

Also I wonder if there are any interesting Blackberry apps for bushcrft.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Cool - what app is that mate - it is JUST what I have been looking for! - the only downside its that it will probably make me want an iphone that i don't need :rolleyes:

Mines not an iphone, its a Sony Ericsson W995 and it seems that most phones that can run Java aplications and have enough memory can run it.
You have to set it up for the latitude and longitude and the first time it starts up it took quite some time to work its self out but now its set up its going in no time.
I like lots of the things iPhones do but they are a fair old brick to carry about unless you wear a a manbag, and I don't.

HERE it is.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Mines not an iphone, its a Sony Ericsson W995 and it seems that most phones that can run Java aplications and have enough memory can run it.
You have to set it up for the latitude and longitude and the first time it starts up it took quite some time to work its self out but now its set up its going in no time.
I like lots of the things iPhones do but they are a fair old brick to carry about unless you wear a a manbag, and I don't.

HERE it is.

Thanks for the link, now got it on my nokia goodjob

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Thanks for the link, now got it on my nokia goodjob

Set the preferences up for Local (normal) to see the sky as it is where you are or Equatorial if you want everything to rotate round Polaris and see the bits that aren't visible cos its on the southern hemisphere.

I far prefer the local (Normal) setting.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but the collins gem SAS book thingy has "new Iphone app" on the front cover. Anyone looked this up? Nearly got the book today. Are these books any good as a quick ref? I must start a bushcraft library sometime. Techniques and identification books. Are the Lofty SAS books worth entering the library?

Also I wonder if there are any interesting Blackberry apps for bushcrft.

the collins gem books are great for a handy reference - the food for free and the fungi are very handy and i often carry them!

I'd also be interested in apps for blackberrys as that is what i carry (courtesy of work of course ;) )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE